No announcement yet.

Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeings jets were passed off by the GoI during the MMRCA. Since then, boeing has been taking unilateral steps and proposals to try to get india to buy them. Do remember that the f16 was taken out in the preliminary stages of the MMRCA.

Comment

• Originally posted by anil View Post
      Do remember that the f16 was taken out in the preliminary stages of the MMRCA.
      Yep. Which is why I think it's only chance is vs the Tejas.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
        But if IN does go for the F-18, it will be just a (comparitively) handfull of planes, another brick on the logistics/training wall. Whereas if they use Rafales, the logistics/training chain allready exists, mostly.
        While I agree in principle, I don't know that the IN really gets to take advantage of whatever training/logistics for the Rafale the IAF possesses.

If the different services are more insular when it comes to training, (naval aviation is a different beast after all) the IN will have to setup a new support structure for whatever jet it ends up buying, which makes F-18s a much stronger candidate being less expensive and not requiring structural modifications to the IN's carriers.

Does anyone know the degree of cooperation (or lack thereof) between the IAF and IN when it comes to the MiG-29? It sounds as though the basics of flight on prop driven aircraft are taught to all pilots by the IAF, but from there the training for IAF and IN pilots diverges widely.

http://idrw.org/read-how-indias-nava...s-are-crafted/
        Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 11 Sep 17,, 19:54.

Comment

• The tata-boeing proposal is unilateral
          The adani-saab venture is likely backed by the GoI

Comment

• What is the son of T-50? FGFA?
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
              What is the son of T-50? FGFA?
              Sukhoi Su-57?

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                Sukhoi Su-57?
                Aren't both Su-57 and T-50 same?
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  Aren't both Su-57 and T-50 same?
                  I think the Su-57 is the combat-ready/series-production version of the T-50...

Comment

• Yeah, exactly. Any idea when they will go into production? I heard 2018, and India would start getting it by 2020.

Comment

• Russia Pitches MiG-35 to India as FGFA Project Falters

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...roject-falters

"According to an Indian defense official, “The MiG-35 is 25 percent cheaper [than rival candidates for the IAF requirement]; has an AESA radar; has commonality with the fleet; and being in the light to medium category enables it to land in the same airfields that the [indigenous] Light Combat Aircraft does. If the FGFA does not go through, Russia will have to be compensated, and this is the only contract left at the moment.”

Comment

• I see a new India-based meme...

"Buy all the fighters!!"

Comment

• I'm just waiting for them to announce that they'll be taking a sample platter approach and buying 10 of each fighter offered.
                          Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 18 Sep 17,, 22:04.

Comment

• IAF pitches for 36 more Rafale fighters after it gets the first 36 from France

Not more Rafales, Air Force may choose Gripens or F-16s

It's a puzzle.

Comment

• ... I can't even...

Comment

• If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say the IAF is interested in expanding the Rafale fleet since they have to build the infrastructure for them anyway, while the GOI is more interested in the tech transfer and production experience HAL will gain from an F-16 or Gripen deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X