Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    It's a Norwegian system, based on the AIM-120 AMRAAM. And I very much doubt that, as the article states, it "shields Moscow"...
    Actually I read - Like Washington and Moscow, Delhi too to get missile shield , but posted another link. Editorial mistake probably.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• The phrasing is also sloppy/misleading in that the NASMAS system is not an anti missile system, merely an anti-aircraft system. So a shield that uses missiles, not a shield *against* missiles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        Actually I read - Like Washington and Moscow, Delhi too to get missile shield , but posted another link. Editorial mistake probably.
        Ah, right right, bit of a mix up.

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        The phrasing is also sloppy/misleading in that the NASMAS system is not an anti missile system, merely an anti-aircraft system. So a shield that uses missiles, not a shield *against* missiles.
        Yeah, that is weird. And this is a short range system, definetly not up to the task of covering a city...

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
          It's a Norwegian system, based on the AIM-120 AMRAAM. And I very much doubt that, as the article states, it "shields Moscow"...
          What they want to say is Mosow has a similar defense in place. Not that it is this particular version

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65181833.cms

Last edited by Double Edge; 31 Jul 18,, 18:47.

Comment

• Looks like it's to be part of a 2-tier system. Didn't know India was working on an BMD...

Comment

• Interesting that they want to split it between a NATO system and a Russian system. I would have thought that would make for difficult integration between to two systems. though perhaps not if the S400 is intended primarily for missiles; in that case their wouldn't be overlap in the target sets and they could basically operate independently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Josh View Post
                Interesting that they want to split it between a NATO system and a Russian system. I would have thought that would make for difficult integration between to two systems. though perhaps not if the S400 is intended primarily for missiles; in that case their wouldn't be overlap in the target sets and they could basically operate independently.
                I think, at this point, India is used to such integration problems. Whether they can make it work...

Comment

• With India, I'm reluctant to even hazard a guess as to what guides their defense procurement decisions.
                  • Could be they approved two different deals with two different parties to help with leverage to negotiate a better price on the one they actually want.
                  • Could be a two tier system.
                  • Could be that there's two different groups within the MoD that have seperate budgets and don't bother to talk to each other...

Comment

Interesting that they want to split it between a NATO system and a Russian system. I would have thought that would make for difficult integration between to two systems. though perhaps not if the S400 is intended primarily for missiles; in that case their wouldn't be overlap in the target sets and they could basically operate independently.
                    Its worse than that. India is already acquiring the Spyder and Barak-8 land based version (called MR-SAM in IAF). I have no idea what capability NASAMS will provide which is not covered by those two.

S-400 is in a different category.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                      Its worse than that. India is already acquiring the Spyder and Barak-8 land based version (called MR-SAM in IAF). I have no idea what capability NASAMS will provide which is not covered by those two.

S-400 is in a different category.
                      It's a cunning plan to confuse the enemy... no one knows what they'll come up against...

Comment

• Program i'm watching says NASCAMS-2 is India's solution to terrorist attacks via missiles and drones (!)

Houthis fired one off at Riyadh with a little help from Iran

But WHAT outfit in Pakistan can get its hands on missiles and drones ? or are we envisaging a scenario where they capture a few and then fire some off.
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 31 Jul 18,, 20:53.

Comment

• Maybe not militants, but certainly the government of Pakistan has drones. I was unaware of the Barak 8 buy; integration issues are one thing but that is just a straight up overlap in capability. I'm just assume that the usual corruption that occurs in Indian procurement is the cause, or else different bureaucracies with different budgets bought different weapons of their choice. Probably a bit of A and B, really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Program i'm watching says NASCAMS-2 is India's solution to terrorist attacks via missiles and drones (!)

Houthis fired one off at Riyadh with a little help from Iran

But WHAT outfit in Pakistan can get its hands on missiles and drones ?
                            The Pakistan army.

Comment

Maybe not militants, but certainly the government of Pakistan has drones. I was unaware of the Barak 8 buy; integration issues are one thing but that is just a straight up overlap in capability. I'm just assume that the usual corruption that occurs in Indian procurement is the cause, or else different bureaucracies with different budgets bought different weapons of their choice. Probably a bit of A and B, really.
                              Don't suspect corruption this time. Probably some kind of quid pro quo to get a CAATSA waiver for the S-400 buy. I'm only guessing.

The Tejas flies with GE engines so the Americans have a huge leverage on India when it comes to CAATSA. If we had to buy something NASAMS having an overlap with Barak-8 is good in that we don't have to worry about future sanctions.
                              Last edited by Firestorm; 31 Jul 18,, 21:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

But WHAT outfit in Pakistan can get its hands on missiles and drones ? or are we envisaging a scenario where they capture a few and then fire some off.
                                Depends on what kind of drone you want and for what purpose. Anyone with money can get a decent drone just to wreck things up. 5mn on google gave me these. Very impressive models, for civilians.

Comment

Working...
                                X