No announcement yet.

What were the Mozilla idiots thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What were the Mozilla idiots thinking?

Long ago I used Netscape. 4.0 was awesome. First tabbed browser, lightweight and fast. Now I'm a Chrome guy for 90% of the time.

But I do still have Firefox, with some seldom used bookmarks that I'm too lazy to migrate. So it does get used from time to time.

Fired it up yesterday, and I need to update to the latest greatest version. OK maybe they fixed the mem hog problems and took it back to where it use to be, instead of the IE clone that it had become.

No that didn't happen.

What I did get was a popup saying tat I needed to disable the Realplayer plugin because it causes stability issues.

Are they out of their friggin mind? who designs a "Update" that doesn't work with realplayer? One of the most popular video players around. The app thats been around since the mid 90s
    Guess Firefox users are just too cool to go to You tube. Or watch imbedded videos.

Guess I'll clean it off the puter now

Gunny, I hate to tell you this, but no one really uses RealPlayer anymore. It hasn't been one of the most popular video player in years. Windows Media Player 12 as a basic program does a pretty decent job, and players like VLC, BSPlayer and Winamp, to name a few, can play just about every single file format there is out there, and then some.

If you still wanna play something that you think RealPlayer can play that one of the above programs can't play, then all you need to do is download the K-Lite codec pack, one of the most comprehensive list of audio and video codecs you will ever find online.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Attached Files
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Amazing to find somebody still tolerating the buggy bloated out of date mess that is real player in 2012!

Like Bigross said, use something like VLC Media player or Winamp.
        For Audio collection management Foobar2000 is excellent.
        A good codec pack like Klite or CCCP is also essential.

Firefox's frequent version updates are a tad annoying yes, but lately the memory hog issues have reduced a bit.

I still swear by Opera though. Fast, light and doesnt spy on you.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

What's RealPlayer?

I don't remember Netscape 4.0 with tabbed browsing. I might still have a copy of Netscape 4.08 somewhere. Maybe I'll fire it up on my Windows 98 machine to take a look.

Bolo pretty much nailed it. Windows Media Player with CCCP and VLC player as backup will pretty much take care of all your audio/video needs.
          Last edited by gunnut; 15 Jun 12,, 18:42.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

GOM Player.

Plays. All. Formats. Better. Than. Any. Other. Player.

/thread

Btw...some oldie pr0n are only on RM or RA format and it's good to appreciate them files with the player built for it, so I can see Gunny's reluctance to give up Real Player.....

Comment

I use GOM or DivX for my downloaded videos.

The issue with real is that it was the embedded player in Firefox. So right after the update I try to watch a GG video on Youtube and No Joy. To design an update that doesn't work with default player is beyond stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                I use GOM or DivX for my downloaded videos.

The issue with real is that it was the embedded player in Firefox. So right after the update I try to watch a GG video on Youtube and No Joy. To design an update that doesn't work with default player is beyond stupid.
                Erm as far as I know youtue relies on flash player and HTML5 not real player.
                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Well, thats us old guys for you.

Ever since Prodigy started charging for service (93) its been hopeless.

(go ahead youngsters Google it)

Comment

MMm, Prodigy BBSs.

-dale

Comment

First I'll need to google youngster...

As for Firefox 11.whatever. I've had freezing problems with it every day so I use Chrome as my daily browser...

Comment

Start watching from 1:10

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
                        X