Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ludicrous or Just?

D'Arcy, Monk punished for photos by AOC

I thought this deserves a special thread all by it's lonesome.

So here we go: these two fellas are going home after their Olympic event as punishment for posing with guns.

My sentiments - they should show up to their heat, then walk off as the beeper sounds.

Here's the caveat, they both allegedly have histories for misbehaviour - although I'm not exactly sure how posing with guns is misbehaving?!
    Last edited by Chunder; 09 Jun 12,, 09:46.
    Ego Numquam

I think the OAC are getting a little power mad. They are allowed to compete but not to be there for the closing ceremony..how strange!

Comment

Bullshit , posing in a legal shop , WTF does that constitute :pari:?????????????? mind if they were posing with fosters lager that would be justified

Comment

I think that ruling by the committee is sort of BS, its not as though there aren't olympic competitions that involve firearms. Whats next are you going to say a person in the Biathalon can't be pictured with a gun?

It seems though that in this case the committee is abusing its power to gain more because these guys are known problem children and lots of aussies are currently fairly anti gun in the urban public.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
          these guys are known problem children and lots of aussies are currently fairly anti gun in the urban public.
          ...and I think that is one reason they have been jumped on from a great height. If they had posed in a BMW or a Porshe it would not have been such a problem but as they have already been deemed 'bad boys' and guns are seen as aggressive the two have been glued together to make them out to be Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. There must be more to this than they are telling us

Comment

I would like to see how they Quantify how posing with a gun constitutes bad though.
            Ego Numquam

Comment

I'm firmly in the 'a pox on all your houses' category.

I'm heartily sick of sporting bodies acting like athletes are indentured servants (there was a similar blowup a few years ago when some photos of swimmers at a 'hookers & deviants ball' were posted). This is just a bit of silliness that would probably be a one day story if anyone else did it, but the assumption by the AOC that it effectively owns athletes is offensive.

On the other hand, D'Arcy is an arrogant gutter crawling little thug who is lucky to be allowed to represent his nation. For those outside the bubble of sport-obsessed Australia, D'Arcy missed the last games after he king hit another swimmer in a bar & broke his jaw. The other guy has permenant injuries, D'Arcy acted like he was the victim until it became clear he needed to look contrite to continue his career. He declared bankruptcy to avoid paying the damages awarded against him. personally I hope he goes out in the first round & ends up a trivia question. The fact that he won't get to hang around after his races to shag other athletes & get drunk has an element of justice about it, even if the specific reason is super trivial.

This is all neatly summed up by the headline 'dumb & dumber'. It isn't like these guys couldn't have forseen this. Too stupid to be let out without an adult.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Im still trying to work out exactly what they did that was so wrong to be honest. They were at a gun store, they posed for some pics with firearms and put them on facebook (or twitter or whatever). They broke no laws, they were not rude, immoral, nasty or otherwise shitty human beings and they are getting their arses kicked for it.

Yeah D'Arcy is a scumbag, no argument here but at least crucify him for something thats genuinely wrong rather than pull a stunt like this (and being D'Arcy i guarantee he would give them a legitimate reason to act if you give him enough rope... hes one of those people that are just hardwired to fuck up).

Im kinda sick of the way things are going here were people jump up and down for perceived rather than actual offences. There's really no need for these organisations, and society in general to be so damned precious.
                The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                  Im still trying to work out exactly what they did that was so wrong to be honest. They were at a gun store, they posed for some pics with firearms and put them on facebook (or twitter or whatever). They broke no laws, they were not rude, immoral, nasty or otherwise shitty human beings and they are getting their arses kicked for it.
                  No different to those pics of Stephanie Rice & co. a few years ago. The AOC & its parasite bodies take the 'if anyone might be offended it must be bad' approach. I suspect the fact that one of the guys posing as a 'gangsta' actually does have form as a thug probably drove a heavier hand than might otherwise have been used.

Yeah D'Arcy is a scumbag, no argument here but at least crucify him for something thats genuinely wrong rather than pull a stunt like this (and being D'Arcy i guarantee he would give them a legitimate reason to act if you give him enough rope... hes one of those people that are just hardwired to fuck up).
                  D'Arcy cares about one thing - swimming for Australia (actually two - himself). This is about the best & perhaps last chance to slap the little turd upside the head some. Given that he effectively got away with his assault I'm prepared to let him hang for this.

Im kinda sick of the way things are going here were people jump up and down for perceived rather than actual offences. There's really no need for these organisations, and society in general to be so damned precious.
                  Agree. Welcome to a world where the opinions of the loud, the precious, the nasty & the stupid set the agenda. Sporting organizations are particularly bad examples, but the creeping power of employers over all aspects of their employee's lives is a disturbing phenomenon. The only consolation here is that this time the guy in the frame actually deserves it.
                  sigpic

Comment

It seems we are in a sort of Victorian age of correctness, where this time around it's not on sexual mores, which hardly exist anymore, but on public image. Ladies were free to show an ankle back in Victoria's day, but as likely as not to suffer banishment from the quilting club.
                    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

I guess that the Australian Army is going to get banished from Afghanistan and sent home then....

Although the short one making ducklips deserves it....

Personally unless they are in trouble for trigger control this is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                        I guess that the Australian Army is going to get banished from Afghanistan and sent home then....

Although the short one making ducklips deserves it....

Personally unless they are in trouble for trigger control this is a joke.
                        Just in case I haven't mentioned this already, get over the American obsession with guns. The guns are a very minor issue here. As I already stated, athletes have been disciplined in the past for getting dressed up as hookers at a party. These two have form. Get over the guns, you are completely missing the point.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ya know, if they hate the bloke so much - why not just not select him, rather than use equally dubious reasons for dismissal.

Not very many get away with his sort of history.

The whole thing makes me very worried about what we have become as a society. The event in itself does not gain much attention publicly - other than their reprimand.

When I first heard about it, I was in the archery store getting some tips. The sales person mentioned it & instantly I felt depressed, changing the topic, I said I noticed that they seemed to have an incredible turn over of bows. "Yes, there's been a spike, rattling on about gun laws is causing many to come over."

From the perspective of a bow shooter now it seemed somewhat alarming. In the same store are crossbows (you can get them in SA) but what sold me on the bow was the fact you can reload quicker, meaning you can move onto the next target. About the same FPS as a crossbow. Yet crossbows are the 'bad boys'. The correlation was that, all it needed was for some whacko to try something with a bow and wreck it for the rest of us, and society wouldn't kick up a stink. The bad don't care about the repercussions for the good, and I felt therefore it was only a matter of time this relatively new sport of mine would become under siege. It wasn't lost on me that 'because they are assholes, no one gives a damn'.

hence the thread title.
                          Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
                            Ya know, if they hate the bloke so much - why not just not select him, rather than use equally dubious reasons for dismissal.
                            My thoughts exactly. They have form and are not a good example to youngsters coming through the ranks. They see these two and emulate them thinking it's cool. Remove them from the shopping list in the first place would be the best way forward for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
                              From the perspective of a bow shooter now it seemed somewhat alarming. In the same store are crossbows (you can get them in SA) but what sold me on the bow was the fact you can reload quicker, meaning you can move onto the next target. About the same FPS as a crossbow. Yet crossbows are the 'bad boys'. The correlation was that, all it needed was for some whacko to try something with a bow and wreck it for the rest of us, and society wouldn't kick up a stink. The bad don't care about the repercussions for the good, and I felt therefore it was only a matter of time this relatively new sport of mine would become under siege. It wasn't lost on me that 'because they are assholes, no one gives a damn'.

hence the thread title.
                              Having used a bow(s) for many years (compound, long, and finally settled on a recurve), these are one shot firearms. Maybe in a war setting that you can reload fast enough for the next target but usually, the prey (human or otherwise) already moved out of range by the time you cocked for the second arrow. Moving targets need volley, indirect fire against massed targets. You're not going to hit a moving target by aiming, at least not with any bow heavy enough to kill.

And unless you have trained for years, you're not going to fire more than 5 shots in a row before your arm tires and need a breather.

Comment

Working...
                              X