Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will come as blasphemy but I didn't enjoy LOTR that much. I had guard duty on a remote base for a week, and I took the full, massive, three books in one and read the whole damn thing.

It sucked.

It was long, drawn out, excessive rambling on where no detail at all was needed, and a thoroughly far-from-enjoyable experience. Not what I'm looking for in a book. The movies were even worse by hardly following the books, but most movies are worse than the book.

And then we get to HP. The first book came out when I was in 5th grade and was geared towards kids, something LOTS most definitely wasn't. Books 2 and 3 were okay but getting repetitive. Book 4 had some interesting parts but was mostly boring, and books 5 and 6 just plain sucked. Book 7 was by far the worst of the lot, except for the last 100 pages where there finally was a grand melee, but even that lacked the luster and action of a really good battle sequence.

Not that I'm not a fan of the fantasy novels. Just the opposite, I read plenty of fantasy. One of my favorite fantasy series' was the Belgariad and the Mallorean by David Eddings. Belgarath, the main sorcerer from those two series' was bloody awesome. He was a drunk, a thief, loose with women and proprieties in general, and was 7,000 years old and the most powerful man alive.

In the final aggregation, they both sucked. Gandalf would have kicked Dumbledore's ass because he wasn't a pussy, but Belgarath would have kicked both their asses
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Discworld for you! You can be my 'luggage'. You have NOT read Tolkien until you read the Silmarillion. He wrote LOTR only because The Hobbit was a commercial success (a la HP aimed at kids) and the publishers wanted "more stories about hobbits". The greater conception is akin to Asimovs Foundation series but vaster.

Comment

I read the Silmarillion, as well as the Hobbit. I'm thorough, even when I don't enjoy something, I'll finish it. Same exact reason I read all three books in the "Girl who X'd the Y" series, which also all sucked.

Discworld is fun to read, but I didn't really get into it enough.
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Post #5 was a semi-serious question btw.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
            Sorry, I did not see that post at all. Without your second comment I would still be oblivious to it.

I'm running a scenario on another forum with a heavy military focus that would basically violate the "time-shift" restriction placed above. It's about shifting a modern country back to WW1. Entirely. Total timeline currently currently encompasses 65,000 words - in short descriptions. It'd be interesting to overhaul some parts of it based on feedback from WAB. Crazy enough to disqualify?
            If I understand you right, this is a "Ring of fire" on larger (country) and smaller (time) scale? It is not nuttier than the MEU vs Rome discussion, though most likely more than what the folks had in mind when they suggested this forum. I would say let's try it and see what happens. Should we as a result see a large increase in "Astronauts vs Cavemen" debates, we can still intervene.

Comment

Astronauts, duh...

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                Astronauts, duh...
                HG Wells WAR OF THE WORLDS. The astronauts lost.

Comment

They weren't astronauts, they were Martians. Worlds of difference apart

Comment

Fine.

Planet of the Apes. The Astronauts lost.

Comment

Since we don't have Bruce Lee around whoever has Chuck Norris will win.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                        Should we as a result see a large increase in "Astronauts vs Cavemen" debates, we can still intervene.
                        Caveman. The astronaut would begin by worrying about whether he was hurting his great great granddaddy and possibly negating his own existence... Then he'd try 'coming in peace' because you have to be a liberal pinko nowadays to work for NASA. The caveman would just whack him on the head with a stick and have him for dinner.
                        Note: the scenario changes if the astronaut is Chinese, as is likely in the future, though the outcome is the same.
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

bigross86 Reply

"It sucked."

You have a modest imagination and little taste for fine literature.

Gandalf 24/7. He was a serious practicioner of the dark arts.
                          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I beg to differ. I've read thousands of books already from most genres out there. I've read LOTR once and tried it again. Couldn't force myself through it the second time. Hell, I've beaten my way through most of War and Peace for the second time and still going strong, just couldn't do LOTR again

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                              Weeeellll, my daughter did ask me who would win, Gandalf vs Dumbledore. Any takers?
                              Yoda would have kicked both of their asses!
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

I have no doubt that it is...but I have no way to get my head around that!
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X