Clear All

• what da hack is Marmite?

Marmite Shortage Shakes New Zealand
    Listen to the Story

All Things Considered
    [1 min 50 sec]
    Marmite Shortage Shakes New Zealand : NPR

March 19, 2012

New Zealanders are bracing for a possible shortage of their country's breakfast staple, Marmite. The dark, salty spread is a Kiwi cousin of Australian Vegemite. Marmite's manufacturer is still trying to resume production after damage from a New Zealand earthquake last year. As supplies run short, Marmite's producer is offering methods to ration the popular food.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

I have a colleague who says that Vegemite and Marmite are like the Oz and Kiwi equivalent of stinky tofu. A well loved food that is totally incomprehensible to outsiders.

Its basically a salty, brown paste that is spread on toast. I have never had the pleasure, but some people love the stuff.

Comment

It is horrible. It is a foul, foul substance that looks like petrified, ossified pond scum and smells even worse. There is something wrong with every single Kiwi and Ozzie out there that enjoys Marmite and Vegemite. But they're all a bunch of convict inbreeds, so the fact that they're not quite right in the head should not come as a surprise to anyone
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Marmite & Vegemite are proof of a civilized society. They are black, salty spreads made from an extract of brewer's yeast - in other words, the are a byproduct of one of the finer inventions of humanity, beer. Unsurprisingly the substance was discovered by a German, but it was the British who began to produce & sell the stuff (called marmite) around the start of the C20th. Vegemite was developed in Australia after WW1 caused a marmite shortage. I am proud to say that the yeast used was from local Victorian brewer Carlton & United (when I say local, I live next to their major brewery) combined with a bit of onion & celery extract. Vegemite didn't overtake marmite in popularity until the late 1930s, but since then it has been a national staple. it was included in Army rations in WW2. It has been recommended by the British medical association as a source of B group vitamins. It is estimated 90% of Australian homes have a jar. Mine does. Until relatively recently I ate it daily (been cutting down on bread & margarine consumption, so less vegemite. SIGH!).

To put the current issue in context, those who love their vegemite or marmite simply cannot do without it. Worse, you cannot just substitute one for another. Vegemite eaters will often turn up their nose at marmite or promite. For marmite eaters vegemite simply will not do. On a trip to England 30 years ago an English family we stayed with proudly offered us marmite, knowing we would be missing our beloved vegemite. Not knowing better when spread it on out toast & eagerly started eating, only to find thatthe taste is just not the same. Awkward.

I feel for my kiwi cousins and only wish emergency shipments of vegemite would help. Alas it will not. Crisis does not begin to describe the situation. How you holding up Pari?
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

So basically it is a spreadable beer?:whome:
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Try beer that has been laying out in the sun until it all dehydrated and evaporated, you took what was left on the insides of the bottle and spread that on your toast. That would still be better than Marmite or Vegemite
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I love marmite and have it on toast, as a hot drink, in sauces and in beef gravy. As for vegemite, it's a poor cousin that needs to stay on the shelf at Uluru (Ayres Rock)

Comment

Im gonna reply in full when my brekky is consumed ,,marmite n toast , hmmmmmmmmmmmmm no shortage here

Comment

For the sake of unity against the forces of ignorance and...well....barbarism, I am prepared to form a unified from with my marmite eating cousins in the Commonwealth. We've already provided these savages with industrialization, the English language and (most importantly) the cover drive & they still fight the superiority of our shared heritage. I feel more sad than angry. Enjoy the toast chaps!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post

I feel for my kiwi cousins and only wish emergency shipments of vegemite would help. Alas it will not. Crisis does not begin to describe the situation. How you holding up Pari?
                    If we do not hear from him in three days I fear the worst. How they can survive without the beloved spread is not worth thinking about. Poor poor Pari. :confu:

Comment

Not feelin well , maybe too much toast :whome:

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                        If we do not hear from him in three days I fear the worst. How they can survive without the beloved spread is not worth thinking about. Poor poor Pari. :confu:
                        Probably wandering the countryside disoriented & vitamin B deficient. You are right Dave, best not thought about too deeply.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          For the sake of unity against the forces of ignorance and...well....barbarism, I am prepared to form a unified from with my marmite eating cousins in the Commonwealth. We've already provided these savages with industrialization, the English language and (most importantly) the cover drive & they still fight the superiority of our shared heritage. I feel more sad than angry. Enjoy the toast chaps!!
                          Sorry for letting you down BF, but I haven't noticed English/British/Commonwealth restaurants around the globe and your industry is not keen to share this marvel of a food with us the poor barbarians who eat only all varieties of meet with vegetables and salad.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            Sorry for letting you down BF, but I haven't noticed English/British/Commonwealth restaurants around the globe and your industry is not keen to share this marvel of a food with us the poor barbarians who eat only all varieties of meet with vegetables and salad.
                            Part of our superiority is our modesty Doc. We know that if we are the best at everything people will hate us. It will get awkward. We gifted the world the modern economy, its most useful language, successful parliamentary democracy, its most beautiful sport & its yummiest breakfast spread. We aren't greedy. That will do. In fact, understatement is one of our finer qualities. We leave room for others to excell. This is where our dear cousins in America fail. They are insistent that they are the best at everything. Just ask them. Not a great way to make friends.

While we have produced fine items of food & the occasional good dish, we don't have a great cusine (actually, Australia does - we stole everybody else's ;)). We are good with that. If not for cusine what will the French have to hang on to? a shrinking language & a few dead painters? What about our poor German cousins. having invented the modern industrial economy we handed it over to them to perfect. Without that what do they have to fall back on? Their sense of humour? The ability to win wars? Our mediterranean friends also boast fine food, art & fashion. All to the good, since stuff like budgets & government seem not to be a strong point. See, room for all to be good at something.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                              Sorry for letting you down BF, but I haven't noticed English/British/Commonwealth restaurants around the globe
                              The Commonwealth may not have gifted the world with an irritating, pretentious, trendy dining option the way that the Spanish have shared tapas with us. Still, I'm a pretty well traveled guy and have yet to come across the nation where one is unable enjoy a pint and some fish and chips. I think probably the greatest contribution to world cuisine from the British Isles may be the concept of pub grub. The world is a better place for it. ...but I'm still not sure that I would enjoy Vege/Marmite.

Comment

Working...
                              X