• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visions of an unknown simple Iraqi

Friday, June 10, 2005
    Free Writer: Words from an Iraqi
    Mosul

Many Iraqis read these dispatches. I have been in correspondence with a person in Mosul who signs his letters "Free Writer." I am only guessing that Free Writer is a man. Free writer has described details of current events in Mosul--events and details that I have been able to ascertain--that leave little doubt that he is writing from within Mosul. Free Writer asked that I post a letter, and that I edit his English. His English is excellent, so the letter remains in his words with only trivial tweaks.

And so:

Visions of an unknown simple Iraqi

Iraq is a country that has been suffering from wars and bloody conflicts for 5,000 years and what you see now is a decisive episode of the bloody Iraqi saga. Perhaps its richness is what attracts all these wars, or maybe it's the despair of its people - whatever the reason the result is the death of innocents, the spread of fear, terror and injustice. I can't remember any period longer than a two year without wars and destruction. We have grown accustomed to storing food and the basics of life.

The war made it possible for the country to have a chance of moving ahead in a democratic fashion. The sanctions could not be removed before the regime was removed, and only then could the country pick itself up again. With the removal of the old regime and the elections, we have reached the beginning of a new era. Bath ideology has been dealt a death blow in Iraq.

The recent developments have demonstrated that the occupation and the resistance continue to be the two primary forces in the country, but they also underscore how difficult it is to discern the underlying logic of the confrontation between them.

Remember, don't be fooled by the press coverage, all these car bombs in Iraq are not detonated at random, nor are they primarily directed at [the Coalition] Forces. In fact, primarily and the vast majority are aimed at recruits or active duty members of the Iraqi police and army.

It makes sense that the different armed gangs have chosen Iraq to make their stand against the USA. They don't much care about the Iraqis it seems, as they are from other countries and probably categorize Iraqis as mostly collaborators with the west and traitors to Islam. Or what ever excuse they come up with to murder innocent Iraqis by blowing them up at random.

The Ba'athists don't care about the average Iraqi either, as proved again and again when they were in power. These are probably the worst of the two, as far as motives go. For their motive for the murder is greed and power.

Before the current security campaign against them, Insurgents patterns were simple: When police and the National Guard were stationed in cities, the terrorists would hire criminals in enforcing criminal law, delivering criminals to them and avoiding armed conflict with them directly, except when they participated in campaigns against them.

In general, I want to say that the situation in Iraq is still not good, but we can see that the heroes of Iraq sacrifice themselves to keep the smiles on the faces of the children. Pray to God to preserve the heroes of the police and the army and the guards and very honorable Iraqi who protects the smiles of the children and women of Iraq.

During the last two years, Iraqi people were almost left alone because many people and nations did not support the war in Iraq.

If you watch Arabic media channels you can see obviously what kind of biased news that focused only on making all insurgent’s military actions as a legal resistance against Occupation, but they were ignoring daily casualties of innocent civilian Iraqis kidnapping, disturbing daily life by random terror, car-bombs and all other society destruction by mean of this criminal behavior.

Now it is needed time for start talking about types of assistance to be given to Iraqi people, it is responsibility of all western and Arabian countries that used Iraq in the past to go to war for their political goals.

We were the majority simple Iraqis don’t care about political conflicts, we already paid the high prices from our blood, our family’s future, and wealth.

Now the time can give proofs about the real intentions and goals for each country to stop the suffering of my country. It is time now to talk about peace, to stop killing each other, and to end this war to save precious lives of all sides.

We really need serious talks from USA and other European countries to our public about the infrastructure building in Iraq, how to remove poverty from this country, to motivate small businesses, and improving economy. Smiling and shaking hands in a polite diplomatic scenes in front of TV channels is not working to change our miserable past-current situations into a nice dreams of progress and democracy.

I spent my last 25 years dreaming in seeing my country living’s condition just like any other country in the Arabic or western world.

Iraq must stop paying other’s blood taxes, we had enough , I just asking my self when surfing on internet: why only few sites are talking about the needs for a positive future of Iraq?

As a conclusion, the dream of every honorable Iraqi is to live in peace and quiet. Please try to give solutions that help us in achieving our goals, in treating our wounds and rebuilding our damaged country again.

I need people from every where on this globe to react with me and share their ideas and comments, in same time my thanks go to Mr. Michael Yon who gave chance for my lines to appear on his blog.

By A Free Writer – Iraq
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3
Working...
X