Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    Wonder what happened this time?...
    The priest wasn't available for the nut&bolt laying ceremony.
    Last edited by Oracle; 09 Jul 18,, 15:31.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• IAF ‘harvesting organs’ of globally retired jets
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Going from
        "Brains brains brains"
        To
        "parts parts parts"...

Comment

• Fascinating discussion on the Rafale.

It carries 2.5 times its weight, allows up to 5 missions a day. Engine change in a half hour. Maintenance is easy

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            Fascinating discussion on the Rafale.

It carries 2.5 times its weight, allows up to 5 missions a day. Engine change in a half hour. Maintenance is easy
            Brochure claims are not really useful on the battlefield. Actual experience may vary depending on how much you invest in spare parts and maintenance personnel.

As for carrying 2.5 times its weight, haha they are dividing MTOW by the empty weight and going wow! without considering what wartime mission would actually require the aircraft to take off at MTOW and what would its performance be then.

Not saying it isn't a great aircraft but we should keep in mind that most aircraft manufacturers are really good at marketing. IIRC during the original MRCA saga, Saab at one point was claiming max-payload figures for the Gripen E/F which were around the same as the F-16 an aircraft with far more power available. And this when the actual Gripen E/F variant hadn't even flown. It finally flew only in June 2017.
            Last edited by Firestorm; 27 Jul 18,, 19:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
              but we should keep in mind that most pretty-much-everything manufacturers are really good at marketing.
              Fixed that for you. :D :D

Also, the tone of the video feels alot like justifying a rushed, expensive, we-had-no-choice purchase. Much as I am a big Rafale fan, such videos and marketing data must always be taken with a ton of salt. I'd be far more interested in combat reports of the Rafale's usage in Syria.

Comment

• AVM Patney did a good job justifying the Rafale purchase. Too often there are these lingering doubts that we got too few or should have gone for something else. Just clouds the whole affair. I prefer positive takes. The people deciding on these matters are pro's in the air force who had ten years to make up their minds. I expect they know what missions we will fly and what is required. A general pattern i've noticed is any one from the air force is positive about Rafale. The analysts from various think tanks are the opposite. There was one on this show and the AVM argued with him

Because the Rafale has a faster turnaround, 30 Rafales can do the same work load of 50 Su's

One of the points brought across is we're supposed to be spending 3.5% of our GDP on defense but only manage 1.5% from which pensions need to be deducted. The point Patney mentioned is defense makes up 12% of the budget. And if that percent holds over the years then a growing economy will ensure we will be able to buy more Rafales in time. We should be done by 2040.

When we go in for the next batch of Rafales i don't think people will think the first buy was rushed. They will see it as a much needed start that should have happened much earlier but was not carried out due to neglect.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 28 Jul 18,, 07:48.

Comment

• France is considered an ally as a matter of perception.

Comment

• The French hold the current record for being the most often invited guests at the republic day parade. Five times so far.

If Trump accepts our invitation next year, Modi will be the only PM to have had two American presidents visit within one term

Comment

The French hold the current record for being the most often invited guests at the republic day parade. Five times so far.

If Trump accepts our invitation next year, Modi will be the only PM to have had two American presidents visit within one term
                      Electoral coup?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                        Electoral coup?
                        Or he looks at all the foreign weapons, screams "enemies!" and runs away...

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                          Or he looks at all the foreign weapons, screams "enemies!" and runs away...
                          I think he'll come and i want to see him bust some moves when he's here : D

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          Electoral coup?
                          Don't follow

What is clear is we're not holding early elections ie certainly not before Jan 26
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 28 Jul 18,, 20:29.

Comment

• Didn't want to create another new thread for just these news.

India to Buy Missile Shield NASMAS-II From US to Protect Delhi, Other Cities

Never heard of NASMAS. How good/effective is that?

India gets a high-tech boost as US elevates India to most-important allies list

Tra la la ... :D

Comment

Don't follow

What is clear is we're not holding early elections ie certainly not before Jan 26
                              Bad news on the the jobs scene, precarious farmer situations, caste based agitations and reservations, lynchings due to fake whatsapp messages and cow slaughter etc. India needs something to talk about before the elections.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                                Didn't want to create another new thread for just these news.

India to Buy Missile Shield NASMAS-II From US to Protect Delhi, Other Cities

Never heard of NASMAS. How good/effective is that?
                                It's a Norwegian system, based on the AIM-120 AMRAAM. And I very much doubt that, as the article states, it "shields Moscow"...

Comment

Working...
                                X