DDG-1000 News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DDG-1000 Goes "feet wet"

The largest destroyer ever built for the Navy is getting into the water for the first time — and the stealthy vessel looks unlike any U.S. warship before.

Without fanfare, Maine's Bath Iron Works on Monday began the process of floating the 610-foot Zumwalt from a dry dock in the Kennebec River. Eventually, tugboats will position the warship dockside, where shipbuilders will continue working on it through the winter.

A christening ceremony was canceled earlier this month because of the partial federal government shutdown. The Navy shipbuilder hopes to hold a rescheduled ceremony in the spring.

The warship features an unusual wave-piercing hull and electric propulsion. Its low-slung shape minimizes its radar signature, making it stealthy. There are so many computers and so much automation that it'll need fewer sailors too.

Navy's Giant, Stealthy New Destroyer Gets Hull Wet - ABC News
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

So, I have a question. With so much automation in the Navy's newer ships, does the decreased number of personnel compromise ship security? Are these ships now easier for a hostile boarding party to assault (for example, while one is docked at a foreign port) or does it make no difference?

Comment

I would think the USN would put a suitable security detail aboard. Who knows, could even be a Marine contingent aboard their newest and largest destroyer.

Cant wait to see what those guns are capable of and if they are as good as advertised.
        Last edited by Dreadnought; 29 Oct 13,, 01:05.

Comment

Grabbed this pic from Fox
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
            [ATTACH]34204[/ATTACH]

Grabbed this pic from Fox
            Quite possibly the ugliest thing afloat that I've ever seen in my 57 years on this rock. Has all the charm of a cargo container on a barge. Sorry if that disturbs everyone, and I quite understand why it (I have a hard time calling it "she" as homely as it is) looks the way it does. I'm not a Luddite after all; but it has no aesthetic charms whatsoever. One hopes that it performs as advertised. Bad juju to be both ugly and have a bad personality.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
              Quite possibly the ugliest thing afloat that I've ever seen in my 57 years on this rock. Has all the charm of a cargo container on a barge. Sorry if that disturbs everyone, and I quite understand why it (I have a hard time calling it "she" as homely as it is) looks the way it does. I'm not a Luddite after all; but it has no aesthetic charms whatsoever. One hopes that it performs as advertised. Bad juju to be both ugly and have a bad personality.
              Bad juju to be both ugly and have a bad personality.

Guess that rules me out.

Comment

Well, when you include the wonderful new digital camo uniforms could it be we are now trying to hide our new ships from a new potential adversary? Like....maybe....ALIENS!
                To me, if they brought the ship to a complete halt and didn't move it could be mistaken for a buoy! Either that or there is a new secret weapon being developed using Bee's. "It" does look like it may have been designed by an apiarist!
                I agree with the Skipper! It is ugly! Naval designers seem to have forgotten the factor of deterrence! Stare down the barrel of a 16" gun and then compare the effect to having this thing approach you on the seas. Looks more like a pleasure yacht than a warship!

Comment

One thing is for sure...If it can deliver the firepower via those 2) 6.1 inchers with 10 rounds per minute at that range they are going to give new meaning to "beachfront property".

I think you will see the idiots in somalia give up the beach front compounds.

Comment

This picture is from Navy website. Perhaps it is a little less ugly.
                    I like a ship to be good looking, but as long as it blows stuff up and keeps her crew safe and brings them home I can be flexible.
                    [URL="http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/131028-O-ZZ999-103.JPG[/URL]

Tried posting the photo directly, but the uploader doesn't seem to be working- maybe the file is too big?
                    Last edited by DonBelt; 29 Oct 13,, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                      Quite possibly the ugliest thing afloat that I've ever seen in my 57 years on this rock. Has all the charm of a cargo container on a barge.
                      You really think so? I'll agree shes not much to look at viewed ass-on. But i thought her rather fetching from other angles.

http://www.navy.mil/management/photo...-ZZ999-103.JPG

Comment

I was trying to post that picture but screwed up somehow. It does look better from that angle.

Comment

Originally posted by guicho80 View Post
                          You really think so? I'll agree shes not much to look at viewed ass-on. But i thought her rather fetching from other angles.

http://www.navy.mil/management/photo...-ZZ999-103.JPG
                          Sorry, hammered dog shit comes immediately to mind.

Comment

Are the bridge windows covered? If they are where I think they are, the bridge seems kind of low relative to the deck and superstructure. The other thing is there doesn't seem to be a lot of deck space where crew members can hang out without being directly under the scrutiny of the bridge crew or crowded onto the fantail.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                              Are the bridge windows covered? If they are where I think they are, the bridge seems kind of low relative to the deck and superstructure. The other thing is there doesn't seem to be a lot of deck space where crew members can hang out without being directly under the scrutiny of the bridge crew or crowded onto the fantail.

Hope the cameras work well. No bridge wings.

Comment

I think under the overhang at the front of the superstructure is where they are. Just seems like poor visibility. Yeah, you can use cameras, but it's not the same as having eyeballs on something.

Comment

Working...
                                X