Japanese warship in Panama Canal May 9, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese warship in Panama Canal May 9, 2012

Caught this slick looking guy sneaking through this morning. They never show up on AIS hence I have no idea what it's name is.

DDH-143 Shirane

Comment

Those older Japanese Destroyers have to be getting long in the tooth. They have been around for a long time, plus long obsolete (by US standards) 5" Mark 42 gun mounts.

Comment

The first 2 DDH's (Haruna DDH-141 and Hiei DDH-142) have already been decommissioned and replaced by Hyuga DDH-181 and Ise DDH-182.

The Shirane is scheduled to be decommissioned in about 2 years with Kurama (DDH-144) following. They are the last 2 Japanese ships using that particular gun mount. (I think)

The first of their replacements is under construction and scheduled to be commissioned in 2015, with the second one 2 years later. They are known as 22DDH and 24DDH atm and don't have names yet, but at around 27,000 tons full load, are destroyers in name/designation only.

Japan lays keel for 22DDH Helicopter Carrier

Comment

THANKS for ID'ing her. :)

I remember seeing these ships when I was stationed on USS Shasta visiting Japan. They sort of remind me of the Belknap-class, of which I was also stationed on USS Biddle, if it weren't for the old forward gun mounts.

Comment

The stern is vaguely remenicennt of a couple of WWII IJN capital ships with aviation aft.
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I actually thought briefly of the Russian Moskva-class carriers when I saw her stern.

And Rich, if your our there I sent you an private message. Check your Inbox.

Comment

Working...
              X