Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: DDG-1000 News

Contributor
    even stranger, it appears to be made by and released by the tug boat company....?

Well I'd do that if I owned the company. Be pretty proud to have moved any navy ship let alone a new class leader.
    RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by 85 gt kid View Post
    Well I'd do that if I owned the company. Be pretty proud to have moved any navy ship let alone a new class leader.
    so would I, but I wonder were they got the footage from? (drone, helicopter...? theirs, the navy's?)

and I am surprised that it wasn't the Navy's PR department that released it.

I haven't really seen videos issued by the Navy of it at sea.

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by bfng3569 View Post
    so would I, but I wonder were they got the footage from? (drone, helicopter...? theirs, the navy's?)

and I am surprised that it wasn't the Navy's PR department that released it.

I haven't really seen videos issued by the Navy of it at sea.
    From what I gather, Brian Fournier the President of Portland Tugboat and director of Northeast operations for McAllister Towing (McAllister bought Portland Tugboat from Brian's father Art in 2001) hired Maine Imaging to create the video. I am not sure what they used to shoot the video.

http://www.maineimaging.com/aerial-video/

"Published on Dec 11, 2015 - A short aerial video of the Zumwalt (DDG-1000) entering Portland Harbor for the first time. As this video was for a client, we were given permission to fly in close proximity to the ship, which was an honor."
    Last edited by JRT; 11 Jan 16, at 23:13.

Contributor
    Maine Imaging also created this earlier video of USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000):

"Published on Dec 8, 2015 - Video of the USS Zumwalt navigating the narrow "Fiddler's Reach", on her way from Bath Iron Works, down the Kennebec River, and into the Atlantic for sea trials. December 7th, 2015."

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by JRT View Post
    From what I gather, Brian Fournier the President of Portland Tugboat and director of Northeast operations for McAllister Towing (McAllister bought Portland Tugboat from Brian's father Art in 2001) hired Maine Imaging to create the video. I am not sure what they used to shoot the video....
    http://www.maineimaging.com/aerial-video/

Our video platforms are helicopters, usually a Robinson R-22 or R-44. These allow us to get low, go slow, and go about anywhere. The camera is mounted to a two axis gyro stabilizer for smooth video.

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by JRT View Post
    Maine Imaging also created this earlier video of USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000):

"Published on Dec 8, 2015 - Video of the USS Zumwalt navigating the narrow "Fiddler's Reach", on her way from Bath Iron Works, down the Kennebec River, and into the Atlantic for sea trials. December 7th, 2015."
    is that typical for the Navy though? Especially with a brand new design and all?

Quote Originally Posted by bfng3569 View Post
    is that typical for the Navy though? Especially with a brand new design and all?
    is what typical?

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by dundonrl View Post
    is what typical?
    HAVING PRETTY Much the only at sea videos shot and released by someone else.

Usually the shipyard is involved in such productions to show politicians their awesome ships. Zumwalt is a canceled class, so I guess even the yard has no faith in future sales.

Zumwalt Skipper: ‘This Ship Handled Marvelously’

By RICHARD R. BURGESS, Managing Editor

ARLINGTON, Va. — The commanding officer of the pre-commissioning unit for the Navy’s new class of guided-missile destroyer said the ship performed well on its initial builder’s trials.

“The ship handled marvelously,” said Capt. James A. Kirk, whose crew took the future USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) to sea Dec. 13-17.

Kirk answered questions Jan. 14 in response to reporters at a presentation at the Surface Navy Association National Symposium, appearing with several of his crew along with Rear Adm. (select) Jim Downey, program manager for the Zumwalt class.

During the trials, Zumwalt exercised its propulsion system, going to full power ahead and astern and making turns at full rudder.

Using photographs, Downey showed that the ship was stable through turns at full rudder at a 7.5-degree list, about half of what a typical destroyer would experience.

“I’ve been very confident about the hull, very stable,” Downey said. “The ship turns very quickly. The faster it goes, the better it responds.”

During the trials, the Zumwalt also exercised boat launching and recovery, the galley, berthing and anchoring. The ship’s 11-meter rigid-hull inflatable boats assisted the Coast Guard by performing a medical evacuation of a commercial boat crewman.

Downey said Zumwalt is 98 percent complete and must finish crew training and conduct a logistics load-out before commissioning later this year, possibly in Baltimore. Sister ships Michael Mansoor and Lyndon B. Johnson are 84 percent and 43 percent complete, respectively. All three ships will be based in San Diego.

Depending on where life and my career take me, I wouldn't mind another sea tour on one of these...
    "We are all special cases." - Camus

Senior Contributor
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...e60344451.html

em railgun maybe going directly on ship number 2.

I thought they ordered enough 155mm mounts for the three? Brush off of what is left of the old arm launched Tico's and replace the 5" and Arm launcher, with the 155mm guns left over from the original order and bring back those low hour hulls!
    Last edited by surfgun; 14 Feb 16, at 18:51.

the problem with the 155's, they are only useful for shore bombardment, and not designed for ship to ship combat.

Thread Information