Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final deployment for Enterprise (CVN-65)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bbvet View Post
    Tyrosalt wrote:

Thanks for the updated observations/comments! While it would probably be impossible to have any of the map programs 100% correct at any given time, it seems that Google maps is not as up to date as Bing - and without some form of visible date, there is certainly the probability that those "current" views are composites. The connection points & overlays you mentioned look exactly like you've described. In Google Maps, ENTERPRISE simply does not exist! I haven't been able to find her anywhere. Perhaps the Navy (or Google?) has figured out the "cloaking device technology" and has deployed it on the Big E!!!!
    I find its a flip of the coin.

I use the maps apps A LOT to plan routes to set up tours to battlefields. There are times when Google is more up to date than Bing and vice versa. For instance two years ago Bing had the center section of the Vicksburg Battlefield partially covered in trees. The entire center section was clear cut in 2012.

It's really hit or miss.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      When we went parts striping in the Suisun Reserve Fleet we went on the Holland many times in 2009-11. She was a veritable treasure trove of parts.
      Can you share some anecdotes about these parts trips, especially on Holland? I find that sort of thing fascinating for some reason.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Post 164 shows the current pierside location at Newport News for CVN 65. Also at Newport News is CVN 73 for RCOH, CVN 78 for a 12 month maintenance period and CVN 79 is 75% structurally complete (to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2019).

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Can you share some anecdotes about these parts trips, especially on Holland? I find that sort of thing fascinating for some reason.
          You mean what we took?

Below the 1st pic is the Holland's DRT in CIC. The Hornet has three of them in Navigation, Flag Plot and CIC. The one in Flag Plot was barren then I saw the one on Holland in CIC. Using flashlight I took the guts out of one and put into ours. Before and after. Notice the phones above the DRT? Those are also gone too. See the single and quad sound powered phone outlets to the left? Those are also gone. Any and all that were in pristine condition I took to replace gouged ones on the Hornet and make ours pristine again. Yeah, I can't help myself but I like pristine.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by tbm3fan; 09 Aug 18,, 03:20.

Comment

• See the Captain's chairs on the Holland Bridge? Those I took along with others I found giving me a total of five in storage now. Most brass pieces of many different kinds were also removed by me.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Soda and coffee dispensers
              Attached Files

Comment

• Band saw, belt sander, hole puncher and two 6 ft. lathes removed.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Ice Cream maker now in our snack shop. Our restoration electrician removing any and all electrical parts he could use from any ship he found them on.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• The list goes on and on. From hand tools, to fire axes, antennas, about 100 CO2 bottles, barber chairs, steel rod stock, steel plate stock, lighting fixtures, light bulb, plumbing parts, electrical parts to escalator parts and a gun. We started up in Suisun in 1999 and continued till 2013. Our escalator is working courtesy B.A.R.T engineers and parts striped from the USS Oriskany. Remember the gun from the USS Tulare? Good thing we are a carrier as that means practically our entire 4th and 5th deck are storage.

TH, you may want to move this to the Hornet thread
                    Attached Files

Comment

• TBM3fan,

Great photo collection!! I guess in your case you had to line up the barge and lifting capabilities in order to transport all the "booty" back to HORNET, correct? And you certainly didn't do this by yourself all in one day, correct? As much stuff has ended up on the ocean floor at taxpayer's expense, it's good to know something, at least, was salvaged and put to good use!

Comment

• Originally posted by bbvet View Post
                        TBM3fan,

Great photo collection!! I guess in your case you had to line up the barge and lifting capabilities in order to transport all the "booty" back to HORNET, correct? And you certainly didn't do this by yourself all in one day, correct? As much stuff has ended up on the ocean floor at taxpayer's expense, it's good to know something, at least, was salvaged and put to good use!
                        The way this worked is that we would get two days per month to go out there and they were back to back. Generally a large metal box was loaded onto the fantail of a ship in the row we were working on. We would hump the stuff back to the box or boxes and load them up. Once we hauled about 150 CO2 tanks from below decks on the Tulare and then back to the box. That was a task. The MARAD crane would then come over and lift the box down to it's platform and head back the the pier. Here the box would land on the pier and we would transfer the booty to our trucks.

The gun mount had to be barged all the way from Suisun down to Alameda and then lifted onto the waiting sponson on the Hornet. Tom had already done the work of installing the mount for the gun to sit on in an original position. The gun arrived months later when the stars aligned. The heavy machine equipment, as in the Holland, was moved to the center of Deck 2 where there was a large overhead panel that could be removed. When MARAD had the time they would come over, remove the panel, reach in and lift the lathe or whatever out, and then move it to the pier. Tom would be alerted and head over to get it. Once in Alameda the fun would start i getting it from the hanger deck down to deck 3 and then 100 feet aft along a passageway into the machine shop. Those overhead tracks do come in handy. We have so much stuff from there beside tools there is all kinds of kitchen ware, dinner ware, towels and linens, dental equipment and barbers chairs as more examples. Besides a CVS you could say we are also a AF. We had a lot of fun out there from 0700-1600 twice a month for 12 years. I really miss those days...
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks for the great explanation & more photos. To be honest, I'm a bit envious of your proximity to naval objects, weaponry, machinery oil, and so forth. I had planned on a coastal retirement but it doesn't look like the Admiral is going for that - I may still try to figure out something, perhaps a weekend now & then on NORTH CAROLINA once I've gone into "mothballs" next year.

The last photo is esp. telling - all three of you look totally like you "belong" there!!!!!

Comment

• An absolutely great story!!!
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Amazing, absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for those pics and stories!!

(I'll shift some posts over to the Hornet thread, soonest)
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Perhaps a reason not to have an all nuclear carrier force?
                                https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...avy-big-bucks/

Comment

Working...
                                X