Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those deer and elk are so screwed.

Self-Guided Bullet Strikes Target a Mile Away [VIDEO] - Yahoo! News

A breakthrough in precision bullet technology for small caliber firearms will make striking a target an easier task. Two researchers at Sandia's National Laboratories created a self-guided dart-like bullet able to strike a target more than a mile away.
    [More from Mashable: Apple Introduces New Reservation System for iPhone Purchases in China [VIDEO]]
    The self-guided 4-inch bullet prototype has been successfully tested in both computer simulations and field testing -- where bullet speeds have reached 2,400 feet per second. The bullet differs from missile technology, in that the self-guided bullet has an optical sensor that can detect a laser beam on a target, which allows the bullet to steer toward a target.
    In one field test, researchers attached a tiny light-emitting diode, or LED to the bullet to tract its path and researchers found the "battery and electronics could survive the bullet's launch," Sandia Lab reported.
    [More from Mashable: British Tourists Barred From Entering U.S. Over Tweet About ‘Destroying America’ [VIDEO]]
    The bullet is still a prototype, but if it passes further testing conducted by a private firm, the bullet will be accessible to recreational shooters, law enforcement and the military. Lockheed Martin assisted Sandia Lab's research and has worked with the military to develop a self-guided bullet over the years.
    "While engineering issues remain, we’re confident in our science base and we’re confident the engineering-technology base is there to solve the problems,” Sandia researcher Red Jones said in a statement.

You all can have one too but I am first in line for this bad boy.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

interesting.
    but i wouldn't bet on that be on sale for public anytime soon.
    besids it has to be fired from smooth bore.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

I just read the title of the thread and thought Pari was visiting America.....

Comment

Nah, Pari is exclusive to his sheep
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

A real one species kinda guy, huh?

Comment

At least he's faithful...
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
              interesting.
              but i wouldn't bet on that be on sale for public anytime soon.
              besids it has to be fired from smooth bore.
              I wouldn't allow it for sports or self defense. SF units only ;)

P.S. Just re-read it. 4" "bullet"? Pardon me but that's heavy arty ammo ;)
              Last edited by Doktor; 01 Feb 12,, 00:44.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

We have "ultra mags" that are about that long and some even drag a .50 cal on occasion so this really isn't over the top. Hitting something consistently at that range changes everything.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  At least he's faithful...
                  Just as well. Deer are too fast and their legs are too long.
                  I pity the fool that would try to mount a cow elk during the rut. Those are violently mean and nasty beast. The bull elk are pretty scary too.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    Just as well. Deer are too fast and their legs are too long.
                    I pity the fool that would try to mount a cow elk during the rut. Those are violently mean and nasty beast. The bull elk are pretty scary too.
                    did you get confused?

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                      did you get confused?
                      No. I hunt them. Its the other people that think they are cute furry animals that must be fed and hugged are the ones that get confused.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                        No. I hunt them. Its the other people that think they are cute furry animals that must be fed and hugged are the ones that get confused.
                        Depending on where you live, not for long. Unless the greens, the USFS, ranchers and hunters can work together to create a sensible wolf management program the Elk and even deer are in trouble. I want wolves in the forest, in their proper numbers and place, I don't want them so numerous they impact other game, livestock and livelihoods.

Comment

Get ready for the $1000 per shot deer kill, or miss.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                            Get ready for the $1000 per shot deer kill, or miss.
                            Deer hunting costs that much already - by the time a hunter gets to shoot one, they're lucky if they've only spent a 1000$. Sometimes they miss - and there aren't any refunds. Back in the 80's it already cost 100's to hunt deer, if you were hunting them locally, lots of people came back with a hangover and not much more - maybe the promise of some consolatopm venison from someone in the party who got one (usually a stick or two of sausage). Add a hunting trip to the hunt and it becomes an expensive and not very comfortable vacation. The cheapest deer are road kill, if somebody hits one in the head - and gets it processed right away - then vension can be a good deal - if you don't figure the insurance hike. Hitting one with an old truck is best - often the truck doesn't need any significant repairs.
                            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                              Depending on where you live, not for long. Unless the greens, the USFS, ranchers and hunters can work together to create a sensible wolf management program the Elk and even deer are in trouble. I want wolves in the forest, in their proper numbers and place, I don't want them so numerous they impact other game, livestock and livelihoods.
                              The wolf problem is way overblown. Disease and coyotes are much bigger problems. Wolves will take care of the coyotes naturally and as wolf numbers increase they are already being hunted. Like any other species reintroduced there will be some fluctuations but nature is really good at long term balancing.

Comment

Working...
                              X