No announcement yet.

CVN-78 Gerald W Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now be prepared to see black helicopters hovering outside of your window.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      Gah! NNS and the Navy certainly aren't giving out any freebies on this one.

Found this little nugget of information "Current carriers use steam power throughout the ship but the Ford class has replaced all the steam lines with all electric power."
      That's in reference to catapult steam, not steam used in main propulsion. I used to own the 1200 PSI steam lines that left the main machinery rooms where the boilers are located, and ran up to the 03 Level where the cat receivers were. A lot of times people weren't even really aware of how close they were living to that genie in the bottle.

EMALS and the Zonal Electrical Distribution System that feeds it and the Advanced Arresting gear eliminate that hazard.

Steam from the reactors steam generators is still going to go somewhere, either to the ship's service turbine generators, or the main engines if they are still steam turbines. However, I suspect surfgun is correct and steam will run the turbine generators, and then electrons will drive the shafts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
        Now be prepared to see black helicopters hovering outside of your window.
        Happens all the time. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
          Steam from the reactors steam generators is still going to go somewhere, either to the ship's service turbine generators, or the main engines if they are still steam turbines. However, I suspect surfgun is correct and steam will run the turbine generators, and then electrons will drive the shafts.
          I was wondering about that. There's all kinds of bragging about the "all-electric" ship.

So what's the point of the uranium tea kettle??
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            I was wondering about that. There's all kinds of bragging about the "all-electric" ship.

So what's the point of the uranium tea kettle??
            As far as I know, there is no way to derive electrical power directly from a nuclear core, the core has to heat something (usually water, though there have been some pretty recent advances in using sodium as the transfer medium) so that it can drive a turbine(s).
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post

EMALS and the Zonal Electrical Distribution System that feeds it and the Advanced Arresting gear eliminate that hazard.

ZEDS is a result of the USS Cole attack, the Cole after the hole blown 40x60 ft in her side was without power, and when she got power back up couldn't send that power anywhere because all the lines were destroyed. ZEDS was a solution to that problem, I know both my last ships, USS Momsen DDG 92 and USS Halsey DDG 97 have ZEDS as their power distribution system, and it was VERY unlikely to loose all power on board.

Comment

• Well I found this, indicating reduction gears.
                Northrop gets $12 million more for CVN-79 aircraft carrier - The Shipping News Blog - dailypress.com

Comment

• Freshly painted..A freshly painted Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78), the... | AIRCRAFT CARRIERS

Comment

• NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) has put on significant weight in the dry dock at its Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) division with the installation of four 30-ton, 21-foot diameter bronze propellers, Huntington Ingalls Industries announced in an Oct. 3 release.

“Installation of the propellers culminates more than 10 months of focused work by numerous trades in support of installing the underwater shafting,” said Rolf Bartschi, NNS’ vice president, CVN 78 carrier construction. “The configuration of the blades, the weight of the propellers and the extremely tight tolerances required make this a challenging installation. I commend the rigging and machinery installation mechanics for a job well done.”

Gerald R. Ford’s primary hull structure reached 100 percent structural completion in May, bringing more than three years of structural erection work to a close. Work continues on the ship, including the piping and electrical systems and the habitability areas such as the galley and mess spaces. The ship’s christening is scheduled for Nov. 9.
                    SEAPOWER Magazine Online

Comment

• Ford floats on Friday, October 11.

USS Gerald R. Ford to be floated this week, christened in November | MLive.com

Comment

• NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (Oct. 11, 2013) – Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) announced today that its Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) division began flooding the dry dock where the aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) has been under construction since November 2009. With the push of a dozen buttons, ship’s sponsor Susan Ford Bales initiated the flow of more than 100 million gallons of water into the dry dock.

The flooding of the dry dock takes place in phases during which various tests are conducted. Initially, the dock is flooded about 4 feet high to its keel blocks, wood-capped concrete pads on which the ship has been supported during construction. Once the dock is fully flooded and initial afloat testing is complete, water will be partially pumped out and the ship returned to her keel blocks in anticipation of Ford’s christening on Nov. 9. The ship will float again about a week later when it is moved to a pier for outfitting. Ford is scheduled for delivery to the U.S. Navy in 2016.

“Flooding of the dry dock, floating of the ship, and transfer to the outfitting pier all represent the successful completion of a tremendous amount of hard work by our talented shipbuilders,” said Rolf Bartschi, NNS’ vice president of CVN 78 carrier construction. “The shipbuilding team has taken great pride in building this first-of-class ship, and we all look forward to the next phase of ship construction and testing that will occur at the pier.”

Gerald R. Ford represents the next-generation class of aircraft carriers. The first-in-class ship features a new nuclear power plant, a redesigned island, electromagnetic catapults, improved weapons movement, an enhanced flight deck capable of increased aircraft sortie rates, and growth margin for future technologies and reduced manning.

“Thanks for holding my hand,” Bales said, addressing a group of shipbuilders following the event. “It has been really special, and walking down the side of the ship today, I wished my dad was here. He would have been so proud of all of you, and I’m proud of all of you.”

Follow Ford on social media using #FordCVN78.

Comment

• Timelapse video: Keel laying to Christening.
                          Timelapse: Keel Laying to Christening of America's Next Carrier - YouTube

Comment

• Here's a quick story on the commissioning with some good photos, including the other carriers at N/N, Lincoln, Roosevelt and Enterprise.
                            Come aboard USS Gerald R Ford (CVN 78), the newest aircraft carrier

Comment

• I've always wondered just WHY they named the ship after Ford? Is it the case now that all you have to do to earn a capital ship with your name on it is simply BE the President?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                                I've always wondered just WHY they named the ship after Ford? Is it the case now that all you have to do to earn a capital ship with your name on it is simply BE the President?
                                You need to have a strong connection to the Navy or Marine Corps, or be a political hero to the party sitting in the Oval Office.

So, yeah, just being the President is probably a good start.
                                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X