No announcement yet.

Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Gillette sales model at play ? give the razor away for free cause its the blades that sell

US to release EMALS technology to India for aircraft carriers | ET | Oct 18 2017

The US has decided to release the crucial Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System for the Indian Navy's future aircraft carrier, according to the Trump administration.

India had sent a letter of request to the US government during the Obama administration for the Electromagnetic Launch System (EMLAS) built by General Atomics for aircraft carrier planned by the Indian Navy.

Due to its flexible architecture, EMALS can launch a wide variety of aircraft weights and can be used on a variety of platforms with differing catapult configurations.

Aerospace expert Dr Vivek Lall, chief executive, US and International Strategic Development, of General Atomics had told earlier that General Atomics is planning to open an office in Delhi to support the Indian government's military requirements.

The Indian Navy plans to integrate the US-made EMALS catapults into its future supercarriers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      Is the Gillette sales model at play ? give the razor away for free cause its the blades that sell

US to release EMALS technology to India for aircraft carriers | ET | Oct 18 2017
      Waaaaaat?... Why?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
        Waaaaaat?... Why?!?!
        They agree to a catapult cos maybe what you said will come true, those catapults will be launching general dynamics planes off Indian carriers, one day. Maybe

Comment

They agree to a catapult cos maybe what you said will come true, those catapults will be launching general dynamics planes off Indian carriers, one day. Maybe
          Heck of a big "maybe"...

Comment

Or its an effort to sabotage Indian carrier production. Sell them something that doesn't work, or will require immense amounts of $$ to fix.

Comment

• Originally posted by JCT View Post
              Or its an effort to sabotage Indian carrier production. Sell them something that doesn't work, or will require immense amounts of $$ to fix.
              The catapults will work. The USN has no choice.

Comment

You mean Indian carriers are going to be launching this:
                Last edited by Firestorm; 27 Apr 18,, 00:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                  You mean Indian carriers are going to be launching this:
                  There was talk of F-16's earlier

Can F-16 work off carriers or only F-18's ?
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 27 Apr 18,, 07:48.

Comment

There was talk of F-16's earlier

Can F-16 work off carriers or only F-18's ?
                    F-18s. At this point, for CVs, it's F-18, Tejas, Rafale, Su-30 and Mig-29; SAAB are trying to sell a version of the Grippen for CVs, but I think it's highly unlikely. Come to think of it, I see this coming to bite the US in the rear: India acepts the catapult, proceeds to use it to fly off anything but the F-18...

Comment

• Well, then general dynamics won't be launching any of their planes from Indian carriers in that case.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                        Come to think of it, I see this coming to bite the US in the rear: India acepts the catapult, proceeds to use it to fly off anything but the F-18...
                        Why ? if the catapult was intended as a CBM then it will work to sell other planes and products

Rex said 100 year relationship, remember : D

Comment

Why ? if the catapult was intended as a CBM then it will work to sell other planes and products

Yeas, but I think the US' idea (apart from the political angle) is to use it as bait for an F-18 purchase.

Comment

Rex was a punk, couldn't last more than 1.2 years in the administration. I have come to admire Ashley Carter, it is because of him that we're seeing increased defense co-op between the 2 countries. Also ex-President Obama, though his frustration and growing weariness with Pak during his final years in office is what I dislike about him. That dislike is more strategic, than personal for many. To me, it's both. Politics aside, the Indian Naval Arm has Mig-29Ks, 45 IIRC, flying off the Vikramaditya, but with poor spares support and maintenance.

The question we should be asking is, do we want the same Soviet/Russian experience to withhold us or we're ready to look at it from a different perspective considering future defense acquisitions? If the US gives us the carrier technology, it only makes sense that India buys their products, and I am all for the F-18s. I am also in for the F-16, if there is a contract that F-35 would remain as a future buy for the IAF, after the necessary ecosystem is developed in India. Also if the F-16 gets selected, and the assembly line moves to India, Pak would be cut off from future support and upgrades and will be left buying whatever the Chinese offers.

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                            Yeas, but I think the US' idea (apart from the political angle) is to use it as bait for an F-18 purchase.
                            I like shiny, hi-tech golden baits, without even ToT, which can be used in wars against rouge states, and US would mind its own business. For far too long a section of US lawmakers have propped up rouge regimes. That needs to stop, if they have to do business with India.
                            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by JCT View Post
                              Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                              The catapults will work. The USN has no choice.
                              IIRC, it's for newer carriers that India is building, IAC-II to be precise.
                              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                                IIRC, it's for newer carriers that India is building, IAC-II to be precise.
                                Well, ofc. Afaik, you can't really install something like EMALs in an existing hull. At least not without massive rebulding.

Comment

Working...
                                X