No announcement yet.

Lejeune Marines Host People's Republic of China Minister of National Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lejeune Marines Host People's Republic of China Minister of National Defense

Not sure if this is the right place to put this,

It is quite interesting how the answers for the questions that these guys bring up are pretty much all found online.

Is it just a diplomatic jesture?

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to put this,

It is quite interesting how the answers for the questions that these guys bring up are pretty much all found online.

Is it just a diplomatic jesture?
    You are right that they asking simplistic, technical questions. They aren't even asking question like how it is deployed. It's more to the tune of "What calibre is this?" and they reply "155".

Seems like a dog and pony show.

And did you notice their trigger discipline?

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
      And did you notice their trigger discipline?
      one of them put the trigger finger on the trigger guard, all the rest has their finger on the trigger. so maybe the one who put his finger on the guard actually went through army trainning

Comment

These visits mean more in the fact that they happen than in what the delegations see. Contact between their senior and junior officers with ours can be useful later on. Everything is measured; the hospitality and respect. The video brought back memories. About 23 years ago I went with SecDef Carlucci and 35 others to China. We went to Beijing where we were wined and dined and met the legendary Deng, who flirted with the women in our party. We then flew to Shanghai to see China's navy. We were shown 2 recently painted WWII-era destroyers. A lot has changed since then. We got to see the ancient terra cotta soldiers at Xian and then went on to hike the Great Wall. I was the media guy and had to stay in front of the SecDef. He and his wife were avid joggers. Staying ahead of them on one particularly steep part of the wall nearly killed me. The Chinese military knows how to throw a party, and no, the food there isn't much like Chinese food here.
        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

JAD,

the trip you just described, in terms of cultural activities for VIPs, hasn't changed much over the last 20 years. don't envy you jogging on the Wall, there are still some badly kept portions.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by weaponww View Post
            one of them put the trigger finger on the trigger guard, all the rest has their finger on the trigger. so maybe the one who put his finger on the guard actually went through army trainning
            Look at pictures from the 70's & 80's.You'll notice most,if not all,have their finger on the trigger.This rule is relatively new.
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
              JAD,

the trip you just described, in terms of cultural activities for VIPs, hasn't changed much over the last 20 years. don't envy you jogging on the Wall, there are still some badly kept portions.
              I take it you've been on some of those official trips. Still staying in 'guest houses'?

The portion of the wall they took us to was in good shape. The rise on the steps going up to the lookout tower--I guess you'd call it that--were 14-18 inches high. That no easy climb even for a tall person. But judging from the Terra Cotta soldiers, ancient Chinese warriors were fairly tall, if the sculptures are accurate.

It was my only foreign trip. I normally did only domestic stuff--TV, interviews, speeches and base visits, except black box visits. China was a reward in a way since ISP which handled foreign advance was shorthanded. Also advanced Guam and Hong Kong on that trip. You can have Guam; not a bird on the island and a political nightmare for DoD at the time. OTOH Hong Kong was a joy. It is the most exhilarating city I've ever visited, although given a choice I'd opt for Paris or London.

I wish I had kept a journal of my OSD days. Knew a lot, saw a lot and did a lot.

Comment

JAD,

I take it you've been on some of those official trips. Still staying in 'guest houses'?
                yup, still guest houses.

China was a reward in a way since ISP which handled foreign advance was shorthanded. Also advanced Guam and Hong Kong on that trip. You can have Guam; not a bird on the island and a political nightmare for DoD at the time. OTOH Hong Kong was a joy. It is the most exhilarating city I've ever visited, although given a choice I'd opt for Paris or London.
                haven't been to guam, given the emphasis on the pacific it's built up very significantly over the last few years and i'd be curious to check it out.

i've been to HK for personal trips, but not for work, unfortunately. with any luck, soon enough.

I wish I had kept a journal of my OSD days.
                i forget, were you OSD/PA?

one of the best mementos i have in the office is a picture of the Thunderbirds flying alongside the Great Wall...in 1987. interesting to see how much the dynamic has changed.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

My wife was a world class volleyball player as well as a Lt. in the Air Force, and got to go to a military sporting invitational in China ca. 1985. China was just emerging from a much darker time, but there was still a lot of - not suspicion, more like simply not knowing, who these Westerners are, what they represent.

Imagine the shock of the average Chinese person seeing this troupe of 6 foot tall American women touring cultural areas. They must have thought "If their women are this tall, what are the men like?" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post

i forget, were you OSD/PA?
                    For all but 3 months of my 9 yrs at DoD.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post

Imagine the shock of the average Chinese person seeing this troupe of 6 foot tall American women touring cultural areas. They must have thought "If their women are this tall, what are the men like?" ;)
                      More to the point, how was it like being married to a 6 ft tall woman? :)

Comment

Working...
                      X