Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How India brought down the USí supersonic man

Officer of Engineers
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    Actually not true in some respects. Look at Battle of Longewalla. If it wasn't for the support of IAF, the Indian forces would have been overrun and that battle was crucial in protecting the left flank of IA's major formations.
    I don't think so. The line held against the first assault and held against the 2nd. What the InAF did was to deny a 3rd assault but even if the 3rd assault occurred or even if successful, the Pakistanis would be spent and would have to retreat in face of the Indian counter-attack began.

I am not going to discount the InAF's contribution to that battle but reading the engagement and the problems the Pakistanis were having. The only way the Indians would have lost was that the Indians would run away in the first place.

Officer of Engineers
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    haven't heard that one in a long time, since I used to be part of the butt of it in fact.
    Thing was Soviet battle rockets were army owned, not AF. So technically, being bombed by them was not technically the AF. Did not give me the fuzzy wuzzy warm feelings knowing that.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    Commander that article is useless, worse than that in fact. Yeager was training pilots, not interacting with the Pakistani leadership. The history of the article is also suspect given the claim that the Luftwaffe lost 2000 less aircraft than the RAF during the battle of Britain.

Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    I don't think so. The line held against the first assault and held against the 2nd. What the InAF did was to deny a 3rd assault but even if the 3rd assault occurred or even if successful, the Pakistanis would be spent and would have to retreat in face of the Indian counter-attack began.

I am not going to discount the InAF's contribution to that battle but reading the engagement and the problems the Pakistanis were having. The only way the Indians would have lost was that the Indians would run away in the first place.
    Still it meant that the IA had to divert an important column to protect its flanks while weakening its frontal assault against Pakistanis defenders. It could have altered the momentum that IA was having.

Thread Information