New Shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shotgun

Okay WAB'ers, Boomer needs a new shotgun, it's time for an upgrade over the Mossberg pump and Winchester 1400 semi-auto I'm currently using. To be used for waterfowl and upland hunting, I'm trying to get a great gun, and value for money is important. I've narrowed it down to 7 guns, 5 pumps and 2 semi-autos. Does anyone have experience with any of these models, have an opinion on which one I should purchase, or perhaps a different model you would suggest?

Benelli Nova ($500): I hear really good things about the Nova, in fact this is the gun I am currently leaning towards buying. Not many complaints, although the gun looks "plasticy" and the pump can rattle a bit. Fairly heavy recoil, but fires hard and straight according to reviews. Good quality as you would expect from Benelli.

Benelli Super Nova ($650): Improved version of the Nova. It has a larger trigger gaurd, more recoil protection in the stock, and the ability to eject the chambered shell without cycling in another from the tube magazine. Even better reviews than the Nova, making it the best reviewed shotgun I have found in my research, but I'm probably not willing to pay the extra $150 for the slight improvements over the Nova.

Mossberg 500 ($300): Classic pump shotgun from Mossberg, been around for a long time. Fairly good quality and realiability, decent reviews. Cheapest of the guns I am considering.

Remington 870 Express ($350): Fairly similar to the Mossberg described above. Cheaper gun but it's fairly reliable. Gun with the most widely available after market selection of add-ons, but this isn't a big consideration for me.

Remington 870 Wingmaster ($690): The all-time classic and standard in pump shotguns. Nothing but great reviews here, although the quality of the guns in recent years seems to have declined.

Remington 11-87 ($680): Semi-auto model that has been a round for awhile. Seems to get decent reviews. Good, not great. Is a little bit heavier than the other options. My Winchester is a heavy beast and it makes a big difference when your hauling ass through scrub.

Remington Versa Max ($1150): Remington's new auto-loader. New gas system increases reliability while enabling the gun to cycle anything from light 2.75" shells to the heaviest 3.5" magnums. Nothing but good reviews from what I have read.

Note: the prices listed above are from the local Cabelas store, which is sightly less expensive than Wholesale Sports or Bass Pro Shops, at least where I am in Alberta.

I'm summary I'm willing to spend more than the Mossberg and 870 Express cost to get more reliability out of my gun, but probably not into the Super Nova or Wingmaster price range. So the Nova is the pump of choice. Haven't decided if I'd prefer a pump to a auto-loader. I started out with a pump but have been primarily using an auto-loader for the past 6 years or so. $1150 is a lot for me to be paying for a gun at this point, so it's down to the Nova vs the 11-87, and I think I'd rather opt for the more reliable and lighter pump than the auto-loader.

So I'm leaning towards the Nova, what do you think?

Baikal MP153.Can't go wrong with it.Built by Russians,which is all that needs saying.As far as I can compare,~ same or slightly lower price as a 870.

p.s And a semiauto,which doesn't hurts.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
      Baikal MP153.Can't go wrong with it.Built by Russians,which is all that needs saying.As far as I can compare,~ same or slightly lower price as a 870.

p.s And a semiauto,which doesn't hurts.
      Funny you mention that. I few years back I had a serious interest in buying a Remington SPR 453 which was the licensed MP153. But I could never find it in stores! Remington has since discontinued it.

I'd definately still consider it, cheaper and more reliable than the 11-87 from what I remember. However, I'm not sure how to get my hands on one as the big box stores don't carry them in either brand.
      Last edited by JA Boomer; 25 Apr 12,, 19:42.

Comment

I've got the Mossberg 500, nothing bad to say about it - if you want a pump, its a good gun - not very fancy or attention getting - but a long lasting, reliable gun.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Mossberg nothing fancy about it, but it works. All kinds of barrels available. 18 1/2" defense barrels, 24", 26", 28" shot barrels for birds, slug barrels, and even a .50 caliber muzzle loader barrel.

Comment

My friend just got one of these last week. Mossberg 500 Thunder ranch. He got the pistol stock.
            O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

I had to sell my 870 wingmaster of little use to the tune of $300.00. to pay for tuition. Still miss that one.
            Boomer, you have to decide what action then take it from there.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
            X