Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    If the understanding was send money to A and expectation created to receive payment from B for other services. This reflects badly on India.
    It is human nature to expect for return favours.. So it was natural that Brits expected India to buy their Euro Fighter and when we didn't they ranted. That doesn't put India in bad light.

Comment

• Yes, but it does not make sense to me to link aid to future contracts. If a country can afford to buy much more than the aid proferred then why does that country even qualify for aid in the first place.

This is why i wonder whether some private understanding has taken place. Once it became apparent the Brits were not going to get the deal they started singing.

Have asked this question in earlier threads and nobody was able to explain how UK aid works and what expectations, if any there are. I cannot expect there are any, otherwise it ain't aid.

Comment

Yes, but it does not make sense to me to link aid to future contracts. If a country can afford to buy much more than the aid proferred then why does that country even qualify for aid in the first place.

This is why i wonder whether some private understanding has taken place. Once it became apparent the Brits were not going to get the deal they started singing.

Have asked this question in earlier threads and nobody was able to explain how UK aid works and what expectations, if any there are. I cannot expect there are any, otherwise it ain't aid.
        IMO these days most f the aid's given by any country is purely to satisfy it's political interest in the future.. Humanitarian based Aid's are very rare and only during the times of natural calamity. Every country wants to invest in Africa why ? So later they can take advantage of the unexplored mineral wealth in those countries not because of people dying everyday due to hunger. Also it is mentioned in the thread that Govt Of Britain begged India to continue getting the aid eventhough Indian refused it in first place. If I am not wrong even USA gets Aid from other countries eventhough it's economy is huge. So no wonder Britain wanted to send aid to India.

Comment

Seconded.

So that makes two of us.

BM ?
          Because rejecting the aid implies that India owes Britain something and that is something that Indians don't like. Go to BR forums and see what they think of Britain right now after Britain start crying and bitching about aid programme after they failed to secure MMRCA.

Comment

Indeed, now why would they have gotten that impression.

If the understanding was send money to A and expectation created to receive payment from B for other services.

This reflects badly on India. The Brits are just working the system.

Either that or this is an elaborate CYA to explain away a lost deal.
            Why would it reflect badly on Indians? Care to explain that comment? So seconded.

Comment

• It implies, unofficially ofc, that a bribe offered by UK would be accepted by India in exchange for a future deal or rather whomever was managing this deal on the Indian side.

Didn't we set out to make sure the bidding pricess for this deal would be transparent and straight.

Go to BR forums and see what they think of Britain right now after Britain start crying and bitching about aid programme after they failed to secure MMRCA.
              I'd imagine so, but in the process of transacting a bribe there is a giver & a taker. I'm looking at the other party ;)

If you want to accuse the Brits of offering a bribe than is India above suspicion of receving such a bribe.

If i know the Brits, they're not the kind to throw their money into the sea. They must have thought they had a reasonsable chance of making it back some how.

The troubling implication here is it raises the question of UK public funds in the name of aid, ending up in the pockets of UK private arms suppliers.

Have to say this aid business is all a bit murky.

Originally posted by comander
              IMO these days most f the aid's given by any country is purely to satisfy it's political interest in the future.. Humanitarian based Aid's are very rare and only during the times of natural calamity. Every country wants to invest in Africa why ? So later they can take advantage of the unexplored mineral wealth in those countries not because of people dying everyday due to hunger. Also it is mentioned in the thread that Govt Of Britain begged India to continue getting the aid eventhough Indian refused it in first place. If I am not wrong even USA gets Aid from other countries eventhough it's economy is huge. So no wonder Britain wanted to send aid to India.
              Public funds, in the name of aid used to net projects for private companies.

or public funds going into some private companies pockets ?

Comment

If i know the Brits, they're not the kind to throw their money into the sea. They must have thought they had a reasonsable chance of making it back some how.
                I am sure they already did through other arms purchases or haven't they ??? I am unable to pin point the deals but I am sure it was mentioned in this thread earlier...IMO the Brits just got greedy and badmouthed India when their intentions didn't work out.

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
                  I am sure they already did through other arms purchases or haven't they ??? I am unable to pin point the deals but I am sure it was mentioned in this thread earlier...IMO the Brits just got greedy and badmouthed India when their intentions didn't work out.
                  Exactly and that is what Indian MPs will remember and not look any favorably toward any deals with UK. Cameran just burned all of his bridges with India that he built when he visited India with the aid talk and furor over the MMRCA decision.

Comment

• One possible scenario where I think BM's claim could hold ground about future arms dealings with UK would be , During the next round of purchasing , If at all India decides to go with British machines It will face immense pressure from opposition and the media's who will just try to tarnish the image of then ruling government which will force then ruling party to act otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
                      IMO the Brits just got greedy and badmouthed India when their intentions didn't work out.
                      If true it would be incredibly short sighted of the Brits so i'm sceptical of this.

India will be a major arms customer for the next ten years, you mean to tell me that the MMRCA deal was the only chance the Brits had of selling us anything. COurse not.

I think there has been some misunderstanding some where. lets see how this present enquiry goes. The brits fired their warning shot, there may be more in the pipeline. If they can show that there were some irregularities then the whole deal gets scuttled. The mood in the country presently is very anti-corruption.

The Brits then offer a major discount and bag the deal.

Close in of Cameron shaking a foot in Parliament to the sounds of Waterloo by ABBA
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Mar 12,, 22:13.

Comment

If true it would be incredibly short sighted of the Brits so i'm sceptical of this.

India will be a major arms customer for the next ten years, you mean to tell me that the MMRCA deal was the only chance the Brits had of selling us anything. COurse not.

I think there has been some misunderstanding some where. lets see how this present enquiry goes. The brits fired their warning shot, there may be more in the pipeline. If they can show that there were some irregularities then the whole deal gets scuttled. The mood in the country presently is very anti-corruption.

The Brits then offer a major discount and bag the deal :)
                        Well the way I look at it , UK is in dire need to stabilize it's economy now and it needs the jobs that could be saved or created through this deal now which would ease some pressure off the govt. It certainly didn't overlook the fact that India is going to be a major defence market in next 2 to 3 decades maybe BUT like I said it should stabilize it's economy now so it bad mouthed. Or maybe it was some stupid politician like in India trying to get famous for a short period of time and the rest followed him ??

Or like you said there could be something lurking underground like the Bofors maybe ???

Comment

Wish we could locate that complaint Reddy filed on Feb 27, a glance at that will make it much more clear.
                          Here you go mate:

His complaint seems to read like a bad joke and, I'm now fully convinced the man has taken bribes to try and kill the Rafale deal in favour of the British. That most of our MPs are morons is made ample clear in his poorly googled "facts" about the Rafale doing poorly in Libya and Eurofighter being called up in its place. He has no clue what he is talking about, and I feel that the CBI should spend their time investigating him.

MoD's response:

Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

• MMRCA has finally come to an end albeit an unusual one. Compelled by a depleting squadron strength, the entire contract process has been shelved.

Instead of the original 126 jets, the indian govt is importing 36 ready-made rafales for a cost of 4 billion which will take another two years for delivery. (still pending official confirmation)

That's the end of this.
                            Last edited by anil; 11 Apr 15,, 18:54.

Comment

• Originally posted by anil View Post
                              MMRCA has finally come to an end albeit an unusual one. Compelled by a depleting squadron strength, the entire contract process has been shelved.

Instead of the original 126 jets, the indian govt is importing 36 ready-made rafales for a cost of 4 billion which will take another two years for delivery. (still pending official confirmation)

That's the end of this.
                              Guess they decided to channel funds for the future of the T-50... good luck with that...

Comment

• I don't have the link, but I read somewhere this was basically a partial-order just to keep everything rolling until a final order was placed.

Comment

Working...
                                X