Julian Assange - Extradition or Asylum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
    As far as I understand asylum rules, and I am no lawyer of any sort but have just the read laws, if a person may be killed by being sent home - or extradited - then you cannot send them home or extradite them. That does not mean that Assange cannot be extradited if the UK Government is given assurances he will not face a death sentence.
    That's not the way it read: The UK guaranteed that it wouldn't send Assange to any country that employs the death penalty or uses torture.

Comment

• Originally posted by montgomery View Post
      Like I said, it's not my theory.
      Neither was 'Blitzkreig' allied military theory in 1940. Didn't matter a damn and France was lost. It does not matter what "your theory" may be - from 'the CIA/Bilderburg Group/lizard aliens' are behind every wrong if you ignore a real doctrine propounded by the Muscovite Chief of Staff which fooled alot of the world in Crimea, but was arguably not that 'new' but just a clearer statement of Soviet era KGB (as opposed to FSB as they call themselves now) intelligence doctrine.

Comment

Neither was 'Blitzkreig' allied military theory in 1940. Didn't matter a damn and France was lost. It does not matter what "your theory" may be - from 'the CIA/Bilderburg Group/lizard aliens' are behind every wrong if you ignore a real doctrine propounded by the Muscovite Chief of Staff which fooled alot of the world in Crimea, but was arguably not that 'new' but just a clearer statement of Soviet era KGB (as opposed to FSB as they call themselves now) intelligence doctrine.
        I'm not quite sure what points your making. But I will comment briefly on the Crimea. In retrospect I would say it was a bridge too far on the part of the US/Nato. It left Russia/Putin with no choice but to hold the referendum which I would suggest was guaranteed to go the way it did, and then hold on to the Crimea's strategic importance to Russia.

I suggest that it's a done deal and one that can never be traded away to the US/Nato for other concessions.

Otherwise, let's stay with Assange on this thread.

Comment

• "US/NATO" whatever that means, was never in Crimea. Not one Western soldier stationed there or planning to "invade". You may as well tell me the aliens were trying to take over the Sevastopol base, which Moscow had a lease on until 2042 (agreed with their guy Yanukovych). Ukraine was not about to threaten that in 2014. The Muscovites themselves unilaterally terminated the lease in March 2014.
          Last edited by snapper; 11 Apr 19,, 21:32.

Comment

As far as I understand asylum rules, and I am no lawyer of any sort but have just the read laws, if a person may be killed by being sent home - or extradited - then you cannot send them home or extradite them. That does not mean that Assange cannot be extradited if the UK Government is given assurances he will not face a death sentence.
            That is not what is facing the extradiction court. It is not the court's job to determine what might happened. Assange has not been found guilty yet and is presumed innocent. It may well be that he would be found not guilty. If the extradiction courts have no say what happens after a finding of not guilty, then the extradiction courts have no say to what happens after a guilty finding. The court's job is to determine if the extradiction is valid, nothing else.

Besides, Assange is not going to be executed. Since wikileaks have been created, he has made a lot of contacts that is an intelligence boom to the spooks. If anything, I worry about Russian visitors and some glow in the dark vials and make sure he washes his hands often.
            Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 12 Apr 19,, 04:47.
            Chimo

Comment

• According to Reuters "Moreno took a dim view of Assange when he took office in 2017, ordering the Australian hacker to cut back his online political commentary, stop riding his skateboard in the halls of the embassy and clean up after his pet cat.

Moreno’s government accused WikiLeaks of being behind an anonymous website that said Moreno’s brother had created offshore companies that his family used to fund a luxurious lifestyle in Europe while Moreno was a delegate to a U.N. agency."

Sounds paranoid!

Comment

• I believe he was arrested for breaking bail though the US has apparently filed for extradition. I think the 'glow in dark medicine' with love from Uncle Vova is a real possibility.

Comment

• Trump says he loves Julian Assange and Wikileaks close to 140 times during his campaign speeches.

Trump also said that he doesn't know anything about Julian Assange and Wikileaks.

We can safely assume Trump's dead right on one or the other claim! Now it appears that Trump's legal team is going to have a 'father and son' qirh Julian and suggest a chance of a pardon if he stays quiet.

As Trump drags the US deeper and deeper into the cesspool of corruption. The world gets to laugh about it but it might not be the last laugh, with a corporate psychopath for president and Bolton, the psychotic hawk at his side. Dog help us all!

Comment

• Speakng on the US's ordered extradition of Julian Assang:

https://original.antiwar.com/Nozomi_...-at-all-costs/

There's a wildcard to consider on whether it can happen. Assange likely knows everything there is to know on Trump's collusion with Russia during the election campaign. And now it makes perfect sense if it turns out that the US has chosen to move on Assange at this strange point in time, which has the potential of destroying Trump regardless of whether the Mueller report is kept secret!

It's a seldom mentioned fact that the US Deep state would not sit still and be dismantled by a corporate psychopath such as Trump. The FBI are just fancy cops and they always will hold true to those ideals. They're not going to allow their country to go to hell all that easily. Comey is going to have the last laugh, be it provided by Assange or some other way.

Comment

Working...
                    X