More F-22 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
    And there are plenty of people who would be willing to pay millions for an old F-16 with spares.
    Or even just as a static display piece.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
      Oh, I understand the absolute need for the Tyndall range and other hot ranges like it. Most missiles pulled from stock are fitted with telemetry rather than a warhead, and the scientists gain valuable data with each shot. But it still makes me sad.

I fired an AIM-9L at a BQM-34 drone, and the data added to the growing database of missile performance. It was a "hit" FWIW, passing within fuze range of the drone, and the fuze signal was correctly generated.

The bottom of the Gulf of Mexico South of Tyndall AFB must be carpeted with hardware. I'm surprised there haven't been foreign "fishing boats" scooping up goodies from the bottom of the sea in that area.

I am unsure of the costs of a new Firebee drone, vs. retrofitting an old F-16A from the boneyard. Obviously, there are different missions, too. A Firebee cannot do mach 1.6 at 55,000', nor can it do a 9 G jink to try and defeat AAMs.
      They still fly the Firebees, more often than the old fighters. I just hope the 53rd keeps that camo QF-4 they like to show off. One of the coolest things I've ever seen was right after I arrived at Tyndall. I was stopped in traffic (at a red light I think), facing the direction of the flightline. The camo QF-4 took off, followed by a 4-ship of F-15s, followed by a 2-ship of F-22s.

Comment

Working...
      X