Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if - US army confronted the Indian force on 1971 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
    And the US would have been bankrupted faster than the Soviets.
    Posted that in the wrong thread but no. The US economy was growing fast enough to keep pace.

Comment

The U. S. A. would never have attacked India, because India is a democracy. The U. S. S. Enterprise was in the Bay of Bengal, and ships carrying Pakistani men and materiel, were being sunk there, by Indian submarines.

Comment

No. The USSR was already crumbling from within in '88 and the US was nearing a period of record prosperity. Oil is the only thing that has kept the Russian economy afloat.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I see a spooky parallel to the WWI what if scenario about Britain attacking the US to prevent them from siding with the Kaiser - it was a terrible prospect, one that would have changed the way the world evolved. Had the US naval forces gotten involved in fighting the 1971 war between India and Pakistan, imagine how different (and probably not in a good way) that things might be today. I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed in that potential tinderbox situation. It appears to me that the worst international problem in the Indian Ocean today is a few raggedy pirates, and they are a matter that is easily handled by a few frigates or destroyers - and even that is overkill (a 25mm deck gun and/or ten armed men on some of the merchant ships might be enough to handle that).
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I STRONGLY question any suggestion that America harbored any inclination whatsoever to engage in combat alongside the Pakistani military against India. Sheer speculative nonsense.

Blademaster's comment regarding our economy underscores his total misunderstanding of how, exactly, we beat the Soviet empire. Aside from the various societal internal contradictions, long predicted and finally rearing their ugly heads among the citizenry behind the iron curtain, we'd considerably raised the ante required by the Soviet Union to, again, attain conventional force superiority. The Soviet Union had missed their window of opportunity available in the late-sixties to late seventies. By 1980 that door was closing. By 1985 it was shut and by 1990 we held conventional force dominance within the European theatre of operations.

The cost to the Soviet Union for regaining overwhelming conventional military power in Europe was thoroughly unsustainable given their prevailing economic model. It was manifestly evident to their leadership that they had FAILED.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by AdityaMookerjee View Post
              The U. S. A. would never have attacked India, because India is a democracy.
              and we all know that democracies never fight each other ...
              J'ai en marre.

Comment

@1979

Originally posted by AdityaMookerjee View Post
                The U. S. A. would never have attacked India, because India is a democracy. The U. S. S. Enterprise was in the Bay of Bengal, and ships carrying Pakistani men and materiel, were being sunk there, by Indian submarines.
                Originally posted by 1979 View Post
                Sir,

Except for us two demo<crazies>. India and Pakistan.;)

On a side note: I'm happy that the US didn't engage in actual combat and colonize the Indian mainland. Otherwise Nixon, the genius that he was, would have definitely resettled all his Red Indians in India and gotten the Nobel Peace Prize. Indians(red) back to India.:Dancing-Banana:
                sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

S2,

Aside from the various societal internal contradictions
                  we'll make you a proper maoist yet!
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I'm assuming that your "..." implies sarcasm with which I'd agree with. There are several case studies that demonstrate that democracies are plenty willing to go to war with each other.
                    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Astralis Reply

"we'll make you a proper maoist yet!"

Only if I get to walk around and, sorta, ummm...you know,

bust a move when the mood strikes

Attached Files
                      Last edited by S2; 11 May 12,, 02:38.
                      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                        "we'll make you a proper maoist yet!"

Only if I get to walk around and, sorta, ummm...you know,

bust a move when the mood strikes

[ATTACH]29171[/ATTACH]
                        If Astralis can produce a stirring poster involving a heroic pose, the Little Red Book and a good fly fishing rod will that tip you over the edge?
                        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Have two mature democracies ever engaged in a war (more than 1000 dead)?

Comment

probably since the begining , rome vs chartage for instance.
                            J'ai en marre.

Comment

probably since the begining , rome vs chartage for instance.
                              Neither was a democratic state as both severely restricted citizenship and suffrage. Greek city-states are not full states and even Athens severely limited citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                                Neither was a democratic state as both severely restricted citizenship and suffrage. Greek city-states are not full states and even Athens severely limited citizenship.
                                like women and slaves ? then i guess we have to discount all states until the 19th century.
                                J'ai en marre.

Comment

Working...
                                X