Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    I like shiny, hi-tech golden baits, without even ToT, which can be used in wars against rouge states, and US would mind its own business. For far too long a section of US lawmakers have propped up rouge regimes. That needs to stop, if they have to do business with India.
    For India, I do think it's a good deal (assuming it doesn't come with a mandatory "buy US" stamp).

Comment

IIRC, it's for newer carriers that India is building, IAC-II to be precise.
      Meant to be a bit of a joke. EMALs in its current form isn't really ready. It can launch ok, but there are design issues that limit it. Giving it to India could be a two edged sword, "Here you go, but you'll need to put some $$ into this to make it work properly. Let us know what you come up with..."

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
        Yeas, but I think the US' idea (apart from the political angle) is to use it as bait for an F-18 purchase.
        it's interesting that you see the catapult as more of a commercial ploy to sell the F-18.

I was looking it as more as a political decision by the US towards India because that is how i think Delhi will be viewing this.

Its just a catapult though, should things proceed further then politics will come in. Supply in times of disagreement is a frequent argument that crops up.

The west and the US in particular gets held up to a stricter standard here than Russia.

Originally posted by JCT View Post
        Meant to be a bit of a joke. EMALs in its current form isn't really ready. It can launch ok, but there are design issues that limit it. Giving it to India could be a two edged sword, "Here you go, but you'll need to put some $$ into this to make it work properly. Let us know what you come up with..."
        I don't see this as necessarily bad, there is going to be some customisation anyway to suit Indian requirements
        Last edited by Double Edge; 27 Apr 18,, 22:29.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
          it's interesting that you see the catapult as more of a commercial ploy to sell the F-18.

I was looking it as more as a political decision by the US towards India because that is how i think Delhi will be thinking about this.
          I'd put it at both.

Comment

Rex was a punk, couldn't last more than 1.2 years in the administration. I have come to admire Ashley Carter, it is because of him that we're seeing increased defense co-op between the 2 countries. Also ex-President Obama, though his frustration and growing weariness with Pak during his final years in office is what I dislike about him. That dislike is more strategic, than personal for many. To me, it's both. Politics aside, the Indian Naval Arm has Mig-29Ks, 45 IIRC, flying off the Vikramaditya, but with poor spares support and maintenance.
            It's slow moving as and when the US remove us from the tech denial regime that dates back to the 70s.

The question we should be asking is, do we want the same Soviet/Russian experience to withhold us or we're ready to look at it from a different perspective considering future defense acquisitions? If the US gives us the carrier technology, it only makes sense that India buys their products, and I am all for the F-18s. I am also in for the F-16, if there is a contract that F-35 would remain as a future buy for the IAF, after the necessary ecosystem is developed in India.
            The elephant in the room here is political. Small steps taken consistently builds a momentum for bigger decisions once India & the US become more comfortable with each other

Also if the F-16 gets selected, and the assembly line moves to India, Pak would be cut off from future support and upgrades and will be left buying whatever the Chinese offers.
            How well will the F16 be able to deal with whatever the Chinese offer ?

Comment

Why ? if the catapult was intended as a CBM then it will work to sell other planes and products

Rex said 100 year relationship, remember : D
              It's pretty much a guaranteed revenue stream.

Comment

• Six global companies respond to India's RFI for 110 fighter jets
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• At this point, one has to wonder if the Indian Ministry of Defence is trolling everyone - the IAF, the Indian people as well as the aircraft manufacturers. They know nothing is going to come out of this, just like nothing came out of the MRCA boondoggle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                    At this point, one has to wonder if the Indian Ministry of Defence is trolling everyone - the IAF, the Indian people as well as the aircraft manufacturers. They know nothing is going to come out of this, just like nothing came out of the MRCA boondoggle.
                    Yeah... maybe it's the cynic in me, but something tells me we'll still be discussing the "MRCA whatever" 5 years from now...

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                      At this point, one has to wonder if the Indian Ministry of Defence is trolling everyone - the IAF, the Indian people as well as the aircraft manufacturers. They know nothing is going to come out of this, just like nothing came out of the MRCA boondoggle.
                      Its as if Trump is in charge and is redoing everything HIS way : D

Of course it will be something terrific

Comment

How well will the F16 be able to deal with whatever the Chinese offer ?
                        What are the Chinese offering? The Chinese are still buying Russian engines to fly their aircraft. The newer F-16s are more than capable of handling Chinese aircrafts being gifted to Pak.
                        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• India reconsidering Rs 2 lakh crore 5th-generation fighter jet programme with Russia

Comment

• And, Tejas misses another deadline for being fully combat-ready

Comment

• Wonder what happened this time?...

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                                Wonder what happened this time?...
                                The priest wasn't available for the <em>nut&bolt</em> laying ceremony.

Comment

Working...
                                X