Is Taiwan still Japanese territory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Taiwan still Japanese territory?

In recent travels to Taiwan, I have had discussions with some local Taiwanese friends and associates to become acquainted with some of the newest research on various legal issues regarding the Taiwan question.

Importantly, there is a lot of information circulating in Taiwan which has not been reported in the mainstream English language media, either in Taiwan, the USA, Japan, or Europe.

Having stated this at the outset, it should be obvious that at this juncture (late 2011 and early 2012) this information is primarily available in the Chinese language, and some portions are in the Japanese language.

The more comprehensive “theories” being promoted in Taiwan now try to put all of the historical and legal facts together, and arrive at a total picture of what “Taiwan’s legal reality” currently looks like.

The one point which surprised me the most was the assertion that in the current era the territorial sovereignty of Taiwan is still held by the Emperor of Japan.

I would like to get some feedback regarding the major parameters of this argument.

Over the past month or so, I have worked with a Taiwanese friend to collect and translate some of this information from the Chinese. We thought that it would be desirable to get this information in front of a wider audience, and encourage some debate or discussion on the merits, one way or the other.

He also found an associate who was willing to post this information as a webpage, and two important Japanese historical documents are displayed thereon in the original Japanese versions (for reference of those with expertise in Japanese affairs).

The webpage is here –
    Taiwan is Japanese Territory

What a whole bunch of crock! Japan has ZERO CLAIM to Taiwan. Japan has not even put forth a claim to Taiwan. The number one reason why Taiwan is not part of Japan.

Comment

Is it just me or does anyone see what I just see, a smiling clown face, sorta like a Buddha smiling thing. No wonder why India named their nuclear tests, Smiling Buddha.

Comment

The mushroom cloud has been totally photoshopped into a clown face.

Comment

Originally posted by qnextt View Post
          The one point which surprised me the most was the assertion that in the current era the territorial sovereignty of Taiwan is still held by the Emperor of Japan.

I would like to get some feedback regarding the major parameters of this argument.
          Besides the Colonel's picture, I would say this is really easy: Taiwan is no more Japanese territory than Guam, Wake, Saipan, the Philippines or Manchuria.

That website looks like the kind that would also investigate if David Rice Atchison was POTUS for one day.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

qnextt

Be warned, I don't have time to deal with your BS. you are welcome to be a constructive member of WAB if you wish. otherwise............
            Last edited by xinhui; 15 Mar 12,, 20:39.
            “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Even if Japanese think so in the future, how are they going to exercise control? Politely ask the RoC to go away? Pray to Hirohito that the CCP goes into a 1000 year slumber?

Comment

You have a easier time making an argument that the Taiwan's actually part of the USA than Japan. that's what Chen Sui Bien did ;)

Comment

Japan relinquished claims to both Korea and Taiwan after surrendering to Allied forces at the end of WW2. So the Treaty of Shimonoseki and the April 1945 Imperial Rescript no longer apply. In fact, given that Japan is trading freely with just about every country in the world, I doubt they would see any use at all in retaking Taiwan. The annexations of Korea and Taiwan occurred at a time when the Europeans and Americans were flexing their muscle in East Asia. After the Opium Wars and the arrival of the Black Ships of Matthew C. Perry, the Japanese knew that, to remain free of foreign occupation, they would have to join the land grab. Not to mention that Japan's burgeoning military forces would require a strong national economy, which in turn required steady access to raw materials and labor.

Comment

The people in Taiwan don't think their land belong to China Japan or USA.Moreover,they hope the Republic of China is a nomal country(though it's impossible).
                    this is a picture drawn by a primary student in Taiwan.

Comment

Comment

I'm sorry .I can't post the picture

Comment

Comment

I did it!
                            If you have interest,I can translate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Z timezone View Post
                              I did it!
                              If you have interest,I can translate it.
                              Please do.

This looks like those funny maps on how nations see the world.
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                              X