Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 526 to 540 of 621

Thread: Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

  1. #526
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    Land of the One Horned Rhino
    Posts
    2,782
    IAF to start process to acquire single engine jets this month

    Who's up for a bet that the contract would take another 5 years to sign?

  2. #527
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    05 Sep 08
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    IAF to start process to acquire single engine jets this month

    Who's up for a bet that the contract would take another 5 years to sign?
    And... sudenly, mid-way, someone says "Hey, we should try the Korean T-50"...

  3. #528
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    Land of the One Horned Rhino
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by jlvfr View Post
    And... sudenly, mid-way, someone says "Hey, we should try the Korean T-50"...
    Don't be surprised if to molly-coddle the Chinese for the recent border flare up, the JF-17 is invited alongwith the F-16 and Gripen.

  4. #529
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    05 Sep 08
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Don't be surprised if to molly-coddle the Chinese for the recent border flare up, the JF-17 is invited alongwith the F-16 and Gripen.
    Doubt it, it would mean India having to get a "pakistani plane"...

    I wonder what cockpit version Saab is selling on the Grippen? Apparently the Swedish AF didn't like the Brazilian version with just 1 massive monitor...

  5. #530
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    Land of the One Horned Rhino
    Posts
    2,782
    I was being sarcastic.

  6. #531
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    05 Sep 08
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I was being sarcastic.
    Ah. ok. It's just that, at this point...

  7. #532
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    Land of the One Horned Rhino
    Posts
    2,782
    Haha. Indian arms acquisition has become sort of a joke worldwide, if it's not a govt to govt military deal.

  8. #533
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    Land of the One Horned Rhino
    Posts
    2,782
    French DM is in India, probably to talk about the sale of another 36 Rafales. US says they have obtained prior permission for selling F-16/F-18 to India.

    French defence minister in India on 2-day visit, holds talks with Sitharaman


    US to press India on F-16 and F-18 deal, to call for opening of its markets

    So, 72 Rafales for the IAF. 60 F-18s for the IN (EMALS for new carrier), and a 100+ F-16s for the IAF. This would be a political decision on what India gets in return from the US, and would take time, probably another 5 years.

  9. #534
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    Land of the One Horned Rhino
    Posts
    2,782
    Boeing to build Super Hornets in India

    Mig-29 and Gripen won't see the light of day. I thought Shornets are specifically for carrier operations, they are used by AFs too?

  10. #535
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    05 Sep 08
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Boeing to build Super Hornets in India

    Mig-29 and Gripen won't see the light of day. I thought Shornets are specifically for carrier operations, they are used by AFs too?
    Australia bought 24 to replace the F-111 while the F-35 doesn't arrive. There's no reason others can't use them, Boeing has been trying to sell it for years.

  11. #536
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    14 Mar 08
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    French DM is in India, probably to talk about the sale of another 36 Rafales. US says they have obtained prior permission for selling F-16/F-18 to India.

    French defence minister in India on 2-day visit, holds talks with Sitharaman


    US to press India on F-16 and F-18 deal, to call for opening of its markets

    So, 72 Rafales for the IAF. 60 F-18s for the IN (EMALS for new carrier), and a 100+ F-16s for the IAF. This would be a political decision on what India gets in return from the US, and would take time, probably another 5 years.
    I'd hate to be the IAF's logistics chief- that's at least five different fighters for the next twenty years- the F-16, F-18, Rafale, LCA and Su-30MKI.

    And one more if you count the MiG-29.

    And then there's the FGFA and AMCA.

  12. #537
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    05 Sep 08
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
    I'd hate to be the IAF's logistics chief- that's at least five different fighters for the next twenty years- the F-16, F-18, Rafale, LCA and Su-30MKI.

    And one more if you count the MiG-29.

    And then there's the FGFA and AMCA.
    Don't forget the Mig-21 and Jaguar... they'll still going to be around for some years...

  13. #538
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    15 Dec 06
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by jlvfr View Post
    Don't forget the Mig-21 and Jaguar... they'll still going to be around for some years...
    Mirage 2000s too. Just being upgraded and the IAF has been in love the bird since they bought it. Not going away anytime soon. In fact this whole MRCA nonsense started when the IAF asked for 126 more Mirages and the bean counters at the Ministry of Defense said "Hey you can't just buy what you want! There needs to be competitive bidding." That was more than 16 years ago. Ugh.
    Last edited by Firestorm; 18 Nov 17, at 22:28.

  14. #539
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    14 Mar 08
    Posts
    2,005
    Wait, what?!

    India Upends Its Single-Engine Fighter Competition and Will Also Consider Twin-Engine Jets

    At this point, are we sure that India actually wants to purchase medium fighters, and not a chance for bored MoD personnel to sit through foreign powerpoints?

  15. #540
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    Land of the One Horned Rhino
    Posts
    2,782
    Did not expect the BJP to surrender meekly to the amateurish Rafale scam accusations by the opposition thug party.

    Govt scraps single-engine fighter plan, asks IAF to go for wider competition

    It's not difficult to understand what a fucked up political discourse this country has inherited since independence. Everybody wants a seat at the table. Nobody thinks about the nation first.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Four MMRCA Contenders Fail Leh Trials!
    By NJS21 in forum Military Aviation
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01 Apr 10,, 21:23
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12 Aug 08,, 10:44
  3. SU 30MKI Vs Rafale
    By uss in forum Military Aviation
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 18 Oct 07,, 00:35
  4. SU 30MKI Vs Rafale
    By uss in forum Military Aviation
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03 Aug 05,, 05:18

Tags for this Thread

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •