Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final deployment for Enterprise (CVN-65)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    Negative on that one. In order to get at the reactor vessels, they'll start at the flight down and begin cutting their way down.
    She'll look something like a Jack the Ripper victim when all is said and done. To put her back together again would prohibitively expensive, assuming it's even possible.

Here's the other problem: A supercarrier museum is, in my amateur opinion, an impossibility...particularly in light of ships like Yorktown and Olympia.
    There are two many ships and not enough money. The Massachusetts museum needs several million dollars to repair her hull and at the moment they have zero.

A supercarrier is simply too much ship for a museum organization to deal with, financially, without massive infusions of donations or subsidies. And both are in extremely short supply even in the best of times.
    Besides possible higher radioactive levels, I really don't see other issues like finance as a problem. I mean she is a vital part of US and world's naval history as the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.

IMV, it would be a shame. And I am not an US citizen and am from a landlocked country.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Negative on that one. In order to get at the reactor vessels, they'll start at the flight down and begin cutting their way down.
      She'll look something like a Jack the Ripper victim when all is said and done. To put her back together again would prohibitively expensive, assuming it's even possible.

Here's the other problem: A supercarrier museum is, in my amateur opinion, an impossibility...particularly in light of ships like Yorktown and Olympia.
      There are two many ships and not enough money. The Massachusetts museum needs several million dollars to repair her hull and at the moment they have zero.

A supercarrier is simply too much ship for a museum organization to deal with, financially, without massive infusions of donations or subsidies. And both are in extremely short supply even in the best of times.
      Agreed. tbm could probably shed more light on the exact figures, but I know that the USS Hornet museum is ALWAYS scrambling for money, and one of the main reasons it hasn't already gone to the scrap yard is due to the hard and dedicated work of volunteers like tbm. Now, take a ship about twice the size of the Hornet (overall) with even more systems to maintain and repair, and there's no way it could safely or properly maintained for any length of time, baring a major financial commitment from an interested government entity (highly unlikely). And that's assuming it could even be put back together properly (which I doubt, especially since all EIGHT of her reactor vessels need to be pulled; she'll look like a block of Swiss cheese after they get done with her).
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

The name.... Enterprise !

Upon the information shared across the many threads of the Naval Warfare board there is little doube that CVN-65 will be scrapped. A proud ship with a great history of service by her crew on behalf of a grateful nation.

What I find more of interest is what future ship will take her name ??? :fish:

Comment

Unfortunately possibly going the way of it's predecessor, CV-6. Another historic ship that served its country with honors, which should have been saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            Besides possible higher radioactive levels, I really don't see other issues like finance as a problem.
            In what world? Certainly not this one. Money is what keeps those ships from sinking at their moorings and several of them are pretty darn close to doing just that. USS Cassin Young (prior to her desperately needed dry-docking) and USS Olympia for example.

I mean she is a vital part of US and world's naval history as the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.
            That really means nothing against the harsh glare of fiscal realities. Again, look at USS Olympia. It's entirely possible that she could be either scrapped or deep-sixed. And all because of money.

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            it would be a shame. And I am not an US citizen and am from a landlocked country.
            Oh it will be a shame, but it's also an inevitability.

Supercarriers are simply too mammoth for a museum group to maintain and Enterprise will be a floating scrap heap by the time the nuclear defuelling is complete.

The absolute best we can hope for is her unique and iconic island being preserved. It's entirely doable from a maintainability POV, seeing as how it wouldn't be sitting in water (salt or otherwise) and it'll be a far smaller piece of real estate to keep up with.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I can imagine a muesum with the island as a landmark building and a big barn with aircraft and other peices of the ship inside. A much more maintainable tribute to the great ship.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                I can imagine a muesum with the island as a landmark building and a big barn with aircraft and other peices of the ship inside. A much more maintainable tribute to the great ship.
                Perhaps a faux carrier layout mimicking the flight deck, similar to the CVL mock-up at the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Some current events:

From Enterprise Carrier Strike Group Public Affairs

USS ENTERPRISE, At Sea (NNS) -- A Sailor aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) was recovered uninjured after falling overboard at 5:39 a.m. March 15.

The Sailor was recovered by an SH-60F Seahawk search and rescue helicopter from Helicopter Anti-submarine Squadron (HS) 11.

The Sailor was working on the flight deck when the incident occurred. Several other Sailors working nearby witnessed the fall and immediately called for assistance.

The HS-11 helicopter, attached to Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 1, was not airborne at the time of the incident, but quickly made preparations for takeoff in response to the man overboard call.

Enterprise and CVW-1 are conducting carrier qualifications in the Atlantic Ocean prior to continuing on the ship's regularly-scheduled deployment.

The cause of the incident is currently under investigation. The Sailor is currently in the ship's Medical department for evaluation and observation.
                  Last edited by surfgun; 16 Mar 12,, 02:00.

Comment

I am "partially" in agreement with TH on that. However, there is one carrier on it's way to being a museum, the JFK. Though she is the last of the conventionally powered carriers.
                    The solution to the money problem is there needs to be a new way of thinking for future museum ships. Especially the big ones! The JFK will be done a little different. Instead of them being "just" museums, they need to be integrated into a number of uses for the communities and the states. That way there will be a number of funding sources and interests combined to keep them afloat. For example: disaster service platforms (helicopter pads included), veterans services (including housing) and a myriad of others. The Intrepid is a good example of multi-use that is working.
                    But, don't give up totally on the Big E! The lower two decks will be almost gone and yes, there will be holes in the deck! Her fate is at minimum a decade plus away! Believe it or not, there have already been some discussions about some possibilities. One idea already floated (pun intended) is to move her into a defunct dry dock and fill in around her hull, making her a grounded exhibit. Only those areas of the ship (and there will be plenty) that are still intact will be kept open. That idea is being incorporated into a future new way of thinking that involves including private uses being included. Something like a private company taking the gutted out section of the Big E and constructing a storage facility!
                    Also, the one in Boston (Cassin Young) is not really as much a money problem as it is some other issues!

Comment

Having her out of the water would be a big step, floating museums are more expensive for sure. Her structural integrety after her gutting wouldn't be so much of an issue that way either.
                      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                        Upon the information shared across the many threads of the Naval Warfare board there is little doube that CVN-65 will be scrapped. A proud ship with a great history of service by her crew on behalf of a grateful nation.

What I find more of interest is what future ship will take her name ??? :fish:
                        Heard a rumor that CVN-80 might take her name . . . .
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

You would have to get the Navy (or more specifically the Secretary of the Navy) to stop naming ships after politicians before that happens... I'd put my money on LHA-7...

Comment

Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                            I am "partially" in agreement with TH on that. However, there is one carrier on it's way to being a museum, the JFK. Though she is the last of the conventionally powered carriers.

The solution to the money problem is there needs to be a new way of thinking for future museum ships. Especially the big ones! The JFK will be done a little different. Instead of them being "just" museums, they need to be integrated into a number of uses for the communities and the states. That way there will be a number of funding sources and interests combined to keep them afloat. For example: disaster service platforms (helicopter pads included), veterans services (including housing) and a myriad of others. The Intrepid is a good example of multi-use that is working.
                            I agree, if a sound plan is thought out and implemented. But a supercarrier is still far too much ship to maintain, no matter what the multi-use is. Logistics demand a ton of money and a ton of workers.

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                            You would have to get the Navy (or more specifically the Secretary of the Navy) to stop naming ships after politicians before that happens... I'd put my money on LHA-7...
                            Mabus has already promised a return to "traditional" names.

I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

How many defunct drydocks are large enough for a CVN?
                              Last edited by surfgun; 16 Mar 12,, 22:23. Reason: spelling

Comment

Tradition...... a proud US Navy virture!

I agree, if a sound plan is thought out and implemented. But a supercarrier is still far too much ship to maintain, no matter what the multi-use is. Logistics demand a ton of money and a ton of workers.

Mabus has already promised a return to "traditional" names.

I'm not holding my breath.
                                Let us hope then that the proud US Naval tradition is upheld with the use of the name "Enterprise". ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X