Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAF to start process to acquire single engine jets this month

Who's up for a bet that the contract would take another 5 years to sign?
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      IAF to start process to acquire single engine jets this month

Who's up for a bet that the contract would take another 5 years to sign?
      And... sudenly, mid-way, someone says "Hey, we should try the Korean T-50"...

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
        And... sudenly, mid-way, someone says "Hey, we should try the Korean T-50"...
        Don't be surprised if to molly-coddle the Chinese for the recent border flare up, the JF-17 is invited alongwith the F-16 and Gripen.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Don't be surprised if to molly-coddle the Chinese for the recent border flare up, the JF-17 is invited alongwith the F-16 and Gripen.
          Doubt it, it would mean India having to get a "pakistani plane"...

I wonder what cockpit version Saab is selling on the Grippen? Apparently the Swedish AF didn't like the Brazilian version with just 1 massive monitor...

Comment

• I was being sarcastic.

Comment

I was being sarcastic.
              Ah. ok. It's just that, at this point...

Comment

• Haha. Indian arms acquisition has become sort of a joke worldwide, if it's not a govt to govt military deal.

Comment

• French DM is in India, probably to talk about the sale of another 36 Rafales. US says they have obtained prior permission for selling F-16/F-18 to India.

French defence minister in India on 2-day visit, holds talks with Sitharaman

US to press India on F-16 and F-18 deal, to call for opening of its markets

So, 72 Rafales for the IAF. 60 F-18s for the IN (EMALS for new carrier), and a 100+ F-16s for the IAF. This would be a political decision on what India gets in return from the US, and would take time, probably another 5 years. ;)

Comment

• Boeing to build Super Hornets in India

Mig-29 and Gripen won't see the light of day. I thought Shornets are specifically for carrier operations, they are used by AFs too?

Comment

Boeing to build Super Hornets in India

Mig-29 and Gripen won't see the light of day. I thought Shornets are specifically for carrier operations, they are used by AFs too?
                      Australia bought 24 to replace the F-111 while the F-35 doesn't arrive. There's no reason others can't use them, Boeing has been trying to sell it for years.

Comment

French DM is in India, probably to talk about the sale of another 36 Rafales. US says they have obtained prior permission for selling F-16/F-18 to India.

French defence minister in India on 2-day visit, holds talks with Sitharaman

US to press India on F-16 and F-18 deal, to call for opening of its markets

So, 72 Rafales for the IAF. 60 F-18s for the IN (EMALS for new carrier), and a 100+ F-16s for the IAF. This would be a political decision on what India gets in return from the US, and would take time, probably another 5 years. ;)
                        I'd hate to be the IAF's logistics chief- that's at least five different fighters for the next twenty years- the F-16, F-18, Rafale, LCA and Su-30MKI.

And one more if you count the MiG-29.

And then there's the FGFA and AMCA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                          I'd hate to be the IAF's logistics chief- that's at least five different fighters for the next twenty years- the F-16, F-18, Rafale, LCA and Su-30MKI.

And one more if you count the MiG-29.

And then there's the FGFA and AMCA.
                          Don't forget the Mig-21 and Jaguar... they'll still going to be around for some years...

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                            Don't forget the Mig-21 and Jaguar... they'll still going to be around for some years...
                            Mirage 2000s too. Just being upgraded and the IAF has been in love the bird since they bought it. Not going away anytime soon. In fact this whole MRCA nonsense started when the IAF asked for 126 more Mirages and the bean counters at the Ministry of Defense said "Hey you can't just buy what you want! There needs to be competitive bidding." That was more than 16 years ago. Ugh.
                            Last edited by Firestorm; 18 Nov 17,, 23:28.

Comment

• Wait, what?!

India Upends Its Single-Engine Fighter Competition and Will Also Consider Twin-Engine Jets

At this point, are we sure that India actually wants to purchase medium fighters, and not a chance for bored MoD personnel to sit through foreign powerpoints?

Comment

• Did not expect the BJP to surrender meekly to the amateurish Rafale scam accusations by the opposition thug party.

Govt scraps single-engine fighter plan, asks IAF to go for wider competition

It's not difficult to understand what a fucked up political discourse this country has inherited since independence. Everybody wants a seat at the table. Nobody thinks about the nation first.

Comment

Working...
                                X