Course of the Costa Concordia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Course of the Costa Concordia

Here is GPS tracking of the Costa Concordia leading up to the grounding. What do you seafarer types make of it?

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ne...+Concordia.wmv
    Last edited by JAD_333; 22 Jan 12,, 23:05.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

When I got this chart, there was no explanation. I found another source that says the ship hit the rocks and then drifted full circle back to the island. The speed at impact is about 10-12 knots. It slows to 6.5 knots very quickly, heads out to sea, spins full circle and then seems to drift back to the island. It's speed at that point is 0.5 knots of thereabout.

What I don't understand is why it lost power.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Yeah I saw that, why did it turn back? Can you turn a cruise liner that quickly... also, its kind hard to tell the distance in that, there is no scale, anyone know the length of one square?
      sigpic

Comment

If I had to guess I would say the gash ripped in the bottom of the hull either shorted out the switchboards or disabled the generators when they flooded. It is doubtfull they were in any condition to do quick damage control for flooding and it seems they struck pretty hard.

This is some of the damage down the aft port side. Consider a ship this size 112,000 tons (from her site) doing even say 10 knots to be reserved. It is still doing almost 12 miles per hour. All of the momentum of the ship itself is going to drive it over whatever it struck for atleast several seconds perhaps more judging by the damage after impact.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...3_1437844a.jpg
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
          If I had to guess I would say the gash ripped in the bottom of the hull either shorted out the switchboards or disabled the generators when they flooded. It is doubtfull they were in any condition to do quick damage control for flooding and it seems they struck pretty hard.

This is some of the damage down the aft port side. Consider a ship this size 112,000 tons (from her site) doing even say 10 knots to be reserved. It is still doing almost 12 miles per hour. All of the momentum of the ship itself is going to drive it over whatever it struck for atleast several seconds perhaps more judging by the damage after impact.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...3_1437844a.jpg
          One of the divers said the rock goes into the engine room. but from what I have been told by friends in our USCG the ship hit the rocks at the tip of the island while trying to give the head waiter a look (he was born and grew up there) and the island a blast of the horn. You can see in the graphic where the ship hits the rocks. I think what happened in the turn was when the captain realized it was sinking he turned as fast as he could to get back to shore or atleast close enough to disembark passengers (or himself) safely...

Comment

"The name Concordia was intended to express the wish for "continuing harmony, unity, and peace between European nations"." Costa Concordia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oops.

Comment

Crazy skipper, so many lives lost for a stupid reason.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Geek moment: live feed of getting her upright. Int them engineeries clever wee chaps.
                Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Click on the live reuters feed part way down the page.
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

The muddy side of Costa Concordia:

Attached Files
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Hard to believe that the costs of the salvage and recovery operations is now equivalent of building a new cruise ship like Costa Concordia.

Comment

Where the ideas and tech originally came from. The "righting" of the Oklahoma March 8th 1943. Three months after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Although unlike the Concordia, the Oklahoma was turned "turtle" where as the Concordia was on its side.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/013724.jpg
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                      X