Canada ends gun registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada ends gun registry

Gun registry: Conservatives and enthusiasts cheer the end of database | News | National Post Canadians gain some freedom! :Dancing-Banana:
    CADPIPE

That is some good news! Congratulations, to those of the Great White North!

Comment

Am I missing something?

You had a law to register the piece you own and now you don't have to?

Was it any messy bureaucratic procedure?

Can someone compare that act with registering a car?
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Anyone know how importing legal long gun firearms from US to Canada is going to work out now? I was thinking of bringing in a Kel-Tec Su-22.

Also.
        "Jeff Larivee, whose wife was killed in the 1989 Montreal massacre, is a spokesman for the Coalition for Gun Control. He said he and many other Quebecers feel outrage at the Harper government's determination to dismantle laws that, for many, serve as a memorial.

``I feel frustrated and I feel sad for my wife,'' he said. ``We are continually facing a government with an ideological belief that guns should not be controlled.''"

Good. Because gun control is people control. Maybe if we all we're given responsibilities for our own safety, less people like your wife would have been killed.
        Last edited by roffelskates; 17 Feb 12,, 19:51.

Comment

Alright, I like guns as much as the next guy, but eliminating the gun registry? Seems a little iffy to me in terms of the increased difficulty to crime solving and enforcement of responsible usage in general.

Originally posted by roffelskates View Post
          Good. Because gun control is people control. Maybe if we all we're given responsibilities for our own safety, less people like your wife would have been killed.
          The last time near-unrestricted gun laws existed was during the late 1800s Southwest frontier. And there's a reason it was called the "Wild West."

I can understand packing heat for hunting and home defense, especially if residing in environments where Law Enforcement is relatively far away or overburdened (Ranches, forests...Detroit ). But, unless you're one of the relative few who train routinely, are responsible and proficient with firearms, then there's really little reason not to leave the crime fighting business to the cops.
          "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
            Alright, I like guns as much as the next guy, but eliminating the gun registry? Seems a little iffy to me in terms of the increased difficulty to crime solving and enforcement of responsible usage in general.
            It's a whole lot of crock. Law abiding owners will keep their firearms safe and secured. Stolen ones are stolen ones. It really doesn't matter if you knew the legal owner, it was stolen. Also, there's no data storage on the rifling impressions which makes the whole thing useless unless you have the firearm in question.

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
            I can understand packing heat for hunting and home defense, especially if residing in environments where Law Enforcement is relatively far away or overburdened (Ranches, forests...Detroit ). But, unless you're one of the relative few who train routinely, are responsible and proficient with firearms, then there's really little reason not to leave the crime fighting business to the cops.
            Oh really, why should I as a law abiding citizen be restricted to firearms just because I live in the city?

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              Am I missing something?

You had a law to register the piece you own and now you don't have to?

Was it any messy bureaucratic procedure?

Can someone compare that act with registering a car?
              It was a money grab. I have 3 firearms sitting at the bottom of Calabogie Lake. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Sir, I wasn't implying the lack of need or the discouragement of the civilian use of firearms, I believe that's a perfectly legitimate thing to have at your disposal, as long as one takes responsibility in training up to a level of competence. "I can understand packing heat for hunting and home defense...where Law Enforcement is relatively far or overburdened."

What I was inferring was for gun laws to act not as an annoyance to people acquiring decent firearms, but rather as a more laid back entity based on a system of organization. I'm not well versed on the regulatory annoyances of the Canadian registery, but at least from my POV, it seems to me no different than having a license plate on a car. Although judging by prior comments, I gather it wasn't very good at it's intended purpose in the first place?

Comment

From what I understand, Canadians still need license for most of their weapons, also they have list of approved weapons.

The only thing accomplished is that now there wont be record on what you own. Has to do more with privacy then with the right to bear arms.

The reason for starting to record on who owns what is also ridiculous. Not sure how those records helped "prevention".

Unless I missed something.
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Registering a vehicle is not a good analogy.

My first thought with any registry is "Why? Why should I have to register my private property with the government?" At least with the case of vehicles, the argument can be made that collecting taxes on them can be used to build and maintain the infrastructure necessary for their use. Roads, bridges, air traffic control, port & harbor facilities. But with firearms, it's nothing more than a feel-good bandaid, and does little to nothing to prevent crime.

Comment

Okay I got some clarification on the law and it does seem to be more of a fiscal/practical move by the Canadians. Makes more sense to me why the registry was scrapped.

From Wikipedia: Canadian Firearms Registry

Former Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino is opposed to the gun registry, stating in a press release in 2003:

"We have an ongoing gun crisis including firearms-related homicides lately in Toronto, and a law registering firearms has neither deterred these crimes nor helped us solve any of them. None of the guns we know to have been used were registered, although we believe that more than half of them were smuggled into Canada from the United States. The firearms registry is long on philosophy and short on practical results considering the money could be more effectively used for security against terrorism as well as a host of other public safety initiatives."
                      As the registration of long guns in the overall Canadian Firearms Registry only applies to common sporting rifles and shotguns, the potential repealing of such registration requirements would only affect 'non-restricted' classified firearms. All firearms classified as 'restricted' or 'prohibited' by law and orders in council in 1934, 1977, 1991, 1996, and subsequently would remain registered and unchanged. A Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL), and the prerequisite training, is mandatory to purchase or possess any firearm. Hunter education programs are a requirement of all hunters in Canada.
                      And...apparently the registry can be hacked pretty easily?

John Hicks, an Orillia-area computer consultant, and webmaster for the Canada Firearms Centre, has said that anyone with a home computer could have easily accessed names, addresses and detailed shopping lists (including make, model and serial number) of registered guns belonging to licenced firearms owners. Hicks told the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) that "During my tenure as the CFC webmaster I duly informed management that the website that interfaced to the firearms registry was flawed. It took some $15 million to develop and I broke inside into it within 30 minutes."
                      Last edited by Red Team; 18 Feb 12,, 14:55.

Comment

Thats a step in the right direction. Good for Canada.
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

The point of gun registration is to make licensed gun owners accountable for the guns they own. Otherwise any licenced owner can buy guns on behalf of people with criminal records or mental illnesses, or minors, who wouldn't get a licence. It will only mean squat in a place that isn't awash with illegal firearms from less regulated neighbouring jurisdictions and illegal imports. That is why it is probably pretty useless in North America.
                          "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiegunner View Post
                            It will only mean squat in a place that isn't awash with illegal firearms from less regulated neighbouring jurisdictions and illegal imports. That is why it is probably pretty useless in North America.
                            C'mon mate, Even in places which don't share a land border (Australia) The place is still awash with illegal imports - and guns that were not even registered in the first instance.

I'm all in favour of your first para..
                            The point of gun registration is to make licensed gun owners accountable for the guns they own. Otherwise any licenced owner can buy guns on behalf of people with criminal records or mental illnesses, or minors, who wouldn't get a licence.
                            I have no problem with - Unless the registration scheme, (as someone who is pro gun) gets used at a later date, when my firearm becomes 'illegal' and a buy back is required'.

BUT - Plenty of people get arrested with the serial # Ground off...

I'm not being pedantic - Registration has it's uses, Only if the Government guarantees my right to own one as someone who has no convictions - which they won't. The failure to squash lobby groups publicly means I do not feel safe about my interests which are perfectly legal.
                            Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiegunner View Post
                              The point of gun registration is to make licensed gun owners accountable for the guns they own. Otherwise any licenced owner can buy guns on behalf of people with criminal records or mental illnesses, or minors, who wouldn't get a licence. It will only mean squat in a place that isn't awash with illegal firearms from less regulated neighbouring jurisdictions and illegal imports. That is why it is probably pretty useless in North America.
                              Then why forced us to jump through hoops to get the license in the first place? There are specific legal requirements in order to get Possession Licenses. Buying them for someone else is not one of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X