New Jersey Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jersey Visit

My brother and I took a tour of the USS New Jersey today, my first visit in several years. We decided to do the firepower tour. We got there around midafternoon, so there was no tour guide, Honestly I enjoy going at my own pace and getting to look at things up close though, so I think I preferred it that way.

We had a really good time and spent over two and half hours going through. I believe Dreadnaught is a volunteer on the New Jersey? The only comment I wanted to make was that I had hoped to see a bit more of the 16" guns, like the ammo storage area, see how the hoists work, and get into the actual gun room. Is there any consideration being given to opening these spaces? I think they would add quite a bit to the firepower tour.

I feel lot of people (myself included) would probably be interested in tour almost exclusively devoted to the 16" guns, maybe even a bit more technical in nature, after having gone on the general family friendly tour. I would definitely come back to see every space possible of the 16" gun system.

Probably easier said than done, but I figured I'd comment. Are general visitors able to visit these spaces in any of the museum battleships?

Turret One wasn't open when you were there?

Attached Files
    Last edited by TopHatter; 07 Apr 12,, 01:46. Reason: It was Turret One, not Two
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I think he was referring to lower barbette areas. The last time I was on N.J. they were not open as they are on BB55 North Carolina. Those areas are most likely open on BB's Massachusetts and Alabama.

Comment

tophatter, I was able to enter turret 2,which quite frankly is cooler than I remember turret 1 being, because it seems to be pretty much unrestored. Also it has the giant optical rangefinder in it, which I dont remember turret one having.

The issue is, even in your picture from turret one, you are looking through glass to see down into the real gun room. I would really like to get into it.

Comment

Ahhh I see what you both mean.

Yeah, Alabama was the only one I remember going down into the barbette. I don't think you can with Massachusetts.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Turret 1's rangefinder was removed during the Korean era. TH's pics are from turret 3 center gun from the gunroom. Come summer (so long as all official work is taken care of) you will be able to see turret 2 inside and out with exception to the gun wales. You will be able to see it from the shell decks and magazine to foreward gun plot. It is ready for visitors with exception to some state formalities but its painted, well lit and well designed. They did a very nice job and its all there, all equipment etc.

As far as going beyond the gunroom bulkheads, its very tight and its one hell of a drop if you were to fall. That would be the space that allows for the gun to elevate in the pocket under the gun. In the gun chamber itself, its super tight where your hoist/rammer operators sit. Not much room for standing at all.

I leave you with this. Blurry? Yes, but intentional;).
            Attached Files
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

We have the Wisky here in my area, and they are slowly opening up spaces previously closed to the public. I can't wait to check out one of the 16" turrets.

Comment

;)

Comment

This looks awesome. Now I'll have to visit the NJ again for I think my forth time!

Comment

Originally posted by qaz14595 View Post
                    ;)
                    Yep, have one of those videos myself however mine would have to come from c drive. Utube dont have it.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                    X