Linsanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linsanity

So what does everyone make of Lin, Linsanity, and Lingate?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

To date he's proved an outstanding basketball player. Funny that a California player of the year had no major scholarship offers. Equally odd that both the Warriors and Rockets saw fit to let him go but he's certainly making a name for himself (and some green) in the Big Apple.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Kind of proves that there is a lot of good talent out their that most of us will never see or hear about. Look at all the mediocre players that teams and media had higher expectations of. Even so he might never had this level of exposure if some of the "stars" on his team had not been injured. I would like to see more players like Lin and less "gangsters from the hood" Lin is looking to be a good role model as well.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I'm glad he's on the Knicks and showing some awesome skills, helping a team I used to worship as a kid return to their rightful place.

What's this "Lingate", however?
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

as some people might guess, the jeremy lin phenomenon has gone beyond america, turning him into an idol for asians everywhere-- asian-americans, chinese, taiwanese, etc.

in asia, particularly taiwan, the press has gone insane, with taiwanese press calling him a "national hero". within days of his Ascension, both the chinese and taiwanese- excuse me, "chinese taipei"-- national basketball teams were clamoring for him to play for the glory of the country. then came the inevitable "he's taiwanese! no he's not, he's chinese!" nationalist arguments.

i particularly like the headline of this (taiwanese) editorial, though.

loosely translated,

Jeremy Lin is an AMERICAN- taiwan, what are you so smug about?

---

damn right.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by astralis; 20 Feb 12,, 18:15.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
            I'm glad he's on the Knicks and showing some awesome skills, helping a team I used to worship as a kid return to their rightful place.

What's this "Lingate", however?
            Fired ESPN Editor Apologizes, Says "Chink In The Armor" Headline Not Intended As A Slur
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I'm shocked someone didn't realize that would be offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                I'm shocked someone didn't realize that would be offensive.
                I wouldn't have. It's not in my vocabulary. I've heard it before, but rarely.

What if the writer had been Chinese? Or black, if it had been a black slur.

Where Is The Black Jeremy Lin?
                To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Working...
                X