Fly Fishing anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tankie Reply

"I prefer a tip action rod against an all through action which i find sloppy with crap control"

I prefer a progressive action with a moderate tip. I don't typically need to cast beyond 45 ft. After that, mending becomes a chore plus when throwing a dry/nymph combo I'd rather have a more open loop.

I work for Gary Loomis. Not his former company, G. Loomis (owned by Shimano) but the man himself. His office is ten feet from my desk. He long ago left G. Loomis and has formed two new companies, North Fork Composites LLC (a blank company) and EDGE Rods.

We just started building rods last December although we've been building blanks for the custom rod market now for about four years. This will be Gary's fifth rod company and I've met nobody with such a grasp on the three key components of rod-building- material, design and production.

So far our focus has been on steelhead and salmon rods because of the winter steelhead and spring chinook runs. Lightest, most sensitive rods on the market. We use an amazing high modulus graphite, refuse to coat our blanks and employ minimal guides. All designed to reduce weight that otherwise unnecessarily impedes performance. We've just completed a blank production run for 9' four-piece 5wt fast-action flyrods. Action is progressive through the blank but speeds in the tip section. We'll be building those out as our first flyrod offerings.

I own two Sage VPS series rods from the early 2000s and a few others (including a bamboo from 1947). The Sage rods are nice enough but gather dust now. Don't load the way I prefer. Something I didn't realize until casting some of our prototypes. It proved to me that you've really got to cast a number of rods to properly feel each action and understand it. Without doing so, you don't know what you might be missing.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      I always wondered how fishing is relaxing?
      Well, I always find dealing with sticks of dynamite very relaxing since I forced myself to pay attention and forget all my other worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        Well, I always find dealing with sticks of dynamite very relaxing since I forced myself to pay attention and forget all my other worries.
        Philistine

Comment

Well...That explains the scotch.
          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Makes sense. You make fish fly plus you are relaxed.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
              "I prefer a tip action rod against an all through action which i find sloppy with crap control"

I prefer a progressive action with a moderate tip. I don't typically need to cast beyond 45 ft. After that, mending becomes a chore plus when throwing a dry/nymph combo I'd rather have a more open loop.

I work for Gary Loomis. Not his former company, G. Loomis (owned by Shimano) but the man himself. His office is ten feet from my desk. He long ago left G. Loomis and has formed two new companies, North Fork Composites LLC (a blank company) and EDGE Rods.

We just started building rods last December although we've been building blanks for the custom rod market now for about four years. This will be Gary's fifth rod company and I've met nobody with such a grasp on the three key components of rod-building- material, design and production.

So far our focus has been on steelhead and salmon rods because of the winter steelhead and spring chinook runs. Lightest, most sensitive rods on the market. We use an amazing high modulus graphite, refuse to coat our blanks and employ minimal guides. All designed to reduce weight that otherwise unnecessarily impedes performance. We've just completed a blank production run for 9' four-piece 5wt fast-action flyrods. Action is progressive through the blank but speeds in the tip section. We'll be building those out as our first flyrod offerings.

I own two Sage VPS series rods from the early 2000s and a few others (including a bamboo from 1947). The Sage rods are nice enough but gather dust now. Don't load the way I prefer. Something I didn't realize until casting some of our prototypes. It proved to me that you've really got to cast a number of rods to properly feel each action and understand it. Without doing so, you don't know what you might be missing.
              Ok, my purchase was a shot in the dark. I kind of narrowed it down between that and the ZXL. Lots of talk about medium action/classic action and fast action. Nothing of progressive action and tip action. I didn't have the opportunity to experiment with a lot of rods beforehand so I am really hoping this rod is something I can get a competence of in the near future.
              So far I do Ok with the direction but the casts are still short and with a lot of "WTH? dribbles" so I am thinking my timing needs improving in addition to just getting a feel of the rod. I would rather not pick up any bad habits along the way that I would have to break later if I could help it.

You plan on using the 5wt for Salmon and steelhead? interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                "...Now the biting bastards are important..."

Not really. Just the usual recreational hazard. Trout don't really focus on mosquitoes much. You will if trying to tie on a fly and they're about. Not bad over in the desert. Worse up around Crane Prarie.

Now...their close cousin, the midge? Yup. Trout make them a staple. Stoneflies, mayflies, caddis, crustaceans, terrestials, minnows and worms will be the brunt of your focus. Blue-Winged Olives, tricos, pale morning duns, salmonflies, orange caddis, march browns, mahogany duns, sulphers, grasshoppers, beetles, ants.
                Minnows,worms and grasshoppers. Everything else I get to learn.

Comment

Not forgetting the best ever trout killer ,,the greenwell glory , dry fly :wors:

Comment

bonehead Reply

"So far I do Ok with the direction but the casts are still short and with a lot of "WTH? dribbles" so I am thinking my timing needs improving in addition to just getting a feel of the rod..."

That's common. No worries there. Becoming comfortable with how the rod loads on the backcast will help build the patience and muscle memory.

"...You plan on using the 5wt for Salmon and steelhead? interesting..."

I wasn't clear. That'll be a trout flyrod for anybody but the most daring.

Since EDGE started building rods in December those have been side-drifting, salmon mooching and steelhead plug rods for gear fishing. While North Fork Composites have offered trout, steelhead and salmon fly blanks for four years, these five wts we'll be manufacturing will be the first fly rods made by EDGE, our rod company. North Fork Composites offer trout fly blanks in the 3wt-6wt class and steelhead-salmon fly blanks in the 7-8wt class.

I'd be willing to use our 6 wt for summer-run steelies over on the Deschutes though.:)
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Toured some Portland fly shops today. Orvis in Bridgeport village and the Fly shop on Halsey. Any other places I should check out.

Comment

The Caddis Fly

Might stop here when next in Eugene.

Comment

If that is the place a couple of blocks west from the 5th street market its already on my "to visit" places. If not I will add it to the other place I had in mind. Been meaning to get down there soon anyway to visit an old professor or two.

Going to look for a place or two on the west side (Portland) as it looks like I will be working in Hillsboro for awhile. Have to know where all these places are so I can drop in on the way to whatever to pick up odds and ends.

Comment

Ya know I have been pondering the dynamite a bit. I imagine a couple of sticks would be way cheaper accumulating all the fishing gear. None of that fancy knot tying and casting either. Just light and throw, collect whatever surfaces and retire to a comfortable place to throw back a few shots.

Comment

Working...
                            X