Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philippines may allow greater U.S. military presence in reaction to China’s rise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
    Let me spell this out one more time.
    He's saying what he is supposed to say. However, he has a small amount of input on whatever policy, as such minimum credibility at the issue. US Policy changes very rapidly, and even are working in the background when otherwise publicity said otherwise. Adm. Robert Willard comments do not make me believe any less that there are people seriously looking into this issue and would seek added greater capability. Looking at the entire situation, as I will spell it out again for you, is we have a limited amount of bases, and some of those bases are within close range to China. The others are in Guam, which is limited, and then farther away in Honolulu.
    sigpic

Comment

Keep this mind

The constitution of the Philippines forbids foreign military bases without a treaty.
      “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
        Keep this mind
        Do you have the exact wording on type of treaty it requires for the construction of a base? Perhaps that would be more helpful, as opposed to just a "treaty" as if a Country is going to invest millions in a base I am sure a treaty would be worked out. Now if it was something like a constitutional amendment amending a constitution then that would be difficult.
        sigpic

Comment

The easiest way to sanction the Phillipines is simply to not allow their people to work in your country's factory, that is true for almost all SE Asian countries who export massive amount of labors to other countries. If they're enough of them are send home without jobs hell would break loose

Comment

If the Philippines don't want US bases, what about establishing such bases in Taiwan??

The native Taiwanese would no doubt be happy to see the US military expell the Republic of China government in exile which has been mismanaging "Formosa and the Pescadores" for over half a century.

Comment

Originally posted by qnextt View Post
              If the Philippines don't want US bases, what about establishing such bases in Taiwan??

The native Taiwanese would no doubt be happy to see the US military expell the Republic of China government in exile which has been mismanaging "Formosa and the Pescadores" for over half a century.
              Good one. I needed the laugh after dealing with a broken Google set up on my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by qnextt View Post
                The native Taiwanese would no doubt be happy to see the US military expell the Republic of China government in exile
                Really?

Wow...just wow. :bang:
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The US doesn't want bases in the Philippines, they're too expensive to maintain and too visible, aside from being a violation of the Philippine Constitution. However, there are such things called Cooperative Security Locations in the southern Philippines to solve the need for maintaining a force presence. At anytime there are between 2,000 to 3,000 US military personnel in CSLs training and some say fighting alongside Philippine soldiers against Moro (Muslim) separatists. CSLs are semi-permanent sites where the US military can park their hardware and just ship over their soldiers any time, as in the 2x-yearly Balikatan Exercises.

An example of a CSL is Gen. Santos City, where the civilian airport was paved about 10 yrs ago with military-grade concrete. Another is the deep sea port in Saranggani, which has been used to ship in US military personnel from time to time. The standard canned response from both US and Philippine military personnel has been that the US forces are here in an "advisory capacity." But really, 2,000 advisers? Some of the interviewed Moro rebel leaders I recall spoke of being eyeball-to-eyeball with GI's in jungle warfare.

Comment

And of course post-Afghanistan, post-Iraq and with Obama's Asian pivot, these CSL's have taken on a new role, much like how US bases in Japan used to be for tamping down Japanese militarist tendencies, and now are for protecting Japan vs Nokor, China.

Comment

Originally posted by Reptilian View Post
                      The standard canned response from both US and Philippine military personnel has been that the US forces are here in an "advisory capacity." But really, 2,000 advisers? Some of the interviewed Moro rebel leaders I recall spoke of being eyeball-to-eyeball with GI's in jungle warfare.
                      Yeah, "advisors" has, for years, been a polite bit of sophistry (also known as "bullshit") that everybody else politely ignores.

The Russian "advisors" recently dispatched to Syria for example.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                      X