Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most important military asset. Food.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most important military asset. Food.

So for fun I decided to build sniper outfit, and I'm not the type to just go after shiny equipment and screw everything else. So I came to the issue of nutrition and hydration, and I'm not a dietitian but I wanted to build something that was as light weight and nutrient dense as possible. So it ended up looking like this.

"Foods high in simple sugars creates adrenaline which may affect sniper performance as it increases the heart rate and involuntary movements as well as emotional stability. Psyllium is an soluble fiber that controls sugar absorption rate which should prevent this effect. The fiber in psyllium will also help prevent hunger pains which should increase the concentration of sniper preformance to the job at hand.

A multi-vitamin is added to offset any deficency of vitamin areas of the soldiers diet, however for a body to utilize the vitamins iit must be accompinied by some dietary fat; EFA’s or Essential Fatty Acid’s are most preferable, and can be supplemented by over the counter fish oil pills to meet this need in a compact and lightweight manner. The oil is necessary to metabolize the vitamins. This pill maybe unecessary if the primary ration provides enough fat for the soldier.

Salt Tablets will make more effective use of the water so long as the regulation of sodium in the diet is at optimium levels. If the primary ration is high in salt, then a salt tablet would be rendered unnecessary. The role of sodium is to retain the body’s hydration state and keep the electrolyte level in balance to retain optimal bodily preformance.

With these supplements, the only role for the ration to provide is proteins, complex carbohydrates, insoluble fibers, and calories. The ration should contain nuts as they are high in fats and calorie dense; oats or wheat's since they contain the insoluble fibers and also the complex carbohydrates missing in the supplements; soy protein powder maybe added to increase protein content; and sesame seeds increase the calorie content significantly and add fiber without adding simple sugars."

What I ended up was looking around my house, a primary ration that was something called this.

Weight: 70g or 2.4 ounces
    Calories: 320
    Fat 11g (2.5 saturated)
    Cholesteral: 0g
    Sodium 20mg
    Carbohydrate: 46 g
    Fiber 4g
    Simple Sugar:18
    Protein: 9g

Stats: 1 Pound of these bars is equal to 2100 Calories vs. MRE’s containg 1200 calories for 1 pound

Looks really good, with almost twice the amount of caloric content as MRE's. Protein seems good but I'm not sure if they are complete proteins or not, but supplementing them with protein powder maybe a way to go.

So the S-Ration or Sniper Ration would look like this...

-multi-vitamin
    -Omega 3 oil pil (ex. Fish-oil pil)
    -Salt Tablet or Electrolyte drink mix (Salt or Gatorade)
    -Psyllium powder (Metamucil [yeah go ahead and laugh])
    -Iodine tablets (water purification)
    -Vel Fruit & Nut Bar (maybe supplemented with protein powder)

It looks a bit clinical, and won't be the most appetizing ration in the world but on paper it seems to be a complete diet. So I'm wondering, is this something someone could sustain a healthy body for days? weeks? months without any degradation of performance from the human body?

You should buy some MREs, all military class rations have he nutrition to keep a person well nourished. Philippine boyscouts is not your run of the mill all boys club, we were thought to ration our food, build our own makeshift weapons and shelter, one of our "fieldtrips" were left in some dense jungle and all they gave us was 2 days worth of food, and a machete, (for each scout of course). The next part of the story was an adventure of a lifetime for the next 2 weeks.
    Can you please pass da pork and flate?

Comment

Working...
    X