Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final deployment for Enterprise (CVN-65)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Task Force 1. Both Bainbridge and Long Beach have gone to the scrappers.

And look. F-8s on the flight deck.
    The hull of ex-Long Beach was still in Navy hands until just last month when it was sold for scrap. There's a multi-year delay between the removal of the reactor compartments and when the hull is sold, probably to allow for any areas of residual radiation to "cool off".

Comment

Very true.....

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      Yes those are.

But remember "When your out of F-8s, your out of Fighters" The last of the gunslingers
      I recall an F-8 pilot relating his fustration after switching to F-4's during a conversation at dinner 10+ years ago.
      The story about pilots releasing their missile racks while going head to head with a MiG.... as that was all that was left to throw at the enemy; sticks in my mind to this day.
      At least fighters today have a gun once again..... :)

Comment

Now that Enterprise is in the Med. we will have to see if the big 'O' orders the Big E, to strike targets within Libya to get his poll numbers up?

Comment

Originally posted by jrb1537 View Post
          The hull of ex-Long Beach was still in Navy hands until just last month when it was sold for scrap. There's a multi-year delay between the removal of the reactor compartments and when the hull is sold, probably to allow for any areas of residual radiation to "cool off".
          I was under the impression (from the sales documentation) that the Navy was scrapping the Long Beach in one of the PSNS drydocks and loading the scrap onto a barge.

7,350,000 lbs approximately. Structural steel (CGN 9 cruiser, (USS long beach). This is a three year term contract at Puget Naval Shipyard.The price per pound will be adjusted every month beginning with the first full month after the start of the contract.

The price will be adjusted during the second week of the month. The revised price will be determined by taking the price of Seattle AMM No. 2 Bundle on the first Thursday of the month and dividing it into the of Seattle AMM No. 2 Bundle used on the contract start date. The percentage will be applied to the price per pound to arrive at an adjusted price.

The contract will consist of heavy, and light steel, ship hull structural sections with attachments. Ship hull structure is generated from surface ship dismantlement and includes hull plating, structural bulkheads, decks, foundations, ladders, watertight doors and hatches, joiner doors, ventilation ducting, fans, cooling coils, heaters, liquid heat exchangers, radiators, galley equipment, ferrous and non-ferrous piping with plumbing fixtures and attachments, light fixtures, valves, furnishings including tables, chairs, marine machinery and other equipment with bunks, lockers and attachments. Attachments may include non-ferrous alloys such as aluminum, stainless steel, copper and cupro-nickel, brass/bronze, and foreign materials including grease, and oil residue, fiberglass insulation, hull insulation, plastic, and rubber products, glass, deck tile with underlying terrazzo and non-friable asbestos products in the form of flange gaskets, valve packing, and duct seals. Machinery may consist of reduction gears and casings, propulsion shafts, and propellers, turbine casings, pumps, condensers, compressors, refrigeration, and distilling units, auxiliary boiler, emergency diesel generators, turbine generators, anchor handling equipment, steering gear equipment, and other machinery. No electrical wire-way runs, switching components or transformers, nor freon is included.

All material considered as scrap due to methods of dismantlement and demilitarization that may be required. Installed flange gaskets and valve packing may contain non-friable asbestos. Mechanical joints with suspect material shall be leak tight sealed and labeled with asbestos warning labels. Duct seal may contain asbestos fibers. Suspect materials are required to be transported, handled, and disposed of in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal regulations. The contractor will provide, at their expense, one 200' x 50 -60' or equivalent commercial barge for loading of large ships hull sections. Maximum weight per section is 100,000 pounds. With the average weight of loaded barge pieces being approximately 62,500 pounds, watertight integrity is of elevated importance, and shall be maintained on all delivered barges. All delivered barges will have no less than four mooring lines. Mooring lines are to be of suitable size and strength for mooring fully loaded barges. Barge loading decks will be clean and free of all forms of construction debris such as timbers, sand, and rocks. Initial barge availability will be provided upon 7 days written or verbal notification and shall be on a continual rotating basis. Continual rotating basisÂis defined as maintaining an empty barge at PSNS during peak loading periods, as notified by the shipyard. Approximate peak loading period should begin fourteen months (November 2013) into this ship breaking undertaking. Barges may be held at PSNS for loading for periods not to exceed 5 days on average. Weather conditions and equipment operations may affect ability to load and dispatch barges at any given time. Contractor will be notified of these delays and afforded the opportunity to remove partially loaded commercial barges.

Due to the size and shapes of ships hull material, safety, and load stability concerns, there are no minimum barge load weights specified or implied. Individual piece weights will be recorded, and tallied for total barge weights, this total weight will be final weight for billing purposes. Loaded barges shall be rotated out with empty barges within 24 working hours of written or verbal notification. Smaller recycled material pieces or equipment may be loaded onto flatbed tractor-trailers, Or loaded into open top 30 - 40 cubic yard capacity roll-off containers that use a cable bale system only. The contractor shall maintain a minimum quantity of two containers at the shipyard for accumulation of scrap recycling products. Initial two containers will be required during the month of August 2012. The contractor will label their containers with the company name, the container tare weight and an identifying number. Labeling will be of a permanent nature. PSNS reserves the right to verify all tare weights of containers when delivered to the shipyard. PSNS reserves the right to refuse any roll-off containers determined to be in an unsafe or poor condition. The contractor will be required to replace any roll-off container in an unsafe or poor condition within 48 hours of notification of the subject container. The contractor is required to remove full roll-off containers and replace them with empty containers within two workdays of verbal notification and within four workdays of written notification by Government Liquidation or its PSNS representative when removal is required. You are responsible for rigging, loading, securing and transporting purchased property, including all costs and risks associated with removal. Unless otherwise stated, we will provide a free tailgate loading but will NOT guaranty a specific loading time. In consideration for this 'no cost' loading service, you agree to release, hold us harmless and waive any and all claims, causes of actions, damages (including consequential damages or loss of use) or liabilities of any kind or nature. Transportation conveyances are required to have tarpaulin capabilities.

All personnel entering the Puget Sound naval shipyard for viewing or pick-up are required to be United States citizens. A true copy of persons birth certificate with raised seal or valid passport along with a form I-9 will need to be presented at the pass and Id office. An entrance letter to Puget Sound Naval shipyard must be obtained from John Miller at 253-966-1430 and returned at least 3 days prior to viewing or initial pick-up time. Pictures are representative of actual product. Superstructure of cruiser has been removed.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            Now that Enterprise is in the Med. we will have to see if the big 'O' orders the Big E, to strike targets within Libya to get his poll numbers up?
            I'm thinking Syria myself.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
              I was under the impression (from the sales documentation) that the Navy was scrapping the Long Beach in one of the PSNS drydocks and loading the scrap onto a barge.
              The terms of the contract/process instructions are nice, but in the real world, if there isn't a crew of inspectors/auditors around, the dismantling company is going to do it anyway they can to do the job as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

Comment

Perhaps already mentioned, but in the whacky weird world of conspiracists, the Big E (being quite aged) is supposedly going to become a false flag target of Israeli submarines, with subsequent evidence pointing at (of course) Iran.

Hey I didn't say I believed it. I'm just passing on the conspiracy!

What makes it so funny is the fact that they think a torpedo or two is going to send the Enterprise to the bottom. "Yeah, a Dolphin class sub is going to put a couple of fish into the Enterprise and sink her! That'll really hack the Americans, who will blame Iran, and the evil Zionists will be left laughing over our inevitable retaliation!"

When you try to explain how many torpedos it would probably take to sink the Enterprise, equipped with modern damage control and a crack crew, it doesn't quite register. To them, one or two torpedos means a ship is sunk. Never mind the ASW forces that blanket any USN carrier group.

Comment

Hey, I don't buy it for a second, but I'll say this much: If a INS Dolphin crew does manage to get through the ASW screen and put 3-4 fish into the Big E's hide, they deserve the award for "Best Submarine Crew in the History of Ever"
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                    Perhaps already mentioned, but in the whacky weird world of conspiracists, the Big E (being quite aged) is supposedly going to become a false flag target of Israeli submarines, with subsequent evidence pointing at (of course) Iran.
                    I go after those assholes with a vengeance. Like you, I start hammering away with obvious (to anybody familiar with the Navy) facts that they sputter and fume about, such as:

The Enterprise is old (and therefore in the CT's eyes, utterly expendable to the US) but she is crammed with billions of dollars worth of equipment...starting with her expensively-trained crew and her air wing.

In the CT's world, the Navy can't be bothered to defuel a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier because they've never done it before. I ask them how it's different from the 16 reactors removed from decommissioned surface ships and the 110+ submarine reactors that have been removed.

God do I hate CT's
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post

Hey I didn't say I believed it. I'm just passing on the conspiracy!

What makes it so funny is the fact that they think a torpedo or two is going to send the Enterprise to the bottom. "Yeah, a Dolphin class sub is going to put a couple of fish into the Enterprise and sink her! That'll really hack the Americans, who will blame Iran, and the evil Zionists will be left laughing over our inevitable retaliation!"

When you try to explain how many torpedos it would probably take to sink the Enterprise, equipped with modern damage control and a crack crew, it doesn't quite register. To them, one or two torpedos means a ship is sunk. Never mind the ASW forces that blanket any USN carrier group.
                      Was recently reading "The Twilight War: The Secret History Of America's Thirty-Year War with Iran", by David Crist, and, at one point, during Operation Preying Mantis, an Iranian frigate was attacked by two A-6E's and sunk; but only after sustaining hits from two Harpoon missles, two AGM-123 "Skippers", two Rockeyes, AND a final Harpoon from a US destroyer. That was a second-world, barely-maintained frigate; imagine how much more firepower would be required to sink a supercarrier.
                      Last edited by Stitch; 18 Oct 12,, 05:54. Reason: Puncuation
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Sir David Beatty quote ......

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                        Was recently reading "The Twilight War: The Secret History Of America's Thirty-Year War with Iran", by David Crist, and, at one point, during Operation Preying Mantis, an Iranian frigate was attacked by two A-6E's and sunk; but only after sustaining hits from two Harpoon missles, two AGM-123 "Skippers", two Rockeyes, AND a final Harpoon from a US destroyer. That was a second-world, barely-maintained frigate; imagine how much more firepower would be required to sink a supercarrier.
                        All of that firepower..... hmmm, was it Sir David Beatty who commented at the Battle of Jutland "our guns seem a bit off today...?

Fighting ships have many water tight compartments when set at Condition "Zebra", so is it surprising that "a single kill shot" was not realized in the recital used by David Crist. This was not the Battle of Jutland where British warships had powder and shells stacked on deck for rapid fire, proving not so good an idea, especially when someone is shooting back.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                          All of that firepower..... hmmm, was it Sir David Beatty who commented at the Battle of Jutland "our guns seem a bit off today...?

Fighting ships have many water tight compartments when set at Condition "Zebra", so is it surprising that "a single kill shot" was not realized in the recital used by David Crist. This was not the Battle of Jutland where British warships had powder and shells stacked on deck for rapid fire, proving not so good an idea, especially when someone is shooting back.
                          I bet a heavy torpedo like a Mk48 would have sunk that frigate with one shot - I suspect it would take about 10-20 to endanger a CVN. Unless of course it were a nuke torpedo - men; drink your ceremonial sake now, we will then fire the nuke at our enemy and go to meet our honorable ancestors. ;)
                          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Break the back or target practice......

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                            I bet a heavy torpedo like a Mk48 would have sunk that frigate with one shot - I suspect it would take about 10-20 to endanger a CVN. Unless of course it were a nuke torpedo - men; drink your ceremonial sake now, we will then fire the nuke at our enemy and go to meet our honorable ancestors. ;)
                            A torp would surely break the back of a frigate as discussed on the Destroyer thread..... we must therefore assume that his was a target practice event to sharpen the skill set during a live fire exhibit ??? ;)

Comment

Well Big E will NOY be a museum ship, nor will it's island structure be saved since it is not the original spacey, futuristic island that was on board when she was commisioned. The Big E crew members assoc wanted it, but the Navy said it would be too cost prohibitive. I am disappointed that this is the way it's going to be.

The govt would rather spend billions and trillions of dollars on social programs, bailing out car companies who didn't have the ability to stay competitive, an sending money to countries who would like to kill us. It appears we didn't learn anything when the first Big E was scrapped rather unceremoniously.

Navy: USS Enterprise and Nimitz-class aircraft carriers won't be museums - dailypress.com

Comment

Originally posted by drivinfool View Post
                                Well Big E will NOY be a museum ship, nor will it's island structure be saved since it is not the original spacey, futuristic island that was on board when she was commisioned. The Big E crew members assoc wanted it, but the Navy said it would be too cost prohibitive. I am disappointed that this is the way it's going to be.

The govt would rather spend billions and trillions of dollars on social programs, bailing out car companies who didn't have the ability to stay competitive, an sending money to countries who would like to kill us. It appears we didn't learn anything when the first Big E was scrapped rather unceremoniously.

Navy: USS Enterprise and Nimitz-class aircraft carriers won't be museums - dailypress.com
                                Hopefully they save her nameplate at least so it can join CV-6's.

Comment

Working...
                                X