• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: North Korean boat hijacks 3 Chinese fishing boats, demands payment

People in China are really pissed off, more so then Philippines

Report: North Korean boat hijacks 3 Chinese fishing boats, demands payment

By Associated Press, Published: May 16

BEIJING — Chinese state media say a North Korean boat has hijacked 29 Chinese fishermen on three separate boats and demanded 1.2 million yuan ($190,000) for their release.

The Beijing Morning Post reported Thursday that the fishing boats were hijacked in Chinese waters on May 8 and moved to North Korean waters. The paper said the North Korean boat was manned by armed men in blue hats and uniforms but didn’t otherwise identify them.

Comments

Weigh In
    Corrections?

Personal Post

Border police in northeastern China’s coastal Liaoning province told the paper they were in contact with the North Korean captors but declined to comment further.

It quoted China’s Foreign Ministry as saying Wednesday it was aware of the situation and considered it a matter for the fisheries industry.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

"Can we come home with you?"

Comment

How likely is it that they aren't actual navy personnel? I've never heard of instances of impersonating military personnel in North Korea...

Comment

Differences perhaps over where the maritine border lies? I can also see some Chinese fishermen trying to "chance it" on the basis that the NK Navey either seldom came out to the area they were fishing in because of fuel shortages etc and/or woudn't have the balls to challenge boats belonging to their one and only BIG ally if they did. They just lucked out this time. In any case I'm sure there will be words said.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

What about the "ransom" part?
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Wow! This is a special kind of stupid. its one thing to detain a bunch of fishermen who wander too far into the wrong back yard. That can be wrtiien off as a misunderstanding by a local commander or a defence of territory. Sit 'em in a DPRK jail for a few days, scare 'em straight & bundle them off home. Demanding money, however, turns this into a confrontation wiht the nation that keeps the lights on in Pyongyang. And just when the 2IC in he regime has been wandering around SEA trying to make friends. Whatever sort of game baby Kim is playing it doesn't seem to make an awful lot of sense out here in the world.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

It doesn't bode well for a long regiem from the baby Kim.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Hoooo boy...the NK's stepped in it this time. The closest thing to an ally they've got and they pull a stunt like this.

I've been reading The Impossible State by Victor Cha and this sort of thing is North Korea's stock in trade.

With regards to China, it's usually limited to shaking down and skimming off the Chinese companies that have set up shop in the DPRK to try and get some (any!) economic activity going. This sort of blatant state-ordered piracy is...wow, just wow.

Can't wait to hear what the rest of the story is though.

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
                How likely is it that they aren't actual navy personnel? I've never heard of instances of impersonating military personnel in North Korea...
                These are almost certainly naval special forces handpicked for the job. They're DPRK sailors at the very least.

You can't hardly leave your own village without a signed note in triplicate from God Himself (whichever member of the Kim family is in charge), much less hijack a Chinese fishing boat off the coast.

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                What about the "ransom" part?
                The regime is starved for funds. This is known as "making an honest living". Entirely routine. Just not usually in this manner.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Sounds like the Somalian pirates have competition

Comment

Wow look at this NK bashing club. China also arrests Vietnamese fishermen and asks for "ransom" on a regular basis. Are they also hunger for foreign currency or some kind of pirate?
                    A Chinese newspaper said maritime right dispute between NK and China is as severe as one between China and Japan or SK. Anybody has more detail information about this?

Comment

Originally posted by hanswu25 View Post
                      Wow look at this NK bashing club.
                      Oh gosh I'm sorry I didn't realize you were such a fan of North Korea. I'll stop now.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I count everyday and do everything I can for the regime to collapse but in this case, NK bashing is double standard and ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by hanswu25 View Post
                          I count everyday and do everything I can for the regime to collapse but in this case, NK bashing is double standard and ignorant.
                          Nobody does this sort of thing like the North Koreans.

Comment

English is such an un-precise language where bail bonds is confused with ransom.

hanswu25, each incident is different. You just can't debate with this type of generalization. I noted you did not protest against the capture of Vietnamese fisherman in the Philippines

Vietnamese fishermen held in Philippines
                            Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:06:04 AM by IANS

Manila, April 25 (IANS) Authorities in the Philippines Wednesday arrested 12 Vietnamese fishermen on charges of poaching endangered marine turtles and black coral in Philippine waters, Xinhua reported.

The Philippine Coast Guard and the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources apprehended the fishermen on board a Malaysian-flagged fishing vessel.

Coast Guard Lt. Ludovico Librilla Jr., who led the operation, said they intercepted one of four fishing vessels off Pangutaran in Sulu, and seized turtles, black coral and Napoleon wrasse — listed as endangered or threatened species under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

A criminal case will be filed against the poachers.
                            Last edited by xinhui; 17 May 12,, 18:48.
                            “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Protest about what? They were arrested where they should be arrested. Hundred of them are arrested every year in Indonesia because they had sailed too far.

Please tell me why China has to protest every time their fishermen are arrested, even when they were far, far, far away from home?

Indonesia told to release 75 Chinese fishermen

"Indonesia's unilateral exercising of administration over the disputed waters is illegal and invalid as it violates international law," Wang said.

"It is unreasonable and unacceptable that Indonesia arrested Chinese fishermen within the maritime area historically under China's administration," he said.

Comment

Working...
                              X