Greece and euro Crunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snapper View Post
    BF it is one thing to have a plan but for the EU to admit it is a radical alteration of ground. There is no legal method to leave the euro.
    Then its just rhetoric to counter what SYRIZA is putting out.

It was never imagined by the dreamers who planned it. Under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty only withdrawal is limited to EU withdrawal thus leaving the euro means leaving the eu. Well as it is now clear that the 'impossible' can happen (otherwise why are they making plans for such a thing?) then who else isn't safe?
    As a result of my last post i had the realisation that it may be possible for Greece to leave and not have the euro unravel. It will take a hit but if the rest remain then it will not unravel.

The part i have a problem with is Greece actually going ahead and doing it because that will create a lot of problems for them.

Comment

This is getting better and better...

Greek experts to deliver verdict on German WWII reparations this year

Greece has set up a «working group» to scour historical archives and tally how much Germany might owe in outstanding reparations for Nazi war crimes during World War II, the finance ministry announced Monday.

"The matter remains pending,» said Deputy Finance Minister Christos Staikouras. «Greece has never resigned its rights."

Nonetheless, he called for a «realistic and cool-headed» approach to the prickly issue, which could further sour relations between Germany and Greece.

The four-member working group is expected to submit its report by the end of the year, the ministry said in a statement.

ekathimerini.com | Greek experts to deliver verdict on German WWII reparations this year

[AFP]

Greece Estimates German WWII Reparations at 7.5 Billion Euro
      Posted by keeptalkinggreece in Economy, Politics

Greek Finance Ministry tries to estimate the amount Germany should pay to Greece as reparations for damages, atrocities and enforced loans during the World War II, alternate Finance Minister Christos Staikouras briefed the Parliament. According to estimations of the team in charge of the case, the amount for reparations reaches almost 7.5 billion euro. ”As country we keep the right and the possibilities for the management and the satisfactory results of the case,” Staikouras told the MPs.

Odd enough, private organization Greek National Council for Asserting Debts of Germany to Greece had estimated the amount Germany should compensate Greeks would be between 70 and 110 billion euro! And that was less than two year ago.

But maybe Samaras government is trying to offer Germany an addictive discount as Greece’s debt progress, financial situation and Euro Zone future depends much too much on Berlin.

Whether seven and a half, seventy or hundred-ten billion euro, the team in charge and the experts will have to go through 17 historical but very dusty files at stapled at the Treasury. Each file has 2,800 pages.

Until they’re through, Greece may have overcome the economic crisis or be so damned down that even the highest amount of reparations – Germany is actually not willing to pay – won’t be able to help.

Odd enough, every time before austerity measures are announced the issue of WWII reparations come into front light. Just like the tax dodgers who brought their money to Swiss banks.

BTW: Greek FinMin Stournaras meets German FinMin Schaeuble, tomorrow Tuesday in Berlin. Does anyone believe The Greek will return home with coffers full of money?

PS As my granny used to say “I was young and grew old”.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

If democrats were in charge of Greece, they would rescue the Greek economy by taxing the top income earners at the Clinton rate, and hand out free contraception to women.

That should solve the country's deficit and debt problems.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Seriously gunnut your suggestion does not even make sense.

Comment

Seriously gunnut your suggestion does not even make sense.
            I know. You know. Most sane people know. Guess who don't know?
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
              I know. You know. Most sane people know. Guess who don't know?

Wanna try austerity? Greek-style? :scared:
              Last edited by Doktor; 12 Sep 12,, 10:20.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                Wanna try austerity? Greek-style? :scared:
                C'mon Doc. Who gave Greek politicians & bureacrats credit for having such a sense of humour? You just have to love the chutzpah of dusting off the 'reparations' folder in the basement of the department of finance & slamming on the table during the next negotiations with Germany. Laugh? I nearly bought one!
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

What's 100bn among friends.

I love the way they are "handling" the situation. Just not surprised.

Comment

I hope my country will help in the end of Euro currency...

Comment

Working...
                    X