Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 77787980818283848586
Results 1,276 to 1,282 of 1282

Thread: Builder's Railroad Project: in the Beginning...

Contributor
    Have you done any vacuum forming Myles? I can show you the vacuum forming box I made and small parts from it. You might find it useful doing something around the trains.

Senior Contributor Builder 2010's Avatar
    I give credit where credit is due, and both of your ideas were winners. 2 for 2... I guess you should quit while your ahead. I'm going to mount the foil circuits on a thin piece of ply so I can solder without melting anything, and then glue this onto the flight deck bottom. That's the only drawback to the soldering-to-foil scheme is melting the substrate which probably precludes soldering directly over styrene.

Now that all the lighting questions are pretty much answered I have no excuse but to get back to work and finish the carrier. While its nice to have four projects running concurrently (Bronx Victorian, Essex, Fairlane GTA and Nighthawks), it's not how I like to work since I really get satisfaction when I complete something. It's sort of a compulsion. So it will be back to the other thread for a while. See you there.

Train stuff

The carrier is finished and is on display at the other thread here in Modelers Corner.

Good news and bad news.

Good news: after a long wait just heard (yesterday) from editor of Railroad Model Craftsman mag that my article on the design and construction of the Bernheim Distillery is slated for publication as a three-part article. Don't have publication date yet, but soon. He requests that I take new pictures of the finished product on the layout using a sky blue background to block out any clutter. I bought two additional portable white boards at Michael's today, plus found 4' X 12' roll of sky blue "bulletin board" material that will make for a seamless background. I then went to Costco and picked up two more of their LED shop lights that are on sale for $20. They're about twice as bright as the florescent lights they replace and have better (less blue) color. Tomorrow I'll start changing out the lights and building the backdrop assembly and see what kind of pictures I can create.

Picked up the cut plexiglass for the showcase that's going to protect the Essex.

Bad News: came down with shingles on Father's day. Awful! Started taking Valtrex as soon as I knew what it was and hopefully it will clear up faster rather than slower. We've been putting off getting the vaccine since we were waiting for the new advanced drug "Shingrix" that is significantly more effective then the current one. Unfortunately (for me) my luck ran out. When this bout is finished, I will still need it since it can come back again. My son had it two years ago at age 42 and is an ophthalmologist and warned me and my wife to get it since it can be brutal especially if it comes around the eyes. I had all intentions doing so. I'm in my 70s and it's the time to get it if you've ever had chicken pox. It's a nasty, mean, sneaky virus that lives in you all your life until it decides to activate. How the heck does that happen?

Bernheim: Preparing for the Photography Session

Shingles is annoying, but with the Valtrex and Tylenol, I managing okay and sleeping well. I do believe that it's giving me a lesser case of it.

As things have it, I just met a very nice man my age here in Louisville who is as passionate about photography as I am about trains and model building in general. We had met earlier on a board we were on together, and he remembered that I am a proficient solderer. He had a hearing aid sterilizer that had a bad switch on a circuit board and asked if I could take a look at it. I replaced his switch and we found that we had much in common especially our professional career philosophies. Then along comes the note from RMC about needing a better finished model picture of Bernheim for the article and this gentlemen is going to help me photograph it.

Today I changed out the two fluorescents hanging near Bernheim with the Costco LED lights, and started experimenting putting the backdrop in place. Before I went to the trouble of attaching the sky blue bulletin board paper to the backdrop boards, I took an iPhone pic and sent it to the editor to see if what I had done was correct. I had two choices: put the backdrop at the rear edge of the layout, or put it directly behind the distillery. The picture I sent him was this.

Name:  Bernheim Far Backdrop 2.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  608.1 KB

He said nearer would be better. So I moved the panels to immediately behind the model. I then took another shot just to see how it works. The photographer's bringing professional lights with umbrellas so the front of the building won't be suffering in shadow as it does. The LEDs do provide significantly more and warmer light than the florescents so every couple of months when Costco features them I'm going to pick a couple up and in a year or so all the layout lights will be converted over.

Name:  Bernheim Near Backdrop 1.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  984.1 KB

Remember, all this backdrop will be blue and the lighting will be correct. It certainly isn't now. I am really excited about this article getting published…finally. I had really given up on it. Now I have to start thinking about the next ones. I should develop a more professional photo shooting area for the all the in-progress pictures. I'm noticing that folks that do construction articles regularly have their in-progress shots done with pretty good lighting and very plain backgrounds. You have to plan ahead for that.

Bernheim Article: Photography Session

Finished putting the blue backdrop up and took some images with my Canon EOS.

Name:  Bernheim Canon 3.JPG
Views: 13
Size:  1.02 MB

Name:  Bernheim Canon Shot 1.JPG
Size:  1.01 MB

And here's the setup used, shot with my iPhone.

Name:  Bernheim Photo Setup.JPG
Size:  993.6 KB

And here are two shots done by my photographer friend. He used a Nikon with a long Takom zoom lens and augmented with two remotely operated strobes with diffuser umbrellas.

This shot was done with the room lights off and really shows off the model's lighting.

Name:  Bernheim All Flash 3.jpg
Size:  705.4 KB

This was shot with room lights and strobes. Is it my imagination or is my Canon shot sharper focused than the Nikon?

Name:  Bernheim Final 3.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  757.9 KB

I'll let you all know when this will all be published. It is purported to be a 3-part article. Part one discusses using the computer to create the digital model and the remaining parts deal with construction.

As I was crawling around the layout setting up the backdrop I came to the awful realization that my city streets need to be ripped up and redone. The Strathmore-on-green foam was a failure on many levels, but since the dishwasher leak, the moisture put the nail in the coffin and has the paper delaminating all over the place. It looks like crap and doesn't meet my standards. It's a miserable job to do now since all the structures and landscaping is all around. I may remove paper and use grout as a road surface. It looks very real and hopefully won't delaminate. I may just paint the foam directly, or use thin Masonite as a road surface. Anything but what I've got now.

B2010,

I don't think your imagination is running wild. The Nikon shot may be a bit "softer", but I see them both about equal in clarity. Perhaps the daylight shot without interior lighting standing out gives that impression. I wish my Nikon photos were as good!!!

Perhaps if you apply with the Kentucky State DOT, you can get a minority grant to resurface your roads (i.e. Senior Citizen). LOL!!!

Looking good in spite of the moisture problem!

Hank

Thank you. We have the wrong governor if I expect any infrastructure money…

Today, I'm going to put those two emblems on the GTA and give it a coat of wax and call that project done. I still have to make the cutouts of the correctly sized love birds which I will also do. I should have somebody take a picture of us now in the same pose and use that with the original picture behind. That could be interesting.

Thread Information