Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Firewall blocking search subject "Ferrari"

So,

Starting this Monday I have been curiously awaiting news of exactly who was involved in the fatal crash of a Ferrari 458 in Beijing which apparently resulted in the search subject of "Ferrari" being blocked. I tried to Google Ferrari a few times and indeed, something was up. The few articles I found on the matter suggested that the dead driver was one of the famous "princelings," and had two female passengers in his two seat car.

This morning I found this article suggesting that the driver of the Ferrari was in fact the illegitimate son of Jia Qinglin, a member of the Politburo Standing Committee (basically as much of a somebody as you can possibly be in China). Its been an interesting couple of weeks in China news.

Ferrari 458 Italia Accident Censored by Chinese Government | AutoGuide.com News

A horrible accident involving a Ferrari 458 Italia Spyder occurred in Beijing, leaving the driver dead and his two passengers seriously injured — both female.

While that may not be groundbreaking news in and of itself, the Chinese government is moving quickly to censor any internet searches involving the word “Ferrari” as a result of the accident.

It’s believed that the man behind the wheel of the 458 was the illegitimate son of Jia Qinglin, member of the Politburo Standing Committee (one of China’s leading Communist Parties). Details of the crash are quickly being deleted from the Internet in addition to the censorship of the keyword search.

Regardless of who was behind the wheel, the wreck is devastating and we hope the passengers make a speedy recovery.

China Reins In Bo Xilai Chatter Online - WSJ.com

BEIJING—China's social-media services, which had allowed wide discussion of controversial politician Bo Xilai since his ouster last week, are now cracking down on searches for his name, as his downfall seems to have put much of the country on edge and given rise to fevered rumors of political infighting.

Enlarge Image
    CWEB
    CWEB
    Zuma Press

Bo Xilai was removed from his position as Chongqing Party Secretary last week.
    Previously

Beijing Tightens Grip After Purge
    Opinion: China's Coup Jitters

On Monday night, Internet users were startled by reports—entirely unsubstantiated—on China's wildly popular Twitter-like microblogging sites of gunfire in downtown Beijing. Nerves were further jangled by accounts of a heavier-than-usual police presence along Chang'an Avenue, one of the capital's main thoroughfares.

Among the legion of social-media fanatics, there has been fevered chatter of a political struggle inside the towering walls of the Zhongnanhai leadership compound in downtown Beijing.

One theory, widely explored: A battle is brewing between Zhou Yongkang—the country's domestic security chief who is believed to be a strong supporter of Mr. Bo—and President Hu Jintao, Premier Wen Jiabao and other leaders who analysts say likely supported Mr. Bo's ouster. Mr. Zhou is a member of the party's all-powerful Politburo Standing Committee, and one of the country's nine most powerful political leaders.

The Communist Party's grip on power depends in large part on maintaining a facade of unity, so the online rumor mill is clearly unsettling China's propaganda officials and their armies of Internet censors. That is particularly true in the run-up to a once-a-decade leadership change scheduled to take place later this year.

Rumors of a power struggle also appeared to unsettle markets: Credit default swaps on China's government debt—which offer a sort of insurance if China is unable to pay back its obligations—briefly rose on Tuesday before falling back to previous levels, according to a trader.

Enlarge Image
    CWEB
    CWEB

On Wednesday, Beijing appeared outwardly calm, though rumors continued to spin around overseas Chinese-language news websites, including that of the Epoch Times, a New York-based news organization with ties to the Falun Gong spiritual group, which is banned in China.

Mr. Bo was dumped last week after a scandal involving his former police chief, Wang Lijun, who apparently sought asylum in the U.S. Consulate in nearby Chengdu. Mr. Bo was a populist politician who grabbed national headlines with a high-profile crackdown on organized crime and attempts to revive the singing of Mao-era revolutionary songs.

For several days after his ouster, censors took a hands-off approach to online gossip, letting speculation flow freely. That changed this week as popular microblogging site Sina Weibo reinstated an earlier block on searches for Mr. Bo's name and additionally blocked a wide range of user-invented code words for Mr. Bo, including the term "not thick"—a play on Mr. Bo's surname, which means "thin."

Searches for Mr. Bo's name, "not thick" and other related terms were also blocked on Tencent Weibo, another of China's popular microblogging sites, which often impose their own blocks in anticipation of what the government will deem sensitive.

In the current overheated atmosphere, unexpected news is being parsed for political meaning. For instance, speculation has swirled about the identity of a man killed on Sunday morning when the Ferrari he was driving crashed into a bridge on a Beijing highway and shattered into pieces. Online rumors that the driver was the son of a high-level central-government official picked up steam after censors moved aggressively to quash discussion of the accident.

Police told local media that the circumstances surrounding the crash, in which two female passengers were seriously injured, are still being investigated.

"I don't recall ever seeing anything like this on the Chinese Internet," said Jeremy Goldkorn, founder of Danwei, a website that tracks Chinese media, of the recent proliferation of political gossip. The presence of so much rumor online is one likely explanation for the stepped-up censorship, he said.

"Things are getting a little too out of control, so they've decided to rein it in," Mr. Goldkorn said, adding that it was difficult to say whether the decision to block searches came from government authorities or the websites' own in-house censors.

Searches for "Ferrari," "coup" and Zhou Yongkang's name were also blocked on Sina Weibo this week. To beat the blocks, users have begun referring to Mr. Zhou as "Kang Shifu," using the name of a drink and instant noodle brand in a wordplay on the last character in Mr. Zhou's name. Sina didn't respond to a request to comment.

The removal of Mr. Bo is widely seen as a major blow to the "new left," a loose collection of academics and lower-ranking officials, who advocated a return to Maoist values and a strong role for the state in economic and political development.

That dynamic is also playing out on the Internet. An essay by one well-known academic defending Mr. Bo's record was published Wednesday on the leftist website Utopia, where a prominent section dedicated to Chongqing was left strangely blank.

The article by Cui Zhiyuan, a professor at Tsinghua University in Beijing and one of the New Left's ideological leaders, argued that both the state and private enterprise had advanced in Chongqing under Mr. Bo's leadership there. Mr. Cui has not responded to requests for comment in recent days.

Meanwhile, in a potential signal that central propaganda authorities have yet to issue clear orders on how to handle Mr. Bo's case, restrictions around the former political star on Baidu, China's equivalent to Google, appeared to have loosened.

Searches for Mr. Bo's name on Wednesday produced a list of results noticeably missing a censorship disclaimer that typically accompanies search results related to top Chinese leaders. While the absence of that disclaimer doesn't necessarily mean results aren't being censored, the search engine appeared to have removed at least some of the filters surrounding content about Mr. Bo.

For example, top results in Baidu searches combining the names of several Chinese leaders and the word "corruption" on Wednesday each pointed to articles discussing those leaders' efforts to fight corruption, whereas the top result in a similar search using Mr. Bo's name was a page on a Baidu question-and-answer forum where users were discussing whether or not Mr. Bo and his forme lieutenant Wang Lijun were guilty of corruption.

Back on Sina Weibo, the combination of stepped-up censorship with a lack of information from traditional media, far from putting a stop to rumors, appeared instead to be feeding more speculation.

"Visiting Beijing right now? Here's a list of keywords," one Sina Weibo user wrote Wednesday afternoon, going on to suggest various arcane combinations of Chinese characters, numbers and English letters that would allow others to discuss Mr. Bo, the Ferrari crash and the coup rumors.

"The strangeness on the 19th..." the user continued in reference to the day the coup supposedly took place, "sends a shiver down my spine. It can't be, can it?"

Comment

that is a beauty of the internet forums, you can ask someone in other country to search for things that are blocked in your country.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

The rumor mill is churning at full speed:

The Standard (Hong Kong: Business as usual after coup rumors spark jump in credit-default swaps - The Standard

According to the rumors, a military force and police under Zhou Yongkang, the top security official and ninth- ranked member of the Politburo Standing Committee, entered Beijing with a mission to take and protect Bo.

They seemingly occupied Zhongnanhai, tried to arrest President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao, then took control of both CCTV and Xinhua News Agency. But Hu and Wen got wind of the plan and, through forces loyal to the government, subdued the rebellion.
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

I'm finding the coup rumors very difficult to swallow. Still, a fun day to be reading news articles and chat rooms instead of working.

Comment

sounds like some over-active imaginations at work.

can't think of a better way to get china to slag down by itself, though.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by HKDan View Post
              I'm finding the coup rumors very difficult to swallow. Still, a fun day to be reading news articles and chat rooms instead of working.
              Did some search and found out that the rumor started by folks linked to the FLG. no surprise there.:Dancing-Banana:
              “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Several responders to Pan Shiyi’s tweet claimed they’d heard shots near Chang’an Avenue. Meanwhile, Weibo users, and The Epoch Times, a U.S.-based newspaper with connections to the banned Falun Gong spiritual movement, circulated photos of military vehicles on Chang’an Avenue that were allegedly taken during the alleged coup. Later, however, netizens began circulating a link to a military website from which the photos had been lifted: It turned out that the pictures were from night rehearsals for the 2010 National Day parade.
                Chinese Coup Rumors Run Wild Online, Then Disappear: Adam Minter - Bloomberg
                “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                  Did some search and found out that the rumor started by folks linked to the FLG. no surprise there.:Dancing-Banana:
                  I have to admit that I am mildly impressed that this group is still in the mix.

Comment

Boy, they don't make Ferraris like they used to.

Comment

I have to admit that I am mildly impressed that this group is still in the mix.
                      As long as they are well-funded by "certain" groups, they will still be around. Anyhow, there is the freedom of speech, I have no problem with that I just surprised to see some news outlets took them seriously and reported on their rumor mill.

Comment

The intrigue continues—

Lieutenant General Gu Junshan, deputy head of the PLA General Logistics Department (12/2009-2/2012) is said to have been detained and is under investigation for “breaching discipline.” Lt Gen’l Gu is Gu Kailai’s cousin (or brother), and former General Gu Jingsong’s son.

Gu Kailai is Bo Xilai’s wife, and co-founder of Kailai Law Firm in Beijing.

General Liu Yuan, Liu Shaoqi’s son, is Political Commissar of the General Logistics Department, and said to have been directly involved in Gu Junshan’s arrest. If correct, this would increase Liu Yuan’s chances for promotion, perhaps to head of the General Political Department.

This is almost as good as the run-up to the 12th National Party Congress!
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                          As long as they are well-funded by "certain" groups, they will still be around. Anyhow, there is the freedom of speech, I have no problem with that I just surprised to see some news outlets took them seriously and reported on their rumor mill.
                          "Certain"? I have to admit that other than the occasional sighting near the Star Ferry, I know next to nothing about this group. Are they backed by a more powerful entity?

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                            Lieutenant General Gu Junshan, deputy head of the PLA General Logistics Department (12/2009-2/2012) is said to have been detained and is under investigation for “breaching discipline.” Lt Gen’l Gu is Gu Kailai’s cousin (or brother), and former General Gu Jingsong’s son.

Gu Kailai is Bo Xilai’s wife, and co-founder of Kailai Law Firm in Beijing.

General Liu Yuan, Liu Shaoqi’s son, is Political Commissar of the General Logistics Department, and said to have been directly involved in Gu Junshan’s arrest. If correct, this would increase Liu Yuan’s chances for promotion, perhaps to head of the General Political Department.

This is almost as good as the run-up to the 12th National Party Congress!
                            If indeed true, Gen. Liu Yuan's being promoted is a good thing overall. Liu has a reformist bent. Not long ago, he authored an article that showed why the rule of law made the U.S. a strong nation and how China should emulate that part with political reform. That he would dare write something like that--and get it published--means he has serious backing as well.

Comment

"Certain"? I have to admit that other than the occasional sighting near the Star Ferry, I know next to nothing about this group. Are they backed by a more powerful entity?
                              In the US, they have Cable TV stations, dancing troupe, free news paper, websites and radio, you can't have all those without some major backings/funding.

Comment

Working...
                              X