Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abu Ghraib guard Lynndie England says of Iraqi prisoners she was convicted of abusing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abu Ghraib guard Lynndie England says of Iraqi prisoners she was convicted of abusing

In the where are they now...

Abu Ghraib guard Lynndie England says of Iraqi prisoners she was convicted of abusing: ‘They got the better end of the deal’
    By Laura Rozen | The Envoy – 1 hr 22 mins ago
    Abu Ghraib guard Lynndie England says of Iraqi prisoners she was convicted of abusing:
    Lynndie England, former Army reservist and the face of the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal, in Keyser, W.Va. …Lynndie England, the 29-year-old former U.S. Army Reserve prison guard who was convicted of abusing detainees in the 2004 Abu Ghraib scandal, said in an interview Monday she doesn't feel sorry for the Iraqi prisoners she was accused of abusing. But, the former Army Reservist who served almost two years in a military prison said she has lost sleep over whether the uproar concerning the released Abu Ghraib abuse photos cost the lives of fellow American troops.

"I think about it all the time—indirect deaths that were my fault," England told the Daily's M.L. Nestel in an interview Monday from her hometown of Fort Ashby, West Virginia. "Losing people on our side because of me coming out on a picture."

England makes no apologies, however, to the Iraqis she and ten other U.S. soldiers were accused of abusing at the prison.

Photographs of England smiling with a "thumbs up" gesture in front of a pyramid of naked Iraqi detainees and pulling an Iraqi man by a leash caused international outrage and came to symbolize the ill-fated 2003 U.S. invasion as Iraq plunged into bloody insurgency in 2004. "They weren't innocent," England told Nestel of the Iraqi prisoners. "They're trying to kill us, and you want me to apologize to them? It's like saying sorry to the enemy."

"They got the better end of the deal," she said.

Three years ago, in an interview with the Guardian, England stressed how well she related to the Iraqis when she was first overseas. "We'd go to the ice-cream shop, we'd hang out there with the locals, learn about their customs, and they were interested in ours," she said to Emma Brooks of the Guardian. "A lot of the stuff was really cool."

[Related: Should Lynndie England be forgiven?]

At Abu Ghraib, she wasn't supposed to be hanging around the cellblocks given the administrative nature of her job, but once she started paling around with Graner she did just that. "When we first got there, we were like, what's going on?" she said, according to the Guardian. "Then you see staff sergeants walking around not saying anything [about the abuse]. You think, OK, obviously it's normal."

Convicted in 2005 of "conspiracy, maltreating detainees and committing an indecent act," England served "521 days in a military prison," the Daily reported. She was dishonorably discharged from the military last year.

Now 29, England is "virtually unemployable" and living in her parents rural West Virginia home where she is raising her 7-year-old son on her own, the Daily report said. The child's father, accused Abu Ghraib ringleader Charles Graner, "didn't want anything to do with the baby," England told Nestel, despite, she said, a 2009 paternity test proving the child is his.

Noting her applications to McDonalds and Burger King have been rejected, England surmised: "It's the felony they can't get past."

She also, unsurprisingly, is finding it hard to date, telling Nestel: "It's gone on eight years now since I left Iraq, since I've really been out with a guy."
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Boo fucking hoo.

Comment

If she becomes a dominatrix for hire, it would solve all her problems.

Ad she's good at it from what I saw...

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
        If she becomes a dominatrix for hire, it would solve all her problems.

Ad she's good at it from what I saw...
        I don't think anybody in their right or depraved minds would want her as a dominatrix. She's so butt ugly that only dogs are fit for her and even people in their depraved minds still recognize this pertinent fact.
        Last edited by Blademaster; 21 Mar 12,, 16:01.

Comment

Someone screwed her. She had a child.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            Someone screwed her. She had a child.
            And we found out the person who screwed her was a little more than animal. A dog to speak.

Comment

Why are you insulting dogs?

Comment

i had a twinge of sympathy for england when i read this article.

then i re-saw some of the abu ghraib pictures and sympathy just blew out like a candle. boo-f*ckin'-hoo, as our good col says.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Boo Frickin Hoo.

Now she realizes that dishonoring the US Military has real world consequences.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X