No announcement yet.

Iowa on the high seas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Coast Guard has placed a 100 yard "No Zone" around the ship. Access to the ship will be restricted to certain top personnel of PBC. I just got my clearance info a few minutes ago and plan to do a quickie inspection. We are having a birthday party for my eldest grandson and our grand daughter tomorrow so I have to be in Santa Fe Springs by 1500.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

From Daniel P: Well, I can tell you the where, and approximately the when. It was here in RI. I have pictures I took of her showing the coverings in place over the Mk 37s and Harpoon launchers in May of '99, and more taken in May of '00 where they'd been removed. Why they did it? No clue, but considering the effort involved, they must've (thought they) had a good reason--especially getting to the ones on the starboard side, since that was tucked up right against the Forrestal at the time. Getting to 'em with a crane must've been fun.

Thank you VERY much for that info. Knowing the when and where is the first step as to who and why. We can guess the "who" was the Navy, but then they would be violating their own rules of Chapter 050 of ship preservation. I am suspecting somebody pulled a fast one. But for "why" is still mysterious.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

i take it all the surface rust can be cleaned up

Comment

got to admit she looks great for just fighting off aliens :danc:

Comment

But for "why" is still mysterious
            The whole thing sounds like the first stages of an attempt to make the ship more likely to be scraped... Perhaps it was halted before it really did a lot of damage? But it does seem like there would be easier ways to do this, like cutting power for the dehumidifiers or canceling the maintenance and inspections.
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
            X