Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAE firm opens biggest armoured vehicles plant in the world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAE firm opens biggest armoured vehicles plant in the world!

Streit Group, a global armoured vehicle maker, officially opened its new facility in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE, which with 120,000 square metres of manufacturing space is the largest of its kind in the world.

The facility was inaugurated yesterday by Sheikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, the ruler of Ras Al Khaimah and a member of the UAE Supreme Council. This is phase I of the build, work is still scheduled to continue throughout Phases II and III where further capabilities and space will be added. Target date for completion is 2014.

At the International Armoured Vehicles conference in Farnborough in February, David Barrs, the UAE Regional Sales Manager for Streit, discussed the company’s growth and the formation of the new facility in RAK.

“We sell vehicles to VIPs, police departments and military, and we are now the biggest manufacturing plant in the world for armouring vehicles,” said Barrs.
    “It’s 120,000 square metres, and the reason we chose the UAE is because it is a hub – they come from all over the world – and labour’s a lot cheaper than other parts of the world so we can keep the costs down and compete with our competitors.

“We’re going heavily into military [vehicles] now. We build a Typhoon, which is a warzone vehicle, and we do a border control vehicle called the Spartan, and many, many more. We do 70 different vehicles, so we really go widely across the spectrum.”

With the new facility the Group can reportedly manufacture between 250 and 400 armoured vehicles per month. When all phases of development are complete it is expected to create 2,000 jobs in the region.

Talking to Emirates 24/7, Guerman Goutorov, CEO of Streit Group , said:
    "We are delighted with the inauguration of our new facility, and the support that the leadership of Ras Al Khaimah has offered in our operations. The emirate offers a range of public services, such as: easy access to transport infrastructures like ports and airports, flourishing community, cost-effective housing facilities and access to other support services. With our new facility, Streit Group is looking to further penetrate the market for armoured vehicles in the UAE and the region by leveraging superior engineering and world-class design to create the products known for its safety and endurance.”

UAE firm opens biggest manufacturing space in the world! by Andrew Elwell
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

I get the impression this facility will be building a lot of AFV's for private armies? Perhaps many of their offerings are armored limo's?
    It paints a scary picture for the world ahead - warlords with tank companies in their arsenals...
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

The Emiratis already have a partially mercenary army and are experimenting with a fully merc force.I don't know if scary is the word, but rather need .But it is part of the future.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

buissnes as usual,
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
          I get the impression this facility will be building a lot of AFV's for private armies? Perhaps many of their offerings are armored limo's?
          It paints a scary picture for the world ahead - warlords with tank companies in their arsenals...
          I'm looking forward to it. Privatization of defense will be a very interesting thing, as it is one of the main justifications for the existence of a nation. Can a private force provide defense and be more competitive than the current cost of maintaining an army for many smaller nations? I'd say yes. It allows smaller countries to still remain relevant without having to invest capital and time into nurturing a military/industrial complex. If anything, it frees up more capital to allow them to advance both economically and technologically. Win win situation for all, I'd say.
          "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Merc armies will work great,for a generation.Then is Carthage after the first Punic war,the condottieri,the late roman armies,the Saxons in Britain,the Turks in 1369 at Gallipoli etc...Paradise for some hell for others.Professional soldiers+money will be beaten always by professional soldiers+idealism.But that is far away in the future.For the foreseeable future will have professionals+money beating rookies+idealism anywhere on Earth where something is of value.The age of Cortez,Francis Drake and Cecil Rhodes will return.
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
              I'm looking forward to it. Privatization of defense will be a very interesting thing, as it is one of the main justifications for the existence of a nation. Can a private force provide defense and be more competitive than the current cost of maintaining an army for many smaller nations? I'd say yes. It allows smaller countries to still remain relevant without having to invest capital and time into nurturing a military/industrial complex. If anything, it frees up more capital to allow them to advance both economically and technologically. Win win situation for all, I'd say.
              if they do not turn tail and run when the moment comes.
              J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                Merc armies will work great,for a generation.Then is Carthage after the first Punic war,the condottieri,the late roman armies,the Saxons in Britain,the Turks in 1369 at Gallipoli etc...Paradise for some hell for others.Professional soldiers+money will be beaten always by professional soldiers+idealism.But that is far away in the future.For the foreseeable future will have professionals+money beating rookies+idealism anywhere on Earth where something is of value.The age of Cortez,Francis Drake and Cecil Rhodes will return.
                How well did the imperial legions do agaisnt Attila? The Boxers vs colonial troops? The Immortals vs the Macedonians, Crusading Knights, Jannissary v Mahmud II.... quite a long list of examples where you are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  How well did the imperial legions do agaisnt Attila? The Boxers vs colonial troops? The Immortals vs the Macedonians, Crusading Knights, Jannissary v Mahmud II.... quite a long list of examples where you are wrong.
                  How is he wrong about Immortals? They were pro's, hand picked, with 'pure' DNA, well fed, well dressed, armed, but after a while they lacked idealism, something Macedonians at Issus and Gaugamela had a lot.
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Really?

The Huns were pro's.The Imperial legions were sublime,but on paper.My bad,on papyrus.Aetius didn't fought Atilla in Italy.He did it where he had a chance of recruiting a force that could keep the ranks
                    -The Immortals were pros,all 10000 of them.Add whatever standing forces may have been under the satraps.The Macedonians were 50000,all pros.And at least to Gaugamela they went to avenge Greece,as well as make a buck.Darius' army was largely amateur and not very enthusiastic,as it turned out.
                    -The Janissaries by the time they were turned into kebab were a mercantile organization,bent on extorting money from the Sultan in exchange for not revolting.Also the guys were busy in every sort of lucrative enterprise,including all sorts of what we'd consider criminal acts.Hardly an army.
                    -Being a career soldier DOESN'T make you a professional.Being a professional is an attitude,not a job where they ask you to dress everyday in the same sort of clothes.I'll take the conscript German soldiers of WW1&2 vs most of professional soldiers of today.

Comment

Even if the troops are good if the general is a moron and they have to obey due to structure of command the battle can be a disaster. Being professional and having a moron commander at the helm does not change one or the other. Mihais its not idealism its skill if the commander is more talented it does not matter whom he fights for, whats that dude from 30 years Albrecht von Wallenstein... mercenary skillful against idealists just more talent.

I also think its more of a cycle where it comes and goes where the profitability of things makes it incentivized.

I am certain we get mercenary cyber squads of hacker commandos that will participate in taking down drones etc... if money is good enough.
                      Also the Swiss were professionals and the Condotierri companies, and people like Rene Descartes (Cartesian system) were mercenaries as well.

The general mobilization of the population grows when everyone begins to view arms as a business and a way to earn a living. Kids grow to see imposition of will as a skill and a path for the future. (Not a bad thing in a world that is dominated by the expression of such an action on the whole)
                      Last edited by cyppok; 22 Apr 12,, 23:19.
                      Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                        Really?

The Huns were pro's.The Imperial legions were sublime,but on paper.My bad,on papyrus.Aetius didn't fought Atilla in Italy.He did it where he had a chance of recruiting a force that could keep the ranks
                        And before that the plunder minded Huns wiped the floor with Theodosius' experienced troops outside Constantinople and Gallioplli.

-The Immortals were pros,all 10000 of them.Add whatever standing forces may have been under the satraps.The Macedonians were 50000,all pros.And at least to Gaugamela they went to avenge Greece,as well as make a buck.Darius' army was largely amateur and not very enthusiastic,as it turned out.
                        And your point? You said professionals motivated by ideology would ALWAYS beat those motivated by money.

[quote]-The Janissaries by the time they were turned into kebab were a mercantile organization,bent on extorting money from the Sultan in exchange for not revolting.Also the guys were busy in every sort of lucrative enterprise,including all sorts of what we'd consider criminal acts.Hardly an army.[/quote

But still professionals...

-Being a career soldier DOESN'T make you a professional.Being a professional is an attitude,not a job where they ask you to dress everyday in the same sort of clothes.I'll take the conscript German soldiers of WW1&2 vs most of professional soldiers of today.
                        And likely suffer the same result...

But here is another example Jaguar Knights vs Conquistadors. Yet another example would Hessian defeats of the Constitutional Army.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
                          if they do not turn tail and run when the moment comes.
                          Thats all a merc has though. Tell me, would you buy milk from a manufacturer who has tainted its supply in the past? Likewise, would a nation hire services from a merc outfit that has turned tail? The consumer wins in the end, like in all others things.

The point raised about corurption and inefficiency within the state military also holds a valid point. I'm sure many ex-servicemen and current servicemen can agree that sometimes the best bureaucrat or politico gets the job, not necessarily the best soldier.

There'd be no room for this in PMCs, I'm willing to bet. A bunch of mercenaries who act on pure selfish interest and will to survive would not follow a fool to a fight, nor would those who followed a fool live long to tell the tale. Incompetence would be weeded out faster, and as income cannot be taken for granted (re: no taxpayer to fall back on), one would logically assume like in other industries that have been privatized, that quality would naturally appear as per the Darwinist principles of the market, and added on top of that, warfare.
                          "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
                            Likewise, would a nation hire services from a merc outfit that has turned tail? The consumer wins in the end, like in all others things.
                            like Gaddafi's mercs ? certainly .
                            J'ai en marre.

Comment

And before that the plunder minded Huns wiped the floor with Theodosius' experienced troops outside Constantinople and Gallioplli.
                              Eastern army at the time was barely a combat capable force.Granted.it existed,unlike its western counterpart.And the Huns,Goths etc... at the time were bothe the experienced ones and under charismatic leaders,eager to supplant the Romans
                              But still professionals...
                              Professionals because ??

And likely suffer the same result...
                              Except ABCA,most others professionals are just another sort of state employees.And ABCA AVF's have yet to meet a hardy opponent.It may work or it may not,but I'll take my chance.Results in war are unpredictible.
                              But here is another example Jaguar Knights vs Conquistadors. Yet another example would Hessian defeats of the Constitutional Army.
                              So the pro's of the Flower Wars vs the pros of the decisive war?Nevermind the fact that Pedro de Alvarado killed the bulk of the Jaguars and Eagles at a festival.Thus the Spanish and their allies faced an Aztec army bereft of experienced leadership and their best warriors.
                              The Constitutional army and the French in the end defeated the Hessians and the rest of the English army.Actually this could be a perfect example for my case.A force animated by zeal that grows in its capability and professionalism to defeat a force not motivated by something similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X