No announcement yet.

DDG-1000 News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel instead of composites? Isn't that going to be a lot of extra topweight?...

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
      Steel instead of composites? Isn't that going to be a lot of extra topweight?...
      I expect steel would be much heavier. Navy seems to be looking for more room to maneuver in their negotiations with Ingalls. But also it seems that the Navy cannot afford schedule and learning curve costs associated with finding another source for that end-grain balsa core carbon fiber composite deckhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
        I expect steel would be much heavier. Navy seems to be looking for more room to maneuver in their negotiations with Ingalls. But also it seems that the Navy cannot afford schedule and learning curve costs associated with finding another source for that end-grain balsa core carbon fiber composite deckhouse.
        But, if there will be a a topweight problem, then won't the ship have to be partially redesigned?* Can the navy aford that?

*asks my near-complete ignorance of ship construction

Comment

Just don't call it "Vasa".....

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
          But, if there will be a a topweight problem, then won't the ship have to be partially redesigned?* Can the navy aford that?

*asks my near-complete ignorance of ship construction
          Always a good question to ask if one seeks knowledge> ;)

No need to create another Vasa, right?

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
            Always a good question to ask if one seeks knowledge> ;)

No need to create another Vasa, right?
            Forgot that one! But I was thinking of ships that were altered during the late 1930s, to increase their armour and change the deckhouses, etc. Afaik, some ended up so top heavy they had to return to the shipyard...

Comment

Some nice photos of ZUMWALT with the deckhouse installed can be viewed on DefenseNews:

Mighty ZUMWALT is Coming Together

Comment

Is it just me or does anyone else see these ships spending most of their careers as testbeds i.e coming back into dock/drydock at regular intervals to have all soughts of energy demanding high tech gear installed, assessed and removed. Meanwhile the AB's keep on doing all the real work.
                If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                  Is it just me or does anyone else see these ships spending most of their careers as testbeds i.e coming back into dock/drydock at regular intervals to have all soughts of energy demanding high tech gear installed, assessed and removed. Meanwhile the AB's keep on doing all the real work.
                  Probably why the USN is only buying 3. Why build 33 if you can give an AB BMD capability? In a fantasy world you could replace the TICOS on a one for one basis with Zumwalts but I think someone saw sense and realized that a 33 ship build isn't necessary, especially with budgets at the forefront now.
                  "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

The last I heard, DDG-1000 can't do ABM/BMD. Has that changed?

Comment

It has space available for AMDR since SPY-4 was dropped. So it could conceivably be configured that way.

Comment

looking at those photos of the Zumwalt, it just seems strange not to see 3 or 4 Burkes being built/fitted out there at the LLTF (Land Level Transfer Facility). Last time I was there (June 2004) there were 3 DDG's under construction, and I think 2 fitting out..

Comment

Absolutely. They will have Converteam systems on board and that alone will affix these vessel to the dock for a high percentage of any envisioned life cycle.

Comment

A Navsea PDF released 4/9/13 on the progress of the class.
                            http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Media/SAS...DDG%201000.pdf
                            Last edited by surfgun; 09 Jun 13,, 03:11.

Comment

I'm a self-admitted dinosaur, but frankly, to me the thing looks like hammered dog crap. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                                I'm lead to believe that only 3 will be built from the original 33 planned.

Putting aside how good this platform will be, I have to ask, is it worth it to build only 3 if that's the final number?

If you figure in the cost of R&D and everything else, each copy will cost appx. 6 to 7 billion!
                                Remember, only three Seawolf Class submarines were built, yet they have been serving admirably for a number of years now.

In addition, they supplied very good advanced technology, and demonstrated its use in service which is greatly benefiting the Virginia Class subs.

I expect that the Zumwalts will be the same...and there is still the outside chance that another administration, depending on world conditions, could resumt the build.

In any case, with three, we will always have one at sea and the ability to surge two at any given time. Thye are going to be outstanding vessels, first with the AGS, then later with the first rail-gun installations I am sure.

US NAVY 21st CENTURY: THE DDG-1000 ZUMWALT CLASS DESTROYERS

Comment

Working...
                                X