• Show
Clear All

• Another Iowa Class Armor Question...

It was well documented in all the main Battleship Books
    Dulin,Friedman etc. that the Iowa's main (weather,bomb) deck
    was a solid 1½” STS across and extending a little passed
    the citadel towards the bow and stern

My question is what about the 01 level deck abaft the "B" turret
    under the bridge. When I was on the Jersey I was amazed at how large an area it was in real life but the deck always looked small on paper. (see pic below)
    What was this decks thickness?
    a guide on the ship told me it was ¾ STS but he was'nt sure,
    but a hatch that was open in that deck was easily over 1" in
    thickness, maybe even 1½” anybody know what the deck thickness is?

Thanks in advance,

IMO, I have not looked but I would think that it would be due to a few reasons but I'm pretty sure Rusty could answer it. One of my primary reasons for believeing such is that it is in the area of the turret and magazine. That area also houses several compartments below in that area and access to shell decks whose hatches are well armored for shell handling. That and considering the amount of tonnage the upper levels weigh in decking and bulkheads. It all has to fit together and be properly supported for its protection scheme to work properly. That level (01) also supported quad 40mm Bofurs mounts on each side of the superstructure so it had to be pretty strong. The upper handling room for a few of the 5"/38 mounts (51 & 52) are on that deck as well as a few other places of importance.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Feb 12,, 01:00.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Rusty is the right person to answer definatively. If I was designing the ship, this would be 1.5" since it is as important as the rest of the bomb deck - but top weight is a concern, so there may have been a compromise.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Sorry guys, the the 01 level in that area is only 15.3# M.S. or 3/8" thick Medium Strength Steel, same as most of the superstructure bulkheads. Some of the smaller decks further up are only 1/4" thick. To meet London Treaty weight limitations, a lot of "give and take" had to made in their designs.

But have no fear. The 3/8" inch thickness would have been only 1/4" except the strength was needed for ammunition load out on Turret II. The 40 mm gun tubs were 5/8" thick STS on Iowa and New Jersey but increased to 3/4" on Missouri and Wisconsin. Same is true for the splinter deck 30" below the 2nd deck when we learned neither Japan or Germany were abiding by the London Treaty.

Naturally, we would expect as much armor as possible, but we were following the rules. When we converted the Admiral's cabins on 02 level to CEC, we found their decks to be only 1/4" M.S. But we added 1" thick HY-80 on top and sort of replaced the 3/8" thick bulkheads with 1 1/2" thick HY-80 as well as laying 1 1/2" thick HY-80 on top of 03 level (see the photos on pages 244 & 245 of my book).
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Wow, thanks Rusty, never would have guessed 3/8" MS
          I could have sworn it was thicker though, the guide was close to being
          right, I was WAAAY off thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            Sorry guys, the the 01 level in that area is only 15.3# M.S. or 3/8" thick Medium Strength Steel, same as most of the superstructure bulkheads. Some of the smaller decks further up are only 1/4" thick. To meet London Treaty weight limitations, a lot of "give and take" had to made in their designs.

But have no fear. The 3/8" inch thickness would have been only 1/4" except the strength was needed for ammunition load out on Turret II. The 40 mm gun tubs were 5/8" thick STS on Iowa and New Jersey but increased to 3/4" on Missouri and Wisconsin. Same is true for the splinter deck 30" below the 2nd deck when we learned neither Japan or Germany were abiding by the London Treaty.

Naturally, we would expect as much armor as possible, but we were following the rules. When we converted the Admiral's cabins on 02 level to CEC, we found their decks to be only 1/4" M.S. But we added 1" thick HY-80 on top and sort of replaced the 3/8" thick bulkheads with 1 1/2" thick HY-80 as well as laying 1 1/2" thick HY-80 on top of 03 level (see the photos on pages 244 & 245 of my book).
            Rusty, Just a quick question on this. I have not seen an entire armor schematic in print. The bomb deck is continious though across the main deck with exception to certain areas yes?

Hmm, thinking I must get a copy of this book but at a descent price.
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Feb 12,, 17:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
              Rusty, Just a quick question on this. I have not seen an entire armor schematic in print. The bomb deck is continious though across the main deck with exception to certain areas yes?

Actually I have a copy of the original Navy plan that shows the arrangement of armor. But I'm feeling a bit poorly today with a sore throat and lack of sleep. I'll look for it later.

Comment

Actually I have a copy of the original Navy plan that shows the arrangement of armor. But I'm feeling a bit poorly today with a sore throat and lack of sleep. I'll look for it later.
                Rodger that and you have mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  If you're talking about my book, get it from Amazon. It retails for only $39.00 but sometimes they have it on sale for about 32. DON"T get it on e-bay. Some book dealers want sixty to a hundred bucks for a copy.

But I get my royalties from Amazon, NOT book stores.

Comment

If you're talking about my book, get it from Amazon. It retails for only $39.00 but sometimes they have it on sale for about 32. DON"T get it on e-bay. Some book dealers want sixty to a hundred bucks for a copy.

But I get my royalties from Amazon, NOT book stores.
                    Rodger that Rusty.

Comment

Working...
                    X