• Size Comparison

Click image for larger version

Name:	gA7JcNv.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	1477756

Comment

• Originally posted by thebard View Post
      Throwing in the towel on the AGS, finally.
      https://www.upi.com/Zumwalt-class-st...8131543673265/
      Such a shame. All that money, into the billions, wasted. The ships that could have been bought instead. Hell, the money would have made a huge dent in paying for another carrier. Yet, round and round we go and where the merry go round stops no one knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]47302[/ATTACH]
        now that's a 'phat' ass.....

that side by side certainly puts the scale of them into perspective.

Comment

• Compare that to the growth in battleship size from USS Oklahoma to USS Wisconsin
          Click image for larger version

Name:	USS_Wisconsin_and_USS_Oklahoma_H78940t.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	1477759

Comment

• Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
            interesting on the sizes. i've never been aware of the size differences really.

i know the Zumwalts have the two deck guns with the vertical launch cells on the perimeter, but is that why they have so many fewer than a ticonderoga? 80 compared to 122?
            The ticos were built as primary aid defence ships, for which they needed lots of SAM silos. The 1000 was built around the guns, with "a few" missiles for backup.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
              The ticos were built as primary aid defence ships, for which they needed lots of SAM silos. The 1000 was built around the guns, with "a few" missiles for backup.
              true.

just speculating if the guns were taken out, tha'ts a lot of room down below from what i remember?

Comment

• Again it will be very expensive to replace the guns and come up with some unique addon to fill the space. I still think it is better/$$$ to contrive some sort of work around for cheaper ammo.

The comparison size shots off the two ships (Burke and Zumwalt class) can be distorted a bit by the perspective of the camera shooter and lens. The Z is a big Destroyer by any definition though.

Some more shots with two thirds of the Z fleet!

DDG116 and DDG1001

Comment

• Looks like the Zumwalt will definetly carry SM-2s. But I see nothing here about guiding them... can the SPY-3 guide them?

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                    Looks like the Zumwalt will definetly carry SM-2s. But I see nothing here about guiding them... can the SPY-3 guide them?
                    Yes, the SPY-3 is supposed to have a target illuminator function. However, the question would be how many targets can it illuminate and what other tasks can it do while illuminating the target. Answers are probably classified....

Here's a link to an old development white paper:
                    https://web.archive.org/web/20141212...evelopment.pdf

Comment

• Well USS Monsoor has "joined" the Fleet. I captured her in Bath and now in San Diego at North Island.

I have read a few pieces of late about Ammo but nothing really definitive just rumblings/mumblings? It would be nice if she could hit San Clemente Island with something besides potatoes before she deploys in 202?.

Don't seem able to post a picture right now so will try soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlankDestroyer View Post

Don't seem able to post a picture right now so will try soon.
                        I doubt you'll be able to, what with the board still being broken.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Reportedly, Zumwalt is a smooth ride.
                          https://www.defensenews.com/naval/20...s-stormy-seas/

Comment

• Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
                            ...reuse some of those billions spent on the design.
                            Behavioral Economics: Sunk Cost Fallacy

Comment

• The office of the Director, Operational Test and Evaluation
                              (DOT&E)
                              FY 2019 ANNUAL REPORT
                              (20 December 2019):
                              DDG 1000 ship self-defense combat system,
                              Zumwalt Combat System (ZCS)

https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97/...sd_ddg1000.pdf
                              Last edited by JRT; 10 Feb 20,, 23:16.

Comment

• They have given AGS a mark number designation. Say hello to the 155mm/62 (6.1 inch) Mark 51 Advanced Gun System.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_61-62_ags.php

Last edited by JRT; 21 Oct 21,, 16:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X