Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122

Thread: DDG-1000 News

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by surfgun View Post
    So... basically they are now surface-surface missile barges...

Maybe they're becoming the sea-based version of the B-2 bomber? Otherwise, there doesn't really seem to be a well defined mission for them.

https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/201...-stratcom.html

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    USS Michael Monsoor Successfully Completes Acceptance Trials
    2/5/2018

BATH, Maine (NNS) -- The Navy's next generation destroyer, the future USS Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001), successfully completed acceptance trials Feb. 1.

The U.S. Navy's Board of Inspection and Survey reviewed the ship and its crew during a series of demonstrations both pier side and underway, evaluating the ship's construction and compliance with Navy specifications.

Many of the ship's onboard systems including navigation, damage control, mechanical, electrical, combat, communications and propulsion systems were tested to validate performance met or exceeded Navy specifications.

"DDG 1001 performed exceedingly well during acceptance trials," said Capt. Kevin Smith, DDG 1000 class program manager, Program Executive Office (PEO) Ships. "The industry and Navy team worked together to incorporate lessons learned from DDG 1000. The trials once again demonstrated how truly powerful and exceptional these ships are." Link

About a month old but good news at least.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Shades of CGN-9 concepts. Nukes for Zumwalt Class.
    https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/201...-stratcom.html
    Last edited by surfgun; 01 Mar 18, at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    USS Michael Monsoor Successfully Completes Acceptance Trials
    2/5/2018

BATH, Maine (NNS) -- The Navy's next generation destroyer, the future USS Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001), successfully completed acceptance trials Feb. 1.

The U.S. Navy's Board of Inspection and Survey reviewed the ship and its crew during a series of demonstrations both pier side and underway, evaluating the ship's construction and compliance with Navy specifications.

Many of the ship's onboard systems including navigation, damage control, mechanical, electrical, combat, communications and propulsion systems were tested to validate performance met or exceeded Navy specifications.

"DDG 1001 performed exceedingly well during acceptance trials," said Capt. Kevin Smith, DDG 1000 class program manager, Program Executive Office (PEO) Ships. "The industry and Navy team worked together to incorporate lessons learned from DDG 1000. The trials once again demonstrated how truly powerful and exceptional these ships are." Link

About a month old but good news at least.
    Good news that the ship is seaworthy. I'll be happy to hear that there is a defined primary mission, and some ammunition to go with the weapons. Until they figure out what to do about that AGS, I expect they'll be staying close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by thebard View Post
    Good news that the ship is seaworthy. I'll be happy to hear that there is a defined primary mission, and some ammunition to go with the weapons. Until they figure out what to do about that AGS, I expect they'll be staying close to home.
    They have several years of work-ups post-commissioning. Perhaps a solution will have been found, but I won't hold my breath.

I just noticed Tophatter's link http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=104242

That lead me to the official USS Zumwalt page http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/zumwalt/

That would lead one to believe the AGS and LRLAP are alive and well.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by thebard View Post
    I just noticed Tophatter's link http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=104242

That lead me to the official USS Zumwalt page http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/zumwalt/

That would lead one to believe the AGS and LRLAP are alive and well.
    Or that they are too lazy or too buys to update the website.....

I believe AGS is alive and well but LRLAP is dead. It might get replaced by the HVP.

Thread Information