Marine Corps Insists Marines Are Too Dumb to Know This Is a Nazi Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Corps Insists Marines Are Too Dumb to Know This Is a Nazi Flag

Marine Corps Insists Marines Are Too Dumb to Know This Is a Nazi Flag - Yahoo! News
    Marine Corps officials say the Marines who posed with this Nazi SS flag did so because they had no idea those distinct S's were Nazi symbols, they just thought it was a neat font they could use to represent sniper scouts, the Associated Press's Julie Watson reports. "I don't believe that the Marines involved would have ever used any type of symbol associated the Nazi Germany military criminal organization that committed mass atrocities in WWII," Camp Pendleton spokeswoman Maj. Gabrielle Chapin told Watson. She summarized Chapin's explanation as the Marines making a "naïve mistake." The Marines will not be punished.
    RELATED: 16 Most Hair-Raising General Mattis Quotes

The photo was taken in September 2010 in the Sangin province of Afghanistan and sent to weapons maker Knight's Armament Company. KAC posted the image on its blog with the caption, "The 'SS' flag has been adopted and used by the Marines in referrence to 'Scout Sniper.'" That they would sent this photo to a third party for publication is probably the best evidence that it really was a "naïve mistake." Still, the Marines would have had to have missed every Nazi movie and video game, and never spoken to one of the many, many American military members who served in Germany, which has banned the band Kiss's logo because the S's are too close to Nazi iconography. (In Germany, Kiss posters have Z-like S's instead.) Gawker's Maureen O'Connor, who links to a cached version of the Knight blog that has since removed the photos, is skeptical. "[H]ow you end up acquiring Schutzstaffel flag? Unless our men in uniform sewed the flag themselves, you'd think the whole 'Please make your check out of Nazi Memorabilia 'R' Us' thing would have tipped them off."

Ok First off. I am not trolling. Just want some insight by those who would know best.
    What really went on here?
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

The journo is too dumb to know that's NOT a Nazi flag.:) All SS flags were black with silver runes.

I'm sure the Red Star would have been considered proper.
    Last edited by Mihais; 10 Feb 12,, 10:51.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
      The journo is too dumb to know that's NOT a Nazi flag.:) All SS flags were black with silver runes.

I'm sure the Red Star would have been considered proper.
      ^^

Too early to blame a public education system?
      "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

On a serious side... they qualify for French ministers.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Its a freaking embarassment and a disgrace.

I don't care about racist intentions or not.

That a commander allowed his Marines to openly display that flag along with my National flag is a gross failure of leadership.

Relieve the Company and Platton commanders and the platoon Gunny and 1SG have a crap load to answer for.

Dumbasses.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

One would think after past examples of the armed forces being turned out in the media that someone might have asked if this was a wise move. I guess they have their answer now. I dont subscribe to the Nazi relationship propaghanda though.

On a lighter note about that article... can any of these people name any one song that Kiss performed that had any relationship or foreshadowing of some sort of Nazi theme?

I grew up listening to them and know others that followed them alot more then I did. I have never heard anything of the sort in their music and think that this is just weak as far as a relationship to the letters and how they are used. The media should get the golden globe for creativity.
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 10 Feb 12,, 15:31.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Gawker's Maureen O'Connor, who links to a cached version of the Knight blog that has since removed the photos, is skeptical. "[H]ow you end up acquiring Schutzstaffel flag? Unless our men in uniform sewed the flag themselves, you'd think the whole 'Please make your check out of Nazi Memorabilia 'R' Us' thing would have tipped them off."

This part of the article is just plain out moronic. I guess she has never seen one of those flags either. Idiot.

I wonder what she would make of the US Marine sharpshooter medal and its placement when worn from a distance.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 10 Feb 12,, 15:49.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                On a lighter note about that article... can any of these people name any one song that Kiss performed that had any relationship or foreshadowing of some sort of Nazi theme?

I grew up listening to them and know others that followed them alot more then I did. I have never heard anything of the sort in their music and think that this is just weak as far as a relationship to the letters and how they are used. The media should get the golden globe for creativity.
                Kiss was not a member of my country's armed forces and representatives of my country overseas. I don't give a rat's ass about some trash hair band. Nor do I care about a what a ditzy reporter had to say...that is not the point.

These are members of the armed forces.

As I said, lousy leadership.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  Actually, KISS got a lot of flak for the font used on their name in Europe throughout the 70s. They changed the logo for their European tours starting in 1982 for that reason, using a more regular capital S in the logo. They still do so today. Their own decision though, for the sake of selling more in Europe where people were a bit more conscious of this thing (and no, it's not limited to Germany either).

Comment

This is just sad, "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it".... For no one in the chain of command to notice and stop this choice of iconography is pathetic - I have never believed that our men in uniform were stupid - but this particular group certainly challenges my beliefs.
                    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 10 Feb 12,, 18:20.
                    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

The main question in my mind is, now that we are seeing a pattern of soldiers and marines and sailors pulling idiot stunts and photographing themselves then publicly displaying those images, when are we going to see a policy of no cameras or no cell phones or no social media? At least in the operational area? Also I wonder if these military based reality shows on tv now influence it- maybe these people think they'll get a social media following that they can turn into a reality show gig? At any rate they should have seen on the news how many idiots do things like stage fights in school or vandalism, record and post it then get caught when the cops watch it. For that kind of stupidity alone these guys should get the bum's rush out. I mean, you want to trust someone with that kind of judgement with a weapon? I go by the old Boston saying: "Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." I'd add never film when you can just tell.

Comment

If it weren't for some experiences I have had in my office regarding the historical knowledge of 16-18 year olds I would kick all of their asses. However, since I have run across young males, from a very good school district, who didn't know who JFK was I would have to wonder. This would have been a few years ago and could easily be some of those guys. Frankly I was stunned but it is what it is and history gets shorted in school nowadays. Don't forget, even though they are military, they are also 18-25 years olds who have lived their teen lives on the internet. They will continue to do so and may not even grasp the fact that there are things that should never be available for all to see. All my personal info is highly private but I am generations before and times are a changin...

However, I would hold the commanders to a much higher standard as well they should be. These officers should have been aware of this stuff and made sure their soldiers knew what is what. Unfortunately, one day some of those 18-25 year old soldiers will be officers and then who knows what will get filmed and posted...

Comment

Well, I guess if everyone thinks that Gils sans looks just like Arial black then their flag does look like some versions of a Schutzstaffel logo. Apart form the color of course. And the angle of layout. And the Font. Are we to ban all angular fonts?
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Sirs,you're talking scouts snipers here.The most ''independent'' minded lot in a Marine btn. The picture is also as unofficial as it could be and it's in theater of operations.Meaning that discipline is not the same and should not be the same as in the barracks. A chap some time ago said that his legionaries can fight just as well perfumed.If Gaius Julius can cut some slack,maybe we can do the same.After all,Jolly Roger flown after the return of submarines doesn't mean pirates are back and marching people on a plank.

Gents(civvies),give me a break.Being un-PC is what makes a Marine a Marine.If your sensitivities are hurt,tough luck.I suggest you switch places.If you can't do the job or don't want to do their job I respectfully suggest to mind your own bussiness.And listen to this song and try to grasp its spirit

Those who know don't speak
                            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

They just thought it was a neat font they could use to represent sniper scouts
                              Where do you guys serve? Oh, we are in SS ;)
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                              X