Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DDG-1000 News

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Contributor

DDG-1000 News

Starting a new thread to avoid bumping very old threads any further.

The AGS mounts for DDG-1000 have arrived at Bath Iron Works. GDBIW photo.

Idiot Mode [ON] OFF Senior Contributor YellowFever's Avatar
    I'm lead to believe that only 3 will be built from the original 33 planned.

Putting aside how good this platform will be, I have to ask, is it worth it to build only 3 if that's the final number?

If you figure in the cost of R&D and everything else, each copy will cost appx. 6 to 7 billion!

It would have been cancelled outright, but for all of those pesky contracts.
    So three will be built, the Navy will have a chance to compare them to the overloaded flight III Burkes, and perhaps the Navy will change course again?

I haven't exactly been keeping track of the other DDG-1000 thread, but at the very least the Zumwalts should prove to be a practical technology demonstrator? Platforms like the Sea Shadow are one thing, but the Zumwalts almost seem to be like the F-117 in terms of technology demonstration. It's a real-world application of advances in technology.

Senior Contributor
    Ingalls has completed ZUMWALT's helo hangar. WLOX TV news story (with photos and video).

F-117 is to DDG as ????

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
    Ingalls has completed ZUMWALT's helo hangar. WLOX TV news story (with photos and video).
    "The lighter weight of the carbon composite structure enables the ship to travel faster. It also produces a smaller radar profile, making it less likely to be spotted by an enemy." Source WLOX-TV website.

Didn't the discussion about the radar signature for the Zumwalts conclude with the accepted announcement that a DD the size of a CL is difficult to hide? Countermeasures to address the carbon composite construction is a great advancement, but DDG's keep getting larger...
    Last edited by blidgepump; 08 May 12, at 18:26.

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by surfgun View Post
    So three will be built, the Navy will have a chance to compare them to the overloaded flight III Burkes, and perhaps the Navy will change course again?
    They are talking about using a 14 foot aperature variant of AMDR on the Arleigh Burke flight III. The claim is that going larger would require a major redesign (as if the A-B flight III isn't already going to be a major redesign).

"As part of a technical submission to the Navy, BIW — the lead designer for DDG 1000 — also identified a possible design for a 21-foot radar on DDG 1000. The Navy did not include a variant with this size radar in the Radar/Hull Study."

All else held equal, sensitivity of radar scales with the cube of the diameter of the aperature. So a 21 foot aperature has 3.375x (+10.57dB) increase in sensitivity as compared a 14 foot aperature.
    Last edited by JRT; 10 May 12, at 00:11.

Senior Contributor
    Some random guy on facebook claims the sinister military has already got two DDG-1000s sitting at Norfolk, VA.

Examiner Story.

His "About me" on his facebook says "Working with Orbs, light beings to heal the planet". I suspect he was on some substance that could have made a rowboat look like a DDG-1000. Either that or he doesn't know the first thing about what a naval vessel looks like and assumed a run-of-the-mill Arleigh Burke was the new destroyer.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowFever View Post
    I'm lead to believe that only 3 will be built from the original 33 planned.

Putting aside how good this platform will be, I have to ask, is it worth it to build only 3 if that's the final number?

If you figure in the cost of R&D and everything else, each copy will cost appx. 6 to 7 billion!
    Nobody in his right mind would believe that only 3 would be built.. It will be far more ! its ridiculous that a destroyer costs as much as Nimitz Class Carrier including 70 Super Hornets on the deck

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin2 View Post
    Nobody in his right mind would believe that only 3 would be built.. It will be far more ! its ridiculous that a destroyer costs as much as Nimitz Class Carrier including 70 Super Hornets on the deck
    Ridiculous or not (and it truly is ridiculous), only 3 are being built.

There are some small advantages to this (not enough to justify $6-7 billion a pop though).
    For one thing, this tumblehome wave-piercing design looks like a train...er, ship wreck waiting to happen.
    So only three ships built to this screwy design vice 32...I see that as a good thing.

In addition, the massive amount of R&D can be leveraged for a future design.
    Last edited by TopHatter; 31 Dec 12, at 16:53.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

In Memoriam/Battleship Enthusiast Defense Professional USSWisconsin's Avatar
    it brings to mind the Seawolf class SSN, perhaps we'll see a Virginia like follow on.
    "If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by USSWisconsin View Post
    it brings to mind the Seawolf class SSN, perhaps we'll see a Virginia like follow on.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing...lots of Seawolf technology went into the Virginias.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    Ridiculous or not (and it truly is ridiculous), only 3 are being built.

There are some small advantages to this (not enough to justify $6-7 billion a pop though).
    For one thing, this tumblehome wave-piercing design looks like a train...er, ship wreck waiting to happen.
    So only three ships built to this screwy design vice 32...I see that as a good thing.

In addition, the massive amount of R&D can be leveraged for a future design.
    I tend to dislike the tumblehome design simple because it is new and looks different, is there a more rational/technical reason for your concern TopHatter?

Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JA Boomer View Post
    I tend to dislike the tumblehome design simple because it is new and looks different, is there a more rational/technical reason for your concern TopHatter?

Its not a new design. Its a old French one.

That we once used.

USS Brooklyn as an example

Attachment 31408
    Last edited by Gun Grape; 01 Jan 13, at 19:03.
    Its called Tourist Season. So why can't we shoot them?

Thread Information