What if? Roman Army vs. USMC MEU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAY 3

Nelson and his command staff are stunned. Not one of his men speaks more than a dozen words in Latin. Nelson begins assembling a list of possible interpreters from his Spanish-speaking soldiers, and at the suggestion of a classically minded major he adds the dozen or so Marines fluent in German.

He pores over the inventories. His aviation fuel won't last longer than six months, the high-octane fuel necessary to run the Humvees maybe another year after that. He knows that he could technically rig machines to run on wood gas or even coal, but that seems highly impractical.

He has ammunition. He has fuel. He has food. He has medical supplies. But he doesn't have that much of any of these things. The 35th MEU was going to be dependent on a vast logistical pipeline from the first day of its deployment. He commanded one of the most powerful, terrifying forces in the world - especially in what appeared to be its new (old?) world - but it was one with a short half-life.

He calls in a few of his senior commanders. And Delacroix. A decision has to be made soon. The men are increasingly terrified and stunned by whispers of what the sequestered Sea Knight crews discovered. Soon, demands for information will come. After that would come the realization that any of these men had the power and knowledge to lead a kingdom in this world.

"We need a mission, and fast," Nelson says. "Or we're going to disintegrate and spread a civil war over this empire that'll leave it in such ruins the Mongols won't bother stopping here a thousand years from now."

Delacroix steps forward and says, "Colonel, I may have an idea."

As the conference progresses, a slight man is plucked from the swamp by two Marine sentries. His insistent declarations are in no language they recognize, although Private Hector Menendez finds something eerily familiar about it. What he wants is easy enough to understand, however - he wants to be taken to their leader.

And 50 miles to the east, the Praetorian Guard assembles at the head of a hastily assembled force of volunteers and grey-headed veterans recalled to the standard. A banner snaps in the wind. A horn blows, drums roll, and 10,000 men begin marching west.
    Last edited by YellowFever; 20 Jan 12,, 06:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by troung View Post
      Dude come on.

Seeing a thousand guys they sure aren't going to snap their fingers and think time to dig in. Even if they did after a series of horrible losses with whatever troops still had any fight in them decide to dig a trench; they would be defending a trench line with rock throwing machines and sword swords - it would be a totally one sided slaughter. Even though they have air filled tire trucks like the UAH and LAV-25 they would simply walk through the Romans.

They would to answer the OP take Rome with probably a handful of people dead.

Seriously I get that some people like to argue with the majority but come on. Replay Panipat with modern artillery, tanks, airplanes, helicopters, machine guns and assault rifles on one side and large daggers and throwing sticks on the other. The Aztecs had a better chance with the Spanish.
      I'm not thinking conventional warfare but insurgency.
      You have to patrol a area linking 3 continents while outnumbered 136 to 1.
      J'ai en marre.

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
        DAY 3

Nelson and his command staff are stunned. Not one of his men speaks more than a dozen words in Latin. Nelson begins assembling a list of possible interpreters from his Spanish-speaking soldiers, and at the suggestion of a classically minded major he adds the dozen or so Marines fluent in German.

He pores over the inventories. His aviation fuel won't last longer than six months, the high-octane fuel necessary to run the Humvees maybe another year after that. He knows that he could technically rig machines to run on wood gas or even coal, but that seems highly impractical.

He has ammunition. He has fuel. He has food. He has medical supplies. But he doesn't have that much of any of these things. The 35th MEU was going to be dependent on a vast logistical pipeline from the first day of its deployment. He commanded one of the most powerful, terrifying forces in the world - especially in what appeared to be its new (old?) world - but it was one with a short half-life.

He calls in a few of his senior commanders. And Delacroix. A decision has to be made soon. The men are increasingly terrified and stunned by whispers of what the sequestered Sea Knight crews discovered. Soon, demands for information will come. After that would come the realization that any of these men had the power and knowledge to lead a kingdom in this world.

"We need a mission, and fast," Nelson says. "Or we're going to disintegrate and spread a civil war over this empire that'll leave it in such ruins the Mongols won't bother stopping here a thousand years from now."

Delacroix steps forward and says, "Colonel, I may have an idea."

As the conference progresses, a slight man is plucked from the swamp by two Marine sentries. His insistent declarations are in no language they recognize, although Private Hector Menendez finds something eerily familiar about it. What he wants is easy enough to understand, however - he wants to be taken to their leader.

And 50 miles to the east, the Praetorian Guard assembles at the head of a hastily assembled force of volunteers and grey-headed veterans recalled to the standard. A banner snaps in the wind. A horn blows, drums roll, and 10,000 men begin marching west.
        I'm liking this, Yellow; you and zraver need to get together and write a book.
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Can't believe this stupid thread got 9 pages.Things must be real smooth out there since obsviously there's a lack of subjects to talk about.

These muthafacka Marines better take me with them,since I had a year of Latin in highschool and the world around seem sto be getting too crazy even for my tastes.We'll make the world a better place.The rest of you bastards should by now be preparing to explore the outer rim of the galaxy
          Those who know don't speak
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
            These muthafacka Marines better take me with them,since I had a year of Latin in highschool and the world around seem sto be getting too crazy even for my tastes.We'll make the world a better place.The rest of you bastards should by now be preparing to explore the outer rim of the galaxy
            They are going to need someone to carry all that aviation fuel and high octane on his back, since it obviously does not fit in the trucks they have. :whome:
            J'ai en marre.

Comment

• Sorry,but the mules of Marius would be on the other side.In this case I'd be as turncoat as one can be.
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• yep, no ships - the guy who wrote the scenario has a deal with a movie company - the MEU is on the ground and gets transposed to ancient Rome.
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                  I'm liking this, Yellow; you and zraver need to get together and write a book.
                  Not my work.

It was in the link of the first post on this thread......

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...empire_during/
                  Last edited by YellowFever; 20 Jan 12,, 08:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979 View Post
                    They are going to need someone to carry all that aviation fuel and high octane on his back, since it obviously does not fit in the trucks they have. :whome:
                    According to the scenario you quoted, they had at least 6 months worth of aviation fuel and at least a year of high octane for the tracks/humvees.

Comment

According to the scenario you quoted, they had at least 6 months worth of aviation fuel and at least a year of high octane for the tracks/humvees.
                      They have 30 seven ton trucks, how do suggest transporting it to Spain, Greece or North Africa ?
                      J'ai en marre.

Comment

• As I've said before, if the goal is to take Rome...they are already there!

Why do they have to take it to Spain, Greece or North Africa?

Hey, I'm just flowing with the scenarios outlined by the OP and the linked story.

Why do they have to attack those places when Rome is right in front of them?

Comment

• By steam engined galleys? :whome:

Btw,steam power was discovered in Alexandria.They just didn't think of using it to power ships.

Comment

As I've said before, if the goal is to take Rome...they are already there!

Why do they have to take it to Spain, Greece or North Africa?

Hey, I'm just flowing with the scenarios outlined by the OP and the linked story.

Why do they have to attack those places when Rome is right in front of them?
                            That might be the Marines objective.
                            however you might want to consider that Augustus could have a divergent objective : controlling as much population and resources of the empire as possible.
                            J'ai en marre.

Comment

That's great...except US military vehicles haven't used high octane for over 2 decades. The military uses JP-8, a kerosene derivative or JP-5 for naval aircraft. And teh MEU log battalion has HEMMT fuelers to carry the fuel.

JP-8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just want to make sure if we are talking in logistics we talk correctly.

And you can not just use olive oil, etc. You may be able to use it in some small generators, cooking implements, etc., but there are no fuels in ancient Rome which will work for the vehicles or aircraft.
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                                yep, no ships - the guy who wrote the scenario has a deal with a movie company - the MEU is on the ground and gets transposed to ancient Rome.
                                Wow. The story of the random internet poster getting a movie deal is almost better than the story he wrote...crazy.
                                I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X