No announcement yet.

Why use shotguns over other guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes the shotgun such a potent weapon is the way in which energy from the shell, often extreme amounts of energy, is dumped almost instantaneously into the target in a devastating wound channel. The best expanding 9mm in the world cannot come close to the damage even a .410 can do, and with much less danger of overpenetration. This assumes the shotgun shell is loaded with bird shot for CQB.

The muzzle energy of the lowly .410 exceeds the .44 magnum.

Proponents love the shotgun because it is a freaking hand howitzer. It's no more complex than that.

Comment

Everything in concert. Synergy- the end result greater than the sum of the parts.

Think of it this way. Three guys charge two-one armed with a shotgun and the other with a M1911 .45 ACP-both excellent weapons for CQB. Shotgun blast blows three to the ground and second guy walks up and delivers the coup de grace with his pistol at close range.

That way nobody misses. Very efficient.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

any over penetrating .45 rounds safely bury themselves in the floor
        the kids and neighbors are safe, plus a professional cleaning company has a good paying job
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

There is a reason that a properly equipped 12 gauge is called a "street sweeper". They can also shoot non lethal sand bags when the need arises.

Now if the perp retreats to a dark alley, is about 30 feet away and is behind cover showing only his firearm, a 9mm hit by a rookie would be damned lucky. A 12 gauge spread would even the odds to the officer's favor.

As my Dad would say, (retired cop) "We used shotguns because they wouldn't let us use flame throwers."
          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            No it doesn't.

At distant ranges the spread is fairly wide but at home engagement ranges the pattern doesn't have the distance to spread. Its just as easy to miss with a shotgun as it is with a pistol.

That is the main problem I have with shotguns for self defense. People with little experience think they can clear a hallway with one shot. So they don't spend time practicing.

When used by a well trained individual, a shotgun is deadly. With little chance of over penetration or collateral damage.

Much easier to aim when nervous. Longer site radius improves accuracy.

I've seen people (trained individuals) dump a 15 round mag, while under pressure, and not hit the target at 7 yards with a pistol. All it takes is a slight twist of the hand.

But as many of us have stated over and over again, The best weapon for home defense IS THE ONE YOU TRAIN WITH.
            I disagree GG. With the rest of your statements, indeed I agree. Perhaps my post was too short for anyone to draw any conclusions from. I was typing it from my phoen.

There are several reasons I state that a shotgun would be preferable to a pistol, when a person is under stress:
            1. It forces you to use both hands. A far more steady aim than a pistol (unless you use both hands to hold the pistol, but then I doubt most civvies practice that?)
            2. The physical weight of the shotgun leads to a more steady position.
            3. As above, the weight also mitigates the effect of recoil, something you can't do with a pistol.
            4. Pistol vs shotgun sights - well, I WOULD think that the shotgun sights would be easier for someone under stress
            5. Psychological - if you know you have only a few rounds, you are going to aim. If you think you can waste a few, you aren't going to bother to aim the first few shots.

Of course, my above points are in relation to a person who is not trained.

Comment

Shotguns are scarier than handguns, if a home invader will be scared away by a gun, the shotgun is more likely to do it. I had a friend who made his own 12 guage SD loads with lead wire, he used a bundle of 1/8" dia x 1" wires in the plastic cup wad, they really blew the crap out of pumpkins... He had a stainless pump combat shotgun with a black pistol grip and slide grip and lived in a bad neighborhood. A few bad charactors retreated in a hurry when he greeted them by racking that gun with a wire round, one even dropped his .25 and and a baggie of powder dope in his flight. The friend handed over the dope to the police, but kept the .25 auto... He was a scary guy, I don't associate with him anymore, I've got kids and don't trust him - he drinks too much.
              Last edited by USSWisconsin; 11 Feb 12,, 17:43.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

I currently have a 9mm with JHP at my bedside, but only because I don't have a suitable place to keep a larger gun ready in my smallish bedroom, and my house is laid out such that moving about the rooms with a long gun would be quite difficult.

Given more space and a good place to keep it, my Ithaca Model 87 DSPS will become the defense weapon of choice. Having been woken up at 3 a.m. by a false alarm on my security system, I can attest to the panic of such an event. I'd much rather have the shotgun in that situation.

Comment

Just found this on Sig Sauer's website, seems like a pretty cool compromise.

http://http://www.sigsauer.com/Catal...-platform.aspx

And, what do you know, I own a P226. Guess what just became my graduation gift to myself in six months :)

Comment

Not that I'm an expert, but

I've read somewhere that if you want to take out someone immediately, you have to hit a vital organ or the central nervous system. (otherwise they keep coming at you for a while)

Maybe it would be that each time you pull the trigger on a shotgun you have about 8 chances of a pellet hitting those points, compared to 1 chance with a pistol.

That would make a shotgun 8 times more likely to immediately take someone out with the first shot.

Comment

Originally posted by FJV View Post
                      I've read somewhere that if you want to take out someone immediately, you have to hit a vital organ or the central nervous system. (otherwise they keep coming at you for a while)

Maybe it would be that each time you pull the trigger on a shotgun you have about 8 chances of a pellet hitting those points, compared to 1 chance with a pistol.

That would make a shotgun 8 times more likely to immediately take someone out with the first shot.
                      Hmm... Then Uzi or Mac-10 are better then any shotgun
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                        Hmm... Then Uzi or Mac-10 are better then any shotgun
                        no it's not. 1 shot vs 8, shotgun wins
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Uzi and MAC-10 are spray and pray. When it comes to sheer volume going downrange with one pull of the trigger, Uzi and MAC-10 win
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

When it comes to sheer volume going downrange with one pull of the trigger...., there they may win, but we talk about home defence. at home defence they loose to shotgun.
                            i know for a fact if you don't train with full auto smg often, your 8th round will be far away from 1st round, there is absolutely no garantee, your 8 shot burst will hit the target with all 8 rounds. more like the other way around. even at close range.
                            not to mention, there aren't many places where full auto smg are legal, at least in usa.
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

A SMG would be a poor choice for HD, the risks to innocents would be unacceptable - besides the legal ramifiactions, it would be easier to explain firing once, than spraying a clip. The chance for being cited for excessive use of force with an SMG would be much greater than for a shotgun, which also has sporting uses - an SMG does not.

Comment

I was merely replying to FJV's 8 hits vs 1. Not advocating full auto for HD.
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                                X